PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default Metformin if you are NOT IR?

I have PCOS but am not Insulin Resistant. Is Metformin only given if you are IR?
Loona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Not necessarily. Some docs treat ALL patients with PCOS as IR, even if they don't test as such.

I'm in the same boat you are and trying to debate the question of whether to go on met, so I'm interested in other thoughts on this.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Here is what I know: After my (re-)diagnosis a few months ago, my wonderful new ob-gyn who actually knows what she's doing said I would do some blood tests to check for IR, but prescribed Metformin for me anyway to start as soon as we got the results back. She prescribed it for me regardless of the outcome of the IR in question, and said I should start taking Met either way, because even if I wasn't IR it would still help to improve ovarian function. (It's basically like, if you are IR the drug has a lot more benefits for you, but if you're not, it doesn't hurt and might/will probably help in other ways.) As it turns out I am IR because my fasting insulin level was over 10 (sorry I can't remember what the test was specifically or what units that's in). Not to question you but are you positive you're not insulin resistant? In most cases of PCOS, there's a bit of IR (which is why some doctors treat all PCOS as such, I guess). Just make sure your doctor has ordered the right bloodwork because sometimes IR is difficult to pinpoint without the right tests.

Last edited by snoozlebug; 08-13-2008 at 11:24 AM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

PCOS is basically a fubarred hormone system. Insulin is a hormone, so even if your insulin and glucose are working together in harmony (Everybody sing Ebony and Ivory now), that whole hormonal balance is going to be changed when you introduce Met. That could be a good thing or an unnecessary thing. (However, it does help adjust androgens, which are normally off with PCOS).

I took it when I felt like I had to. I was losing hair where I shouldn't, growing it where I shouldn't, gaining lots of weight, in pain from ovarian cysts, and acne was going wild. Not a pretty picture. Met made me sick and I didn't stick with it for too long, but it was long enough to knock off a few pounds and get me and my symptoms back on track.

Personally, I would only get back on Met if I felt I had no other choice. I'm afraid of the side effects, and balancing them out with what I need to correct, I'm choosing to not do it for a while longer. If I can't take care of things holistically, I'll give it another shot, maybe. If I wanted to conceive, or if I was dealing with multiple problems like before, I would definitely give it another try because I'd rather risk side effects than live like I did before.

I know you have tough decisions, and I hate it that you have to make them.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

I found a really good PCOS and Met fact sheet here:

http://www.evergreenfertility.com/pa.../Metformin.pdf
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozlebug View Post
Not to question you but are you positive you're not insulin resistant? In most cases of PCOS, there's a bit of IR (which is why some doctors treat all PCOS as such, I guess). Just make sure your doctor has ordered the right bloodwork because sometimes IR is difficult to pinpoint without the right tests.
Actually, I don't know for sure I guess. I made the assumption from him telling me that my glucose levels were fine. I just realized after reading your post that it was not very smart of me.

I asked him to fax me a copy of the blood work. It shows that he ordered:
  • Basic metabolic panel (this is where my glucose # was, 83)
  • Testosterone
  • FSH
  • Estradiol
  • LH
  • DHEAS
  • Androstenedione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
I found a really good PCOS and Met fact sheet here:
Thanks for your comments and the link.

I am so new at this and it is so confusing. I appreciate everyones help!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Some doctors only like to prescribe met if you are ttc. Otherwise they prefer to use just bcp. It may take some work on your part to get the treatment you want.

PCOS seems to be something that a lot of docs only seem to have a very basic understanding of & kind of underplay the consequences of it.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #8  

So after I got the fax from the doctors office I got a call from the doctor who wanted to discuss my results.

He tells me some of my numbers are indicative of PCOS but not enough to diagnose me as having PCOS (even though he previously told me I have it).

I had an vaginal ultrasound last year but but was taking BCP so no cysts were detected.

I am TTC btw...

this is so confusing and frustrating!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #9  
WW Moderator

I'm sorry, Loona.