PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Got my lab work back.

My Drs office nurse called me and she said they are definitely thinking I have pcos because they just got my lab results. They said my testosterone is too high. I have to wait several weeks to go back because my Dr will be out of town.
But at least I am getting answers now. They are going to do a fasting glucose test again too.
Now, It'll be the middle of April when I go back so I'll probably be able to lose 5-8lbs by then I think. I wonder if that would improve my insulin at all.
I WANT to get on medication though, because I think the reason why I have such a hard time losing is because of all of this.

So, glad to get some answers..
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/seeticker/130

Height: 5'3"

answers are always nice to have. hopefully they figure it all out for you
momof2kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #3  

Me too! Thanks. I also can't wait until I get this dreaded period to stop. I had a break but now it's going back on again, it's like a 70+ day period now! Ugh!

Usually I say no to meds and pills but this is the one time in my life I just want relief from all of this.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #4  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I was on metformin to help me lose weight and to help the insulin levels. I have PCOS really bad. I have extermely painful periods that are heavy and no sense of consistency. I have facial hair growth too. Anyway, the metformin didn't help me with the weightloss. In fact, I gained on it. It might help you lose the weight, but if it doesn't at least you are getting treated for it.

My insulin levels when down from the pre-diabtic range to the normal (82). I was on a diet for three months and it fell that much. Anyway, they took me off the metformin since it wasn't helping for weight loss and because my insulin levels were normal.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #5  

Did the metformin have any side effects? That would be great if I can level out my blood sugars just by losing weight.

But I have to ask the question, do i have problems with my weight because of the pcos? Or do I have pcos because of my weight? It's really hard for me to lose.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Depending on what you read, PCOS causes IR or IR causes PCOS. I haven't seen anything definitive yet.

But having IR can lead to crazy weight issues.

I'm right there with ya!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #7  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

Yeah, I am not sure which can cause the other. I think I had PCOS before I was obese. My periods have always been terrible. I can remember being in high school and worrying about how many times a day I could go to the rest room without seeming weird. I can remember other girls not being in as much pain as me or having such a difficult time with periods.

I don't know the side effects. I just know for myself it really didn't help. A healthy diet and exercise has helped more. However, every body is different. It might work wonderfully with yours and help you lose some more weight. I just didn't want you to be disappointed if it didn't help with the weight loss.

And, if I remember correctly when I first started it my stomach got really upset for a few days.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 03-31-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #8  

As my mom can vouch for me, I've never had normal periods since I was 11.. and I was in the greatest shape of my life in my early teens, REALLY athletic and into sports.. and not one stinkin' normal period.
I was always at the nurses station because I'd bleed so heavy in huge gushes my pants would be soaked with blood!
For awhile I had to go to school wearing diaper type things, can you imagine? That's how heavy my periods were. In middle school I was so scared to stand up, because everytime I did I had a huge gush. My periods would last 6 months to a year.
Also, In all my pictures I had a jacket tied around my waist to conceal any stains from leaks. I have horrible childhood memories because of my stupid period!

Bottom line, I just think I've had issues forever.. and it sucks so bad. Would not wish this in anyone! And I wasn't fat at all then, so for me I think it couldn't of caused it.

Last edited by FunSize; 03-31-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

PCOS can resist in an atypical form without IR, too...I have full-out PCOS, before losing weight and after, and I'm not insulin resistant (which is why I don't take metformin...no insulin resistance).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote