PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Default anyone ever been on spironolact?

I was just put on this drug yesterday and was told that it was for water weight gain and facial hair. I am only taking 25mg a day now but may be upped later. Does this drug actaully help wtih the waer gain and facial hair? I know glucophage did nothing for me. It never even gave me my cycle back.

Thanks for any info you have
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #2  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but my dermatologist just put me on this 2 weeks ago for my acne - I was given a 50mg dose once a day. She said that is was originally used as a medication to treat high blood pressure and was a diuretic, but they have had great luck with it as a treatment for acne - which has recently decided to take up residence on my face...gosh I feel like I did when I was 13 with all this acne.

She did ask if I was trying to get pregnant because it can wreck havoc on your cycle. I haven't had any bad side affects from it. It does upset my tummy if I talk it on an empty stomach. I can't see a big difference yet, but they said it may take a few weeks to see results.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Good luck to you.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Thanks for your help. I was told the same things. Since I don't have a cycle I am not to concerned with that part. It is playing havoc with my stomach though. I know it is supposed to but I can't get used to it. I am glad to know it helps with acne too. I too feel like I never left high school sometimes.

Thanks again,
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I've been on 75 mg. per day for about 2.5 weeks now. It will certainly increase the amount of urine produced, but I don't mind because it's a nice little reminder to consume more water and other fluids! Also, I haven't been bloated since I started taking it, so that's great. As far as the facial hair is concerned, I actually DO notice that the growth cycle of the hairs is slowing down. I still pluck every day but unless it is my imagination, I am spending less time doing it. Overall, then, I am quite pleased with the spironolact! Two points though: One, I had been waking up at 2 or 3 a.m. to urinate, so follow the suggestions that likely accompanied your prescription and ensure that you take your pill no later than 6 p.m. or so. This may be more of a concern for me, because I take three 25 mg. doses throughout the day, so I can't take that last one too late if I don't want to be getting out of bed! Two, lay off eating a ton of bananas, broccoli, or other foods high in potassium; this drug increases the level of potassium in your blood so you don't want to throw your system out of whack.
Good luck!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I forgot -- to alleviate the stomach upset (which I haven't experienced), are you making sure to take the pill with food? Take it with a whole meal, as opposed to just a snack. I consume about half of my meal before I swallow the pill. I hope this helps!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I've been on this for YEARS. I take 100 mg per day. It is an anti-androgen so is supposed to help with excess hair and hair loss. Hasn't helped me with hair loss and I have the excess facial hair - but the excess body hair is gone - like REALLY gone. I am in menopause and I guess have been so since my late 20's due to POF so not sure if this is why.

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 08-25-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Oops - on 100 mg NOT 10 mg
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #7  
wannabe momma

S/C/G: 220/215/175

Height: 5'1"

I went to go see an OB about getting pregnant etc. I have PCOS and he prescribed me Spiro and Metformin. I shall be starting today, wish me luck.

Others have said your boobs get bigger, I am already an F, I don't want bigger boobs.... *sigh*
Silverbeam is offline   Reply With Quote