Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/270/170

Height: 5'9"

Default I Don't Know How to Stop Myself From Overeating...

OMG...I don't know what has happened to me in the past year. I had my weight really down and now it seems I've gained about 100 pounds in the last year. It's all due to over eating, I know that for sure. I eat when I am stressed, I eat when I am bored, I eat just before I start....etc. I keep telling myself today you will eat sensibly no extras. I could go to work with a nice breakfast and lunch which is low in fat. Next thing I know I have those ate and I can't help but order out to fast food to be delivered on top of this. I am at my biggest right now. I am having health problems to do with my eating and weight gain. I wasn't always this way, I was actually anorexic as a teen...go figure. I feel like it either one way or the other...either don't eat at all or eat too much. Please will someone help me with this....
ronnie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/209/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Have you gone online to see where the closest Overeaters Anonymous meeting is? It can save your life if you let it. Just do it!

Last edited by DietCokeJunkie; 07-30-2008 at 12:11 PM.
DietCokeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi Ronnie,

I feel your pain and wish I could help. I am a food addict and also have been anorexic briefly as a teen. All I think about all day is food. I don't even notice it anymore, but I'm always planning or postpointing or trying to avoid food. When my head isn't on straight, I can't have one good day. But, really, that's all it takes for me. If I can do it and have one good day, then that day turns into two and then three and so on. Don't think of all the weight you have to lose because that can feel overwhelming. Just think of a few things: 1. I will write down whatever I eat BEFORE it enters my mouth (keep a food journal). 2. I will excercise every day 3. I will plan my meals. 4. I will lift weights 3 times a week. (that means you can do pushups, crunches, squats, dumbells, etc. you don't have to go to the gym.

Start with one day. Think of it at 5 lbs. at a time. Then, start to think of how much you will allow yourself every day and stick to it. I figured out my Resting Metaboic Rate (you can do it using a google search). That told me how many calories my body burns if I stay in bed all day. Then, aim to eat a bit less than that or about that many calories. That way, whatever excercise you do will lead to fat burning. Finally, have easy ways to avoid eating. I chew 5 gum which lasts forever. I also make frozen grapes in ziplock baggies....I measure out 1 cup and that's only 65 calories. I also like Boca Burgers (Flame Grilled)...100 calories and very filling with low carb tortillas from La Tortilla Factory 100 calories. I stuff that with veggies and am full for about 3 hours for almost no calories! I also always have baby carrots in the house and some protein bars too.

You don't have to do it my way, but I just wanted to let you know how I did it. YOU CAN DO IT!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well, I think I can tell where your plan is going wrong. You keep telling yourself 'I'll do this, I'll do that' and not takng any action. do something right now! this moment! write out a meal plan, cook your meals and freeze them so you dont go stray. But plan... plan for when you feel you need to binge, plan to keep yourself distracted, plan for the times when you might give in.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Go to an OA meeting. Read the literature. Work the steps. Do what has worked for others there.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Leave your money at home! I refuse to take my credit card or money to work with me bacaue I will order out instead of eating what I packed for lunch. Make your kitchen off limits after dinner is over, even block it of physcially so you can't go there. Ground yourself to your room. After dinner I go to the den in the back of the house and am not allowed in the front of the house till breakfast because sometimes I cannot control my urge to late night binge. pre package all your meals so when your done, you are done. These are just a few tricks I use to aviod being able to binge.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #7  

Welcome, Ronnie.

How are things going? Have you found and OA meeting at this point? No face to face meetings? Go to oa.org and there you will find a list of on-line and telephone meetings, use those they are great too.

Do you have the OA 12and12 and the AA Big book? Read them. Find yourself a sponsor, I found I couldn't work this program without one.

Does this sound like a lot, not really what length will you go to obtain your food? What length will you go to for recovery?

Just some of my thoughts on this day I've been given to serve others.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #8  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I find that working out makes me not want to eat poorly, I don't want to ruin the hard work I put forth at the gym.

I sympathise with your situation.

***Sorry I seen this on the main page and just realised that this isn't a part of the forum I have never commented in before, do I have to consider myself an over eater to comment? I'm pretty new around here.

Last edited by bananapancakes; 08-09-2008 at 11:18 AM.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  

Intuitive Eating worked for me. I ate all day long...just as soon as that yucky to full feeling left me...I would shovel some more in. I came across a book called The Weigh Down Diet..it is a biblical based book..but mainly..something clicked when I read it..that food is not going anywhere..and to just eat when your stomach is truely hungry..and stop when you feel heaviness. There is a book also called Intuitive Eating. For me..this way of eating was the key. It gave me freedom. The reason why nothing never worked for me is I felt smothered when I felt restricted..this lifted the restriction. I honestly eat whatever I want...just NEVER get over-full...this is a major key...because I don't eat again unless I am hungry.

Although I am at a major standstill...I have NOT gained any weight back..that is awesome for me..as I have lost many times, only to gain it back when the DIET was over??

I wish you lots of LOVE and luck...it is so hard...but if I can do..YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Keep us updated!
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #10  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

I feel for you. Truly. And the advice I can give you is this: You just have to start and do it. If you fear failure in the latter part of your first day, (a trap I used to get caught in, all the time) just tell yourself that you are going to get past the danger point. Just this one time. And let yourself feel triumphant for getting there. Celebrate with a treat. A non food treat. A bubble bath or a few moments alone, contemplating the sunset. Something that brings you pleasure.

Don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect and tell yourself that you have to stay on track for days, weeks, months at a time. That is a great way to overwhelm yourself and hamper your efforts.

Just go day by day. Meal by meal, if you have to. And, if you have a meal or a day of unguarded eating, don't punish yourself for it. As long as you are consistently on track, it isn't going to hurt you or ruin your efforts. Just pick yourself up, brush yourself off and get back on track the very next meal or day.

I hope this helps, a little. And good luck, to you.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #11  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Oops! I wasn't paying attention... This is a forum for OA members. Which I am not.

Sorry for encroaching.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #12  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I can completely relate to you. I could have said the exact same thing and I have in the past.

I agree. you have to believe in yourself and your ability to overcome this
take it one day at a time, one meal at a time - congratulate yourself for every healthy choice.
make a meal plan
journal your food - no matter how embarassing or frustrating
drink water

I did this for years. binge eating and overeating.. restrict then binge then restrict then binge. I had almost given up. My last effort was joining weight watchers and goign to the meetings and it changed my life.
I would suggest checking it out. I found the meetings very helpful. And I can honestly say, my binge eating has gone down to almost never. I think journalling your food has a lot to do with it. It makes you more accountable.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself. It is frustrating when you realize you've gained weight, but beating yourself up over it accomplishes nothing. Nurture yourself with something other than food. there must be something that you get out of eating. for me, i was creating a protective layer around myself to give me an excuse not to deal with things.. what do you get out of this behaviour? Once you figure that out, it's easier to tackle that issue!

Have you read the Beck Diet Solution?? If not, go and get it and read it. It's a great book. Works with any diet because it is not a diet book. it changes the way you think with cognitive behaviour therapy. Our thoughts can make or break us.

have a good day.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #13  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Default In the same boat

Would love to hear how you are doing since your post. I too have been struggling. I was reading a post from one of the memebers and she talked about the Food Addicts diet. I have gone to their page as well and just started today to follow the food plan. Now I made it till about 5pm. I know that is my difficult time so tomorrow I will try and bring something with me to help me through that time. Something to read or listen to. I work till 9pm so it is a challenge at work.
The food addicts all use OA as their foundation they have just chosen a food plan with no sugar in it whatsoever to relieve the food cravings.
Here is the link...www.kaysheppard.com I would like to say it is working for me but today was the first day.
Every post before mine said something to me as well. So thanks to everyone for the input.
Drop me a line and I hope things are turning around....Jude
hijude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #14  

Wink

Thanks for the Kay Sheppard website. I will have to check it out. Anyway, if you don't know how to stop yourself from overeating be sure to read the book called "Food addiction-The body knows by Kay Sheppard. It will answer all of your burning questions. It saved my life-that's for sure!!!! I lost 125 pounds and have kept it off for 1 year and 7 months. I'm 55 years old now and have never felt so good in my life!!!!

Last edited by blackcat99; 10-20-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
blackcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #15  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Wow blackcat thanks for sharing that. I am working the FAA plan and it seems to be helping. What a great weight loss you have had and thanks for sharing your age. Sometimes I think I am just too old for this to work. But I don't think that now.
hijude is offline   Reply With Quote