PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #1  

Default Should I be tested?

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:21 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/219/140

Height: 5'7''

Don't quote me but I have seen a couple of the other people with pcos take medicine that may help with the weight loss....google it
Hope20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #3  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Untreated/Unknown PCOS plays with more than just your fertility. You are looking at a possiblity of heart disease and diabetes. The female parts are not the only parts that are impacted by this disease.

Since you are having issues losing weight and your dr says that your thyroid is fine... I would be concerned about a high insulin level, high androgen level, or high blood glucose.

Yes, lab work is pricey, but not knowing would be harder for me to deal with.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I second what Irish said... if you do have PCOS, you are at an increased risk for bigger problems down the road, and knowing will help you prevent these from happening. Also, if you do have PCOS then the doctor may be able to give you Metformin, or some other med that could help you with weight loss.

I'm really surprised that an endo just said to drop to 1000 calories without any other explanation. Usually you get your best PCOS advice from endos. If you are insulin resistant, then the meds can help, plus exercise is VITAL to weight loss for people with IR. Much more than non IR individuals. Please let us know what you find out. Good luck!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #5  

X

Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #6  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Yea...
The more you reveal about your interaction with him, The more I want to plead with you to find a different doctor. If he honestly thinks that you have PCOS and won't help you with meds... that is a big red flag.

To me, it would be worth the wait to see the other doctor. You could always call and see if they have an cancellations before your appt.

Metformin wouldn't be the only option for you since you are not trying to conceieve so don't give up based on that only. There are other meds out there to treat IR if necessary and to treat the other symptoms of PCOS. Most of them are only available to those that are not TTCing.

One thing that you may want to try and see if it works for you during your wait to see the other doctor is to track your carbs, limit them in the fashion of south beach or sugar busters, and up your exercise. I am surprised that an endo would recommend dropping your calories so far without talking about going low carb first.

Good Luck
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I also find the response of your doctor odd. I've never heard of a doctor so flippantly recommending someone eat 1000 calories or less per day.

When I was diagnosed I was put on metformin, which my doctor said would help me lose some weight. In the end it made me horribly sick (nausea and such) for the entire time I was on it, and I stopped taking it. I stuck out the weight loss thing on my own, and found that after I'd lost about 20 lbs then the majority of my symptoms decreased dramatically or went away entirely.

Also, my glucose levels were within normal ranges when I was diagnosed, but my insulin levels were high - having normal glucose doesn't mean that you aren't headed for things like diabetes. IR can be helped with diet before it turns into diabetes, even if it doesn't result in spectacular weight loss.

With the increased risk for other ailments due to PCOS I would recommend being tested, however it may prove pointless if you stay with that doctor, given that it doesn't seem he plans on taking any action if he does decide you have it. So in short, I'd recommend getting another doctor first, and THEN taking the tests.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #8  

X

Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Latest research shows that it isn't as unhealthy as everyone once believed to lower calories to 1000, and sometimes even less. It isn't mentioned much because it makes so many people cringe. But that's another thread! However, at your weight I wouldn't think that is a viable option, because what happens when you lose 40-50 pounds? You can't keep dropping calories - not to mention that there may be many more satisfying ways to lose weight - i.e. More Food! Adding muscle mass will help you utilize your calories, and other tricks like smaller meals more often can help make a difference. Small differences add up! You don't have to lower your carbs drastically. Fiber is very important for the reasons you mentioned, plus for good colon health, heart health, and satiety. Low starch vegetables are very low calorie and very very good for your entire body and whole health. Jonny Bowden, a huge low carb advocate, has written a few books on low carb eating, and any of them might be good reading for you.

If it were me, I'd run as fast as I can to another doctor! I can't believe he refuses meds before he even has the bloodwork back. Many gynocologists are just as well trained with PCOS as endos are these days. A few years back everybody referred to the endos, but it isn't always necessary anymore, especially if infertility isn't an issue. If you do have PCOS, your doctor should be concerned about helping you lose weight to lessen your risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. Oh boy, I could go on all day here, but you got the picture!

Best of luck to you!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #10  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 265/234/150

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I would also plead with you to see a different doc. PCOS can act like thyroid disease in some people - I'm one of them. They tested my thyroid three or four times and they all came back normal. It took an OB/GYN to spot the PCOS when I was 28 years old. Looking back, I'm really surprised no other docs saw it - I am thicker around the middle, have some hirsutism (though I try like **** to hide it), thin hair, acne, all the classic stuff.

If you get a good doctor, and you get diagnosed, then I would congratulate you. Not because you have a health problem, but on conquering the hard part: figuring out WHAT is wrong. There are soooooooo many women dealing with PCOS in this world and a ton of books and resources geared to help us eat better and lose weight.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Amberlyn; 10-07-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Amberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #11  
Looking for the real me

S/C/G: 201/193/140

Height: 5'9

I'm glad you are going to be finding a new doc.

I was dx with PCOS 7/05 and at the time was told the only treatment was BCP but I can't handle being on them (mess me to horribley mentally) so they said sorry. I am seeing a new doc now who has put me on Met and Crestor for the high cholesterol. The HC is because of the PCOS. I have never had HC before, but all of a sudden it sky rocketed.

Find a new doc and get on some meds!
Beegers is offline   Reply With Quote