PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #1  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Smile Mittelschmerz - Have you heard about this?

I was reading an article about some lady who used an iPhone app to get pregnant and saw this word - so I looked it up.
Funny thing is, I have been feeling pain on my right side for a while now but if course haven't gone to the dr. I was afraid they were going to say it's appendicitis and try to cut me open but after a while the pain went away. Then one day that same pain happened on the left side.
Do any of you ladies experience this also?? Has anyone gone to the dr about this?? I looked it up and it briefly mentioned PCOS.
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Well, mittelschmerz isn't particularly related to pcos (although it can be). It just relates to the cramping associated with the egg busting out of it's holding cell, which can hurt!

I do have pcos and when I DO ovulate, my body makes it known. I get these twinges and pangs, usually on my right side (but sometimes the left). I don't know if that's specific to pcos because I've read about it in non-pcos related texts.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-25-2010 at 01:14 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yes, lots of women have some sensation while ovulating. It's called Mittelschmerz. I've had it ever since I can remember at exactly 14 days when my periods were 28 days. It would sometimes last for a day or two. It was often bad enough that I took tylenol or ibuprofen.
Although I could feel it on both sides, it was always worse on the right, which it turns out was the ovary they removed with my hysterectomy because it was cystic and scarred.
Pain is a warning sign and should always be discussed with your doc. You'll both be better informed should it ever evolve into trouble.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #4  
HE'S my motivation!

Does that happen only when you ovulate or can it be cause my body is trying to ovulate?! I didn't think I did ovulate because of my PCOS being so bad. Even my dr wanted to put me on meds so I can ovulate. Ugh! Guess I'll have to go to my dr. Fun stuff!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

You know, since coming off BCP, my body will attempt ovulation and I will definitely feel it. I can usually expect to ovulate 2 weeks later. I'm just sluggish I guess . I know when I definitely ovulate because then my boobs hurt for a week after (and my temps reflect it). But yes, I will try to ovulate and get the accompanying cramping.

It's for this reason I am waiting to start Clomid. Definitely mention this to your doc, as Susan said! It can give them some insight.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #6  
HE'S my motivation!

I plan to go this Friday. I was told I didn't ovulate & I don't want to get my hopes up. I was happy to know I didn't need them to take out any pieces from my body LOL

I hope this is good news even tho the pain is horrible. I feel it right now on both sides. Ugh!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

Are you charting your temps? That will let you know if you actually have ovulated. I've found it very helpful.

When I first went in (for pain), I took my charts with me and when the nurse practitioner said she didn't think I had ovulated based on my long cycles I whipped them out and said, "have to!". It was quite obnoxious, but it made a difference in how strong the meds they rx'd and the course of treatment. It's not 100%, but I'm definitely aware of what's going on.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I'd like to hear how you make out. Will you come back and let us know?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
some lady who used an iPhone app to get pregnant
Am I reading this correctly?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #10  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

I still get the pain sometimes when I ovultae. When I was a teenager it was really bad, so bad they thought it was appendicitis and I went to see a surgeon. He was able to correctly dianose it through an a rectal exam - eeuuwww).

I inly have the pain on my right side for some reason.

I don't have PCOS, and had no problem getting pregnant.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Quote:
Quote:
some lady who used an iPhone app to get pregnant
Am I reading this correctly?
If you & I read this right, the resulting child had a graphical user interface that looked like it had been created by Steve Jobs.

ETA: Parents used to tell young, curious children who asked too many questions about sex & birth that they'd been found out in a cabbage patch. Well, most children nowadays aren't familiar with farming. So now perhaps they will tell them "We created your little brother with an iPhone app."

Last edited by saef; 01-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't normally notice pain when I ovulate, but this month is my first cycle of IUI with Clomid and boy did I know when I ovulated. I could feel them burst! It was a strange sensation.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for explaining that, Saef. I'm 71 and always wondered how babies were made.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #14  
HE'S my motivation!

Junebug - Nobody has ever told me when to do this. Honestly when it comes to all this stuff I'm on my own & that's why I come on here. My mom is aware of my condition but I would rather not go to her because this is a first in our family. Help! (??)

Ruth - LOL Maybe I should have said a bit more. She downloaded an app that helped her pinpoint when she was ovulating and when she got pregnant it told her the exact date she would deliver the baby and it was right. But it didn't offer any kind of assistance haha

Susan - Oh def. will come back & let everyone know what happened. I'm ALWAYS on here. I love this place :-D
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

Nicoya, it definitely sucks when you feel like you're on this journey by yourself

A dear friend put "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler into my hands and I am forever grateful. It's not a cure-all, but it helps teach you to be in tune with what's going on. If you have any questions about charting please feel free to PM me.

I really think you need to find a doctor that's going to get to the bottom of the pain and everything else. I went in for pain and irregular cycles and they responded immediately. As it turned out, I do have polycystic ovaries and need a little help ovulating, but having the support of my doctor through this journey has made all the difference in the world... that, and reading my butt off!

Last edited by junebug41; 01-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.