PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 09:41 PM   #1  

Default Anyone on Actos?

Metformin didn't work out too well for me, the diarrhea was WAY too much for me to take. I asked my doc about going on XR but we don't get it in Canada! So he put me on Actos. Anyone been on this before? Side effects? Results? Anything you can tell me would be great!
Old 08-20-2002, 12:11 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Pooky, I did some research and overall it sounds good. Sounds like doctors are as happy with it's results as Gluc. I read about some people finally ovulating and getting pregnant while on it, and one article said not to take 'while' pregnant, so that was sort of confusing... I got this info on it...you'll be glad to read that nausea and diarrhea are not on the list of side effects!

"Pioglitazone hydrochloride (Actos) — The most commonly reported side effects include upper respiratory tract infection, headache, sinus infection, muscle soreness, tooth disorder, and sore throat. It may cause mild to moderate swelling (edema) and decrease in blood count (anemia) in some patients. The prescribing information indicates that the effect of Actos on oral contraceptives has not been studied, but because of its relation to Rezulin it is recommended that patients not wishing to become pregnant exercise additional caution regarding contraception. Like Avandia, Actos is generally considered safer than Rezulin as far as liver toxicity is concerned, but it is also newer on the market and not used by as many people. Liver testing is recommended ever two months the first year of use, and quarterly thereafter."

I got this from http://www.inciid.org/faq/pcos4.html

Hope it helps!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #3  

Aah Jennifer you're a star! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:20 PM   #4  

Angry

Hi, I was on glucophage for a while, but, the doctor took me off of it cause he thought that it did all that it was going to do. He also really wanted me on 2 pills a day and since I could not tolerate no more than 1, he seen no reason to keep me on them. They did work for the time that I was on them, though. He feels that if I lose some weight, everything will fall into place. Unfortunately, I have never heard of Actos; if I do, I will definitely let you know. Does it work like the Glucophage? Good luck!

Princessdurr
Old 08-20-2002, 10:21 PM   #5  

Had my first side effect from the Actos--headache city! But it was a low grade one so I think I can deal with it. So far so good--no sore tummy on day 2 and all is well! I think I'm really going to like this stuff!

princess, sounds like your doc has the right idea but losing weight is difficult if you have PCOS. That's why we need the extra help from some sort of meds. Gluc was really killing my tummy and the nausea and diarrhea were unbelieveable! Ask your doc about alternatives to Gluc, some of us here are on Gluc XR with less tummy irritation, I'm on Actos, and there is also Avandia. These meds and of course, a low carb diet and regular exercise can keep the effects of PCOS in check. Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #6  

Pooky,

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better with the Actos. I hope that all goes well and stays that way.

You are definitely right about the diet; it is extremely difficult to lose weight and keep it off when you have PCOS. I am so glad that there are boards such as this one where people can actually talk about their concerns and progresses made. It definitely helps!

I think that I am going to try and find out more about that Actos and Avandia. I heard of the Avandia already, but, do not know all that much about it. I have heard that it does have some not so good side effects, but, it never hurts to ask the doctor.

Definitely keep me posted on your progress and I hope that everything goes well!

Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2002, 01:05 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Pooky, I just wanted to tell you I am envious that you are on Actos! I would like to try it sometime instead of Poopophage!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:51 AM   #8  

Talking Jennifer...

I love that Poopaphage! It should taper down over the next few weeks, so hang in there (and keep buying toilet paper in bulk) Also, heads up on Avandia. I have type II diabetes and lot of folks are on that. Hate to break it to you, but one of the know side effects of that one is....WEIGHT GAIN!!!!, run flee as fast as you can. I think the weight gain comes from the fact that Avandia is known for causing water retenion and swelling in the legs. If you shows signs of this, you have to get off it and try something else. I don't know about the Actos though. Also, with these drugs, your liver enzymes need to be monitored. These are from the same class of drugs that Rezulin is that caused so many problems. These are supposed to be safer, however, you won't know how it's effecting you, unless you get tested.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:35 AM   #9  

OK, It's been about a week and a half and I LOVE Actos! I have NO side effects (OK, maybe a teensy bit). and I can have a normal life! The only side effects I get is within the first 2hours of taking it--kind of silly head and feeling kind of hot. I take it after dinner so I have a full tummy and it's just perfect! I haven't noticed any significant weight gain. Jennifer, hie thee to thy doctor and ask for this stuff, it's great!!
Closed Thread