PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Metformin?
Nausea 3 21.43%
Diarrhea 9 64.29%
Thirst 0 0%
Dizziness 0 0%
Weakness/Lethargy 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 01:02 PM   #1  

Default What side effects do you hate most on Metformin?

I have to say I am curious as to how others feel about Metformin and if they feel it is really working for them. I'm on 1500 mg and since I'm ttc #2, I am going to go on 100mg Clomid to help ovulation.

Last edited by Pooky; 07-03-2002 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:09 PM   #2  

I think most ppl would agree, the frequent runs to the bathrooms would make it the worse side effect. BUT it does get better. I promise you. Only really happens now (after 3 weeks) is when I eat alot of carbs. I shouldn't be anyways.

Best wishes with your journey for a baby..keep the faith.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Default I agree!

I took the regular Glucophage last round and I had probably more GI problems than the average person. The XR is supposed to be much easier on the stomach. I was prescribed it about 10 days ago, but the insurance company hasn't mailed it to me yet!
They said I should have it by the end of the week. I will let you know how I feel in a week!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:10 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

I already posted an introduction elsewhere, but guess I should've done it over here. Oh well.

I was on glucophage (both versions) for at least 2 months. I never made it past 1 500 mg pill at dinner on either version because it made me really sick.
I was nauseated constantly (we have a staff luncheon the last day of school, which is required. Its considered the monthly staff meeting. Just being around the food the other staff was eating made me sick!), and cold to the point where I was wearing my winter jacket in my classroom! My room is noted for being one of the warmest because it wasn't always a classroom... it used to be an office, so the temp sensor for the ventilation unit is in the hall.

I was also tired all the time. I'm honestly not sure which was worse: the lethargy or the nausea. During the day, I didn't dare eating anything other than peanut butter crackers and gingerale. Even after having been off of it for a month, I find that I really don't want to eat, and I throw out a lot of food unless its something I want... and I can't eat chicken in any form without getting sick.

Magi
Old 07-28-2002, 09:23 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Wow Magi, sorry you had so many problems with it! Has your doctor tried you on anything else? I am not very familiar with the other drugs.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:51 PM   #6  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, Jeniffer...

The endo that I was(am?) seeing said the only other thing he could think of was Avandia... but he doesn't want to give that to me because of the side effects it has. Different ones from glucophage, but possibly more significant for me. They include requiring regular liver monitoring, and for some reason, I'm already showing elevated liver enzymes. It also causes weight gain, and fluid retention in the legs. As I've said, I already have that in my left leg due to the nerve damage in my ankle.
Finally, Avandia can cause the body to produce more insulin, and he says I already produce too much.

And the really nasty thing about the glucophage is that not only did I not lose weight while I was so sick and not eating, I gained weight... and it made my hormone levels *worse*, including the blood sugar. That went up drastically between the late March/early April numbers and the ones I had done in mid-June. That could have been because I was eating more simple carbs, though... I'm hoping.

The last thing the endo tried was testing me for Cushing's Syndrome, but I don't have that either. He's perplexed, because most of the people with PCOS respond to the birth control pills by having semi-regular cycles, and lowered testosterone levels... I'm doing neither. I'm also still showing hair where none belongs, and the hair on my head... well, I shed almost as much as my cat does! The regular endo wants to refer me somewhere else... he said something about Johns Hopkins, and that was before he found out I was moving to Baltimore (And in fact, will be working for an affiliate of the University..., so he must be somewhat concerned. I see the reproductive endo this week, and will see what she says. I hadn't told her that within the last 6 months, I was having mild discomfort on the right side... primarily that was because it was mild, and I'd forgotten because it came and went. But lately its been worse... and isn't *going*.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:29 AM   #7  
Slimwithin

The only side effect I've noticed from Metformin is that I'm more thirsty which isn't a bad thing because it prompts me to drink more water. Before Metformin I had to keep reminding myself to drink it but now I get thirsty so I always have water handy.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:08 AM   #8  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Default I was on both

Reg gluc was horrible. In every way.

I am on GlucXR and its WONDERFUL! I have been on it for 8 1/2 months. The ony thing at the beginning was the runs but thats it. The key is to take it at bed time just before laying your head on the pillow. The only runs I had was first thing in the morning. Since month 4,I have been symptom free. I am on 2000mg GlucXR

For all who dont know, XR means time released, a once-a-day dosing and you take all your pills at once.

So if Met is buggin you, make the switch, you wont be sorry.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:04 PM   #9  

Default sick of feeling sick

I've only been on the gluc xr for 3 days now, and I am already sick of feeling sick. I haven't had any bad diarrhea, but I just have an upset tummy all the time. It only gets better when it is time to take another one. I'm only on 500mg, to go up to 1000 in another week or so. I'm taking it at dinner time-maybe there is a better time to take it?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Susan
500 gluc xr
Old 08-15-2002, 10:38 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Susan, you could probably take it at bedtime and see how that works? My doctor's office told me I could take later or earlier, as long as I kept it consistent. Don't move up to 1000 if you don't feel ready for it. I waited 3 weeks! Better to ease in and be able to stick with it than have to quit it. Hopefully it will get better in a few days. It does on almost everyone! Don't give up!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:34 AM   #11  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Yeah, I take all 4 pills right before head hits the pillow. No side effects. But the one time I missed it and had to take during the day for a few days as I worked my way back up to the proper time, it was horrible. I did get pretty queezy. So, now, I REMEMBER to take it at night with a glass of milk!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:01 AM   #12  

Thanks guys-I did try it last night just before bed. I slept alot better, although I still feel a little icky this morning, it doesn't seem as bad.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:37 AM   #13  
Teacher Lady

Hi there,

I had to respond to this thread. I have been on Metformin for a year or so now and it has really brought things under control for me.

I've never felt the thirst, but also drink a couple of litres of water a day, so maybe I just haven't noticed it. I only had nausea for the first week or so that I took it. The diarrhea is constant and I've learned to live with it, taking Immodium when I know I need it under control. The Metformin has aided in my weight loss -- nearly 70 pounds over the past year. It's brought my cravings under control because the hormones/insulin levels are under control. I don't have these mad food cravings anymore. I used to be able to eat bars of chocolate and not be satisfied.

I'm also on Clomid -- 150 mg -- which is a triple dose. However, with that and the Metformin, I am now ovulating and have been for about six months. This is promising because I don't remember the last time I ovulated. Now, it's just a matter of hitting the timing right to become pregnant.

Good luck everyone.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:02 PM   #14  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

willsmom: glad it helped!!! Yeah!!!! LOL. I wonder if the time at night matters. I take mine at 10 to 11 pm depending on the time I go to bed. I wake at 7:30.
Closed Thread