Old 05-15-2005, 10:54 PM   #1  
Steph

Talking May=Tradition 5

Tradition 5
Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry the message to the compulsive overeater who still sufers

So, I am not a group. How does this Tradition apply to me?

Do you focus your discussion on the 12 Steps, the 12 Traditions, the Tools and recovery from compulsive overeating?
Do you welcome necomers to the group and give them individual attention?
Do you impose on any OA memebers for a speical favor or consideration simply because you are a fellow overeater?
What do you do to welcom back members who are returning to OA?
Are you willing to 12th step the next newcomer without regard to who or what is in it for me?
Do you make it a point to talk to newcomers?
Can others find sponsors in the group?
Do you help the group in every eay you can to fulfill our primary purpose?

So, share you thoughts and experience with this Tradition.

I've heard it said that "The steps help me from committing suicide, the traditions help me from committing homicide".
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #2  
Steph

Ok, I have to admitt, I dislike the Traditions. But, I see understand the purpose of them.
Tradition 5 - huh? Let me think about this? No, I really don't extend a helping hand to the newcomer. I am still trying to become comfortable enough in my own skin, talking to new people at my mettings is still very scary to me. I do try to focus my talk on recovery, the 12 steps, the 12 traditions and the tools of recovery though. I see the importance of that consistency. I think the most I've imposed on a fellow member was when I needed to get my car jumped because my battery died while I was at the meeting. At my f2f meetings there are a lot of sponsors though they are not always availble to take on new sponsee's, which can be discouraging to new comers. I do welcome back old-timers into program, I want to know what happened, why they took the bit back so that I can be aware of the same signs and signals that might effect me AND to let them know that they are loved.
I know that I can probably beef up on this tradition by becoming more willing to talk to newcomers. With time I know that God will guide me to do so.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Hmmm... I'm not a group, either, but I am a moderator, so I'll relate Tradition 5 to my experiences here.

I think (I HOPE!) that I'm supportive and welcoming to others here. But I know that I sometimes feel resentful because I'm not always getting enough support back. That was a big admission for me, and I feel guilty for even thinking it.
When I'm cheering other people on, I know that it's doing nothing for me. That I'm still here, still fat, still binging. I DO want others to do well, and I'm so happy when they succeed.
I just feel like a real loser at times. I KNOW all the answers, and I'm offering what I believe is good advice. So why can't I apply that to my own life? And why do I need other people to cheer me on?
I think that I'm just so drained from a life of nurturing others (in particular, my mother), that I'm sometimes deplete of energy when it comes to helping others now. I wish that weren't so, and I do try to overcome it, and to pace myself.

Oh my god, Steph! What a can of worms you opened up for me!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #4  
Steph

There's nothing wrong with worms. We need a can of those opened every once in a while. They help me out espically when I feel stuck.
But do you feel a little more free? Getting all of that off of your chest. Sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do if we want to progress in this program. Possibly some journal writing to expand on what you've shared is in order?
That you for the honesty!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Steph, I do feel better. Thanks, hon. You're right... sometimes we need to acknowledge what's bothering us before we can let it go and move on.
BTW, in case there's any doubt, I find people on the ED and OA program VERY nurturing.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote