Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #1  

Default How do I start?

I think that OA is something that would help me tremendously, but I am not sure how to get started. I have checked the OA website and we do not have meetings locally Is it possible to do it completely online? What do I need to know and how do I get started? I appreciate any information that you can share! Thanks!
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! It is possible to do it online, but if there's anyway that you can make it to a meeting at least once a week, that would really benefit you.

There are online meetings every 3 hours around the clock at:
http://www.therecoverygroup.org/meetings/index.html

Ordering the book: Overeater Anonymous the 12 step and 12 traditions would be a great step in understanding how the steps and program work. You can order it from the OA website, or from amazon.com.

Once you have read the first chapter, you will have some idea of how you want to progress. We're here for you! Please continue to ask any questions that you think of.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #3  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

The online meetings are a great place to start! The Recovery group also has "newcomers meetings" (listed on their meeting schedule page) where they answer any questions you may have about the organization and the program.

The book Marny mentioned is an amazing one! You may want to check your local library if you can't afford to order it (although I don't think it's that much!) I've been reading it as I go along, and it's a wonderful tool!

And most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions!! Marny (and the others here) have been a wonderful help on my journey to recovery!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #4  

Thank you for your replies! I have been doing lots of research (too much probably) and right now I am on info overload but I think this is something that I need to do.

I joined to OANewcomers list so that I can get oriented with the program and I sat in on a meeting. I plan on attending the Newcomers meeting tonight and I ordered the book also. I am excited! I think that OA addresses the areas that I need to address... for me it is about so much more than knowing what to eat. I REALLY wish we had local meetings, but the online program looks pretty good too

I appreciate your support already and if you don't mind, I would like to hang out here with you guys! Will that be okay?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Welcome to the OA group

My biggest advice to you is to take it one day at a time. It's easy at first to get over anxious, but try to absorb as much of the information as you can!

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions! (If you read through the main page of this forum... I have lots of random posts, just from the last week!! )
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Of course you are welcome here! Glad to have you.

Good for you for ordering a book and getting to a meeting. Jac is right--take it one day at a time. I only think about what I'm doing today. If I get caught up in thinking about "forever" I feel defeated before I even begin.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #7  

That is wonderful advice! I appreciate you ladies!