PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #1  
cydneyrm

S/C/G: current 180/goal 135

Height: 5ft 1

Default I just want to be a beautiful bride

Hello everyone! This is my first time on this sight and I am pretty excited. I am getting ready for my upcoming wedding. It's in 6 months and I can hardly wait. I got my butt in gear and i'm trying to lose weight. I hired a personal trainer november 1st and havent lost a single pound. He keeps telling me to hang in there because i've lost inches. I have PCOS and I had heard that made it difficult to lose weight. Apparently that's true. I carry all the weight in my stomach so people are constantly asking me if i'm pregnant (which i'm not).
I also have discoloration on my neck (weird brown 'velvety' skin) which is apparently a symptom of the pcos. I put on my gorgeous wedding dress and all I see is a 'baby bump' and brown rings on my neck. I just want to feel gorgeous on my day. Anyone have any words of wisdom?
cydney
cydneyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You are gorgeous how you are -- and will be on your wedding! Your intended loves you for YOU!

Trainer is right -- if you lose inches, this is what changes dress sizes. Not weight, so who cares where weight is?

You can also change dress, change foundation garments, etc. to flatter and minimize tummy, so don't stress out about your clothes. You are celebrating your union, not the dress, the party stuff, etc.

Brown stuff is called acanthosis nigricans and comes from excess insulin spilling out through the skin. Neck, armpits, elbows, knees, groin, ankles, etc. They can fade, but only when your blood sugars are in check.

http://www.driscollchildrens.org/dia...0questions.asp

I am trying to fade mine, and it takes a while of balanced eating. You might want to check it all out with an endocrinologist. For a time I had to go on Metformin but got to where I could come off it.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-19-2010 at 02:19 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 348/315/200

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations on your engagement. astrophe is right you're going to look gorgeous. PCOS tends to make us gain weight in the middle area but foundation garments like she said can help out. I had some luck with my dark patches fading when I started adding cinnamon in my diet, it's been said to help with insulin resistance.
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

I have been trying Insulin Resistance diet and it is really helping me to lose weight. You can look for the book in your public library.
Basically it emphasize on eating low GI carb and have 7 grams of protein with every 15 grams of carb. Also, not to have more than 30 grams of carbs in one meal.
Its link and balance method is interesting and is helping me a lot. Try cutting sugar and artificial sweeteners from your diet.

Last edited by healthyliving; 03-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #5  
cydneyrm

S/C/G: current 180/goal 135

Height: 5ft 1

thank you guys so much!!!!

what exactly does cinnamon do? Does it really help? And I keep hearing about the insulin resistant diet, is this something that really works? lol. I've only known I had pcos for about a year now. (i'm 21). They tried me on a couple different birth control pills to see if that would help but they both just made me terribly sick. (vommiting, fainting, hot flashes etc.).
cydneyrm is offline   Reply With Quote