PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Default PCOS and High Blood Pressure

Hi,

Anyone here have very high blood pressure? My bp was always 'high normal' 140/80 but was recently discovered to be very high 200/120. I suspect it's the progesterone that I'm taking (Provera) and have stopped until I can see my gynae. But I've read that this may be due to the condition itself. Really concerned as my diet's excellent/ I don't add salt and I exercise every day so I'm unsure how I control this myself - I guess it'll be meds. I feel a bit of a failure actually as I do feel I've worked so hard to turn my health around but clearly it hasn't worked. Anyone else have the same problem and have any advice about controlling bp with this syndrome?

Thanks very much,

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #2  

I have borderline high BP (it was around 130/90 before treatment, and even higher when I was on birth control - 140/95, or something like it - I had to come off the pill as a result). I was actually diagnosed with that first, and then PCOS. My mother and grandmother have high BP, so maybe it's unrelated, but I also suspect that they both have undiagnosed PCOS too! I think it probably is more likely with PCOS because it can affect all aspects of cardiovascular health. I don't think you should blame yourself. High BP can be at least partially genetic, and PCOS stacks the cards against you in many respects. I didn't think I ate a lot of salt either, but my doc was highly critical of my tofu/soy sauce consumption, and my occasional Marmite fix (I'm British by birth!). It's strange how much salt you consume without even thinking about it.

Right now, I take 120mg of Inderal daily for my BP, which is now normally around 115/80. My doc is much happier and the Inderal has also all but cleared up my migraines. However, I recently read that beta-blockers can make insulin resistance worse, so I think I'm going to go back to the doc and see if she can recommend something else for my BP. It will be difficult to give Inderal up and go back to having migraines!

I know that was a long answer, but I hope it helped

Last edited by rubypearl; 02-24-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
rubypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #3  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

right now I have high bp and take spiro for it.
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #4  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

I have had bouts of high blood pressure in the past. I was taking a water pill for hbp for a while but have stopped. Last time at the dr, she was concerned but decided that it might have been due to taking a decongestant and told me in no way shape or form, should i be taking cold medicine or allergy medicine with a decogestant.

Good luck and I hope that you can get it under control.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #5  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

There is Coridicin ( sp?) for Colds with HPB.

After taking Sprio and Met for one month, my bp is back to normal!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote