Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Unhappy I binge til I get stomach pain!

I have been dieting for the past 13mo. without cheating at all. I eat only whole natural foods, I am a pescatarian( vegetarian who eats a little fish and dairy) I lost 65 lbs in 10 mo. doing this and I really enjoy the foods. But I have a weakness for all natural peanut butter. Which i have no problem eating little bits of, since I do eat nuts. But, about once a week I crave it so much and I eat so much of it( I mean almost a whole jar) that I feel sick. It doesn't stop me though, it tastes sooo good that i can't stop and I always gain 2 or 3 lbs. from it. I tried talking myself out of it or not buying it, but I give in every time. I'll make a special trip just to buy it! I tell myself that I will have one or two bites, but once I start I can't stop. What can I do? Any help?
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I would suggest just completely getting rid of it until you have the control to not overeat when you have some.. Trigger foods or no good for us.. and just staying away from them completely helps me. Stay strong, you've already come so far!!!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #3  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote from you: I tried talking myself out of it or not buying it, but I give in every time. I'll make a special trip just to buy it! I tell myself that I will have one or two bites, but once I start I can't stop. What can I do? Any help?

Ah, that is the addict in us...you are starting with the battle...asking for help and advise...go girl.

For me...I would cut it out all together...NO PEANUT BUTTER. Period. End of Sentence.

Ask yourself this:
-Is PB worth the fight with yourself (2 eat only 2 T)?
-Is PB worth the lack of peace peanut butter brings 2 your life?

-Peace or Peanut Butter.
-Belly feels good or Belly ache with Peanut Butter.
-Weight maintains or Peanut Butter with 3 lbs

What is a healthy food choice that you really enjoy and you can maintain limits without binging? Can you have that instead of PB when you get a craving? A thought to ponder.

Good Luck! Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #4  

I would say the only choice you have is to not buy it. Wait a few months and then try again. Why set yourself up for failure. If that is the only food you are having trouble controlling, you are a lucky girl. Just eliminate buying peanut butter...problem solved.

Last edited by harrismm; 11-15-2009 at 04:07 PM.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I agree. Don't buy it. I have been looking at some of the maintainers threads.... and that seems to be what some of them have to do. Make it a "rule" that you don't eat "X", which for you is PB.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Peanut butter is my downfall as well. For a few months I just didn't buy it and I was ok with that. Then I tried to incorporate a little bit back into my life because I found the Smart Balance brand to be not as sweet and therefore not as enticing. And for awhile, I'd say for about a month, I was able to control it. I could eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwhices, add pb to my oatmeal, ect and be ok. But then one I jumped back on the binge wagon and I finished off the whole jar by eating pb and honey sandwhiches :-/ So ever since that I haven't bought it and maybe in another couple months I'll try to incorporate it back into my life but for now it stays OUT of my apt. Good luck with it!

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I hear ya...peanut butter is soooo addicting! What if you had something like almond butter or cashew butter instead? Truth be told, peanuts aren't healthy for us (aside for the protein source) and other nut butters are much more bang for your calorie buck, health-wise. Maybe if you had a different butter that doesn't seem as appealing, you could control yourself? Otherwise, I suggest not having any in the house at all. ever. It's hard to give up, but if you avoid it for a good month, it might lose some of its appeal. Or, it might just be a lifetime issue and you should avoid it the way an alcoholic avoids alcohol. Hope you figure it out. It's good to know a trigger food because then, you can take it seriously and learn to deal with the problem.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #8  

This reminds me of what the AA Big Book talks about when the guy goes into the bar and is not going to drink. thinks one won't hurt then two and you know the rest of the story.
Stay away from the old places and temptations is the moral of the story
stay out of the peanut butter asle.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote