PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Another newbie :)

Hey ladies, I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS last august. To be honest I am still a little confused as to what exactly that means, my doctors have never really explained anything to me. I am currently taking metformin to help with it. The hardest part is that I lost my job and along with it, my health insurance. I am on metformin, synthroid, birth control pills...not easy to get with no insurance So I have been trying to ration out my pills to make them last but thats not the best idea obviously. I am just at a loss what to do now. I feel a lot of the recent weight gain and the difficulty getting it off is due to the PCOS but it is hard when nobody I know really understands. Sometimes I feel like my boyfriend thinks I am making excuses. Nice to know I am not the only one Thanks
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

It is extremely difficult when you don't know what is going on. I can completely relate. I had to do a lot of "research" on my own. There is a really good website out there soulcysters.com. It provides a lot of much needed advice and answers a lot of questions. PCOS really does mess with your weight and makes it extremely hard to lose. I wish you all of the best.
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: *96/*58/*00

I also understand. I have been diagnosed, but nothing much has been explained. Thank goodness for the internet or we would be totally clueless. I wish you best of luck and hopefully you will get a job soon to help with the health insurance aspect!
TCJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Welcome!!!
The same thing happened to me 3 years ago when I was diagnosed. My doctor pretty much said "I can put you on Metformin and BC, and watch your carbs." Well I refused the medication, and didn't realize what limiting my carbs really meant, or why I had to do it.

The bottom line is we PCOSas can not behave like normal women who are losing weight. Normal women can do the following, and lose all their weight: 1) eat healthy carbs like whole grains, and cut out some sugar, and 2) work out a few times per week.

I've been doing that for the last 8 years. The last time I touched anything here at the office was two years ago to grab a whole wheat bagel at a meeting. People always tell me "Gawd, you are so healthy. I could never be that disciplined." If I was behaving this way, then why the heck was I still a size 16? My roommate eats everything under the sun, and she's a size 4. I knew something was different about my body.

And it's finally coming off. I limit carbs to the morning, avoid sugar completely, and allow myself to be a little hungry at night (like 9pm I should be thinking about eating, but don't). I eat nothing but veggies and protein for dinner. A carb after 3pm would show up on the scale the next morning. Alcohol, especially beer or sugary cocktails, are the devil.

I also have to work out twice as hard. 30 minutes a day won't cut it. It's gotta be (on a perfect day) about 90-120 minutes of cardio then strength training. The ST is the most valuable, though. If I'm pressed for time I ALWAYS ST. The ST will change my body permenantly, by upping my resting metabolism. I burn fat while I sleep

The best you can do is take the basic info from your doctor then research on your own. Read the books on PCOS, read web sites, talk to other women who are really going through the same thing! This site is great for that especially. The medical community is almost catching up with the girls who really have it. Right now we've got the knowledge
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote