PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #1  
Hopeful Mommy

S/C/G: 234/204/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Question about TOM

Beware: i might share too much info here so don't read if you're uncomfortable with such topics.

i was officially diagnosed with PCOS a year and a half ago (although i knew i had it for a few years before that). i haven't had a normal period in ages (i think it may have been somewhat regular back in high school). For the last few years i haven't had a period at all without the aid of meds.

Anyway, i just recently started weight watchers and have been very successful so far. i've lost 13 pounds in 4 weeks. That's roughly 6% of my starting weight. Well, a couple of days ago i started spotting. i'm wondering if my weight loss has kicked things in gear and my body is trying to have a period. Should i even count this as a period since it's only a few days of spotting?

Not really sure what to think at this point. However i'd be THRILLED if my weight loss was already having a positive effect on my PCOS symptoms.

christine
christinerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I also have PCOS. I used to have a period MAYBE once every 3 months. Since dropping 50+ lbs, I have one every 27-29 days, like clockwork.
Soooo..it's very possible!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

Christine, I would likely call it a period. I have the same thing happen to me.
When my gyn ran some tests a few years ago, he found out that I do not develop the lining to shed every month, and that is why I am irregular. When I do get spotting, I count it as a period figuring that month I developed very little liner. Not sure if this is really accurate to be calling a period...but it comforts me to think of it that way
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  
Hopeful Mommy

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Since i posted my spotting has become an true period. On one hand, it's awful with the cramping and other pms stuff. However, on the other hand, i'm thrilled that i actually got a period with no meds. i figured things would start working again once i lost weight. But i figured i'd have to lose 40-50 lbs before anything changed. This really caught me off guard.

Who knows? Maybe i'll actually be able to conceive one of these days. Stranger things have happened.

christine
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

As weird as this sounds...congratulations on getting your period! Lol, people were happy for me but weirded out at congratulating me when I had mine.

Don't be too disappointed if you don't have one next month. I had a period for the first time in a year and a half in August and then didn't have one in September. Our bodies need time to adjust to the changes and get used to having periods again, so it will be like when you were 13 or 14, where you may not have a period for a few months and then you'll have one again.

Just keep trucking on the weight loss and it'll all sort itself out in the end.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #6  
Hopeful Mommy

Red face Another Question

Ok, the good news (well, to me it's spectacular super amazing news) is that not only did i get my period w/o meds, but it's stopping w/o meds as well. (It's a miracle!)

So here's my next question: is it typical to completely stall on weight loss on your period? i started last week at 198. i jumped to 202 a few days later and am just now getting back to 198. Would it be safe to say that it was bloating and water retention? That seemed like a big jump and it's rather frustrating to have stalled on my weight loss.

Thanks again.

christine
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

I would totally say that was water retention. Our bodies can fluctuate between 3 - 5 lbs. during the day that is water weight. And gaining that few pounds during menstruation is normal. I gain it (and lose it right after) when I have my period...
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/204/132

Height: 6'5

That type of fluctuation is normal. I read somewhere one can fluctuate by as much as 7 pounds over a short period of time.
Rainlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #9  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

I have been known to gain up to 12lbs around ovulation and my period.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote