PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Doctor gave me Aygestin (Norethindrone) to stop period

As I previously posted I have been having very irregular periods and I have been on my period for 55 days now. I saw my OB/GYN yesterday who was wonderful. She gave me a prescription for Aygestin which I think is basically a progesterone type hormone. She said it should turn my period off slowly. I have a weeks supply of medication.
I had blood work done and also have to go in for a pelvic ultrasound. Once I go back in for a followup she is going to talk about a "long term" solution. She didn't bring up birth control at all because she knows I want to get pregnant--She's so awesome!
And funnily enough she didn't even mention my weight--which is double awesome!

So, just posting this in case anyone does a search in the future and is going through a similar very long period and needs help!

Oh, by the way, my period went from super heavy with clots, to barely spotting. So I think it's working but we'll see!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #2  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Yaaaay!!! I love when things work out!!! I hope u get preggers too. I'm TTC also
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #3  

Thanks! I am *hoping* to lose weight quickly because I'd definitely like to weigh less before I get pregnant.. but I definitely don't want to go on b/c.. so I'll let "nature take it's course"..
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #4  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

I know what you mean. That's what I'm doing too. I hope it works for you too. One problem down - now on tithe good stuff. Weight loss and babies
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Norehisterone works in stopping your period but in my experience it comes back with a vengence when you stop taking it. My doctor had me take it 3 weeks on 1 week off but that week off was a nightmare with bad pre-menstrual sypmtoms that I didn't suffer from previously. I preferred the nearly constant bleeding! BTW I don't have PCOS but do have hormonal problems.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #6  

KforKitty- You are right! As soon as my week supply ended my period came back =(
THIS SUCKS SO BAD!