Old 09-29-2005, 07:14 AM   #1  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Question Workout video question

Anyone got any tips on good (and cheap) low impact (I have bad knees and ankles) workout videos for beginners? And also good beginners yoga videos (the one I'm using is not really very good, it's mostly talking and there's too much time spent in between moves. She talks for about 2 min after you finish one move before she takes you into the next one). Thanks guys.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Try Walking Away The Pounds. Very low impact, and you can start with the one mile tape and move up as you progress. I have bad knees, and that was my 'break-in' video. I had no problems at all.

You might also want to check out the fitness video forum here at 3FC, there may be some more good ideas there.

Good luck!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #3  

I ditto the Walk Away the Pounds videos. If you are already somewhat fit, skip the 1-mile as it's very easy. I would also skip the 2-mile and go right to the 3-mile routine. You can do it at your own pace and eventually add 1- or 2-pound weights to make it more difficult.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

I would also suggest WATP. Although honestly - the woman is kind of annoying. I listened to the tape once to get down the moves and see if she had anything important to say - then started muting the TV and listening to music. If you're wanting something short the morning walking routine is good, though it is just a mile, but it's only about 15 minutes long and if that's all you can fit it, it's good. I honeslty have had the tapes for about 3 or 4 years now and never tried the 3 mile *L* I never had that much time to devote to it.

I wonder if a balance ball might work for you, because you can do yoga type moves but with the assist of the ball, might be a little easier on your body. I love mine, and got a balance ball for beginner's DVD.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #5  

I have arthritis in my feet and ankles, and when I'm not walking outdoors, I use the WATP dvds. There is a large variety of them to choose from. The 15-minute mile is a good place to begin and then move up from there. The 3 and 4 milers are quite aerobic.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #6  
Gypsy Goddess

S/C/G: 209\144\113

Height: 5'7

Default Woman power workout

there is a good spiritual based workout tape called woman power workout, you can get it at fatchancebellydance.. www.fcbd.com

I think it would be ok for your knees, I know it could defintly be modified, I have used alot of the moves in my dance classes and I have had many students with many different knee and ankle and all sorts of injurys and problems.

Just about anything you get can be modified in some way to fit. But I really like that tape, so I thought I would recommend it!
Nirvanagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #7  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Byugrad, are you by any chance using the Yoga for Dummies video? It would be such a great work-out if only you could just keep moving and not have to stop and listen to her go on and on! I understand it's needed for beginners but maybe they should have added an additional chapter that was just the work-out in a continous flow.

You could also try the Bellytwins bellydance DVDs. They are mostly low-impact. Arms, Abs, Hips, Buns and Thighs is really good and gets you moving. Basci Moves is also great but Slim Down and Fat Burning have you bouncing around alot more than the others. http://www.bellytwins.com/sh_dvd.htm
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  
redhead veggie

Callanetics might be good for you as well.
superchar42 is offline   Reply With Quote