Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #1  

Unhappy chemo day and wanting to eat.

Today and tomorrow are chemo days for my dh. All I want to do is cry and eat!!

Crying I think would help but eating isn't an option for me today other than my food plan. It will not take the cancer away, it will probably make me feel better for five minutes and then I'll feel just awful so do I just want to feel sad cause my dh has to go through this and there's nothing I can do.

Guess for this day I will feel sad and try to do something joyful to counteract it.

thanks for listening
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Patd sorry for your dh & what he is going through. My dad did chemo & radiation so I understand how you feel. Eating off plan will not change things for your dh but will in the long run make you feel worse. Good luck!
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #3  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

So sorry for what you're going through. Remember that you have tools to help you through this--and food isn't one of them!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #4  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Oh hunny, I'm so sorry... but you don't need any more negative feelings, so why set yourself up for guilt, on top of what you are feeling? My prayers and best wishes to you both.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #5  

Thank you so much for your love and support.

I went Christmas shopping and had a great time. My dh doesn't get sick from the chemo so far so I feel ok in leaving him alone. He sleeps a lot anyway.

I now have one Christmas present left to get for our 18 year old grandson and don't have a clue.

Hope everyone is doing well today and so far so good with the food, sometimes one just has to remove their bodies from the temptation when it's possible. I was thankful I was able to do that.

I feel much better as I also got exercise walking all over.

Bless you all
patd
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #6  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

You are not alone...my DH is on Chemo 5 days out of every month. And I know the fear, the sadness, the helplessness. I was doing really well with my eating and exercise...Thanksgiving wasn't even bad...but then...I have been an eating machine until yesterday afternoon...I have regained my footing but I don't know what the damage is because I am not going to weigh for awhile...it will be counter productive and just feed into the negative emotions...when I have been in control for awhile I will check where I am but until then...I am going to look in the mirror and see the progress that I have made and not the stumbling of the last few days. I am a Warrior. You are too. Tell your Hubby I said keep fighting.
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #7  

(((((((Ravengirl))))))) I'm so sorry you are going through this with your husband, if I may ask what kind of cancer does he have? Mine has bladder.
He is doing well with the chemo and doesn't get sick so it's not hard on me that way it's just the unknown results of everything for him and what it could be doing to the rest of his body.

Yes, we are all warriors and we will hang together and know that a food plan and calling it into our sponsors is a good thing to do and use the tools and go to meetings when we can. We can all make it those with cancer and us that have the diesease of complusive overeating. We must all use the medicine that is given to us.

and prayers for you and your hubby
patd
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #8  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Thank you for the kind words... My Hubby was diagnosed with a brain tumor after having a klonic tonic seizure at work on May 8. He has had surgery and the tumor was completely removed...he had 6 weeks of radiation therapy and is now on Chemo pills 5 days out of every month. He has done well with treatment so far, other than sleep problems which they are working on helping him with. He hasn't had severe nausea or appetite problems but this is only his 3rd cycle and he is being delayed this month for low platelets. He is only 38 and our bathroom looks like 100 yr olds. I have had periodic eating problems for as long as I can remember... I am not in OA but I am appreciative of their work. I have discovered yoga...meditation...and I am doing alot of reading to help get myself under control. After this all went down, I was prescribed a low dose antidepressant that is helping immensely. It was not something I ever thought would be me but you have to do what you have to do.

Mitakawe Oyasin... (basically it means we are all related...)

Hugs to you as well...
Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #9  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Patd & Ravengirl I have lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way. I feel your pain, my dad was diagnosed with lunch cancer last year and had to chemo and then in august he was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to do radiation. It's a sad thing to see them go through it but tell both of your husbands fight & fight hard don't give up.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #10  

((((Hugs))))) Can you ask your HP to be with you today...repeatedly....I tend to ask and then forget him along the way lol...Praying for you and your family!
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/118/117

Height: 5'3"

PatD, I am so sorry you and anyone else are having to cope with someone you love having cancer. I have experienced this fight from the other side: I had cancer and did chemo for 2 years along with surgery and radiation. Now I'm in remission, although there is an area we're watching - that nasty bug is trying to rear its ugly head again. My husband has been an absolute pillar of strength, but sometimes his sad feelings come to the surface. I hate seeing him this way, but we talk about it and deal. There is just no easy way to cope with cancer. It stinks.

Don't feel like you have to be strong all the time. It's OK for you to share your feelings of anger, sadness and helplessness. Share those feelings here, and there are lots of support groups out there, too. Have you checked with your husband's hospital? The American Cancer Society has a ton of information to share.

I hope you will post often. You are not alone!

Connie
gonzo walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #12  

Thank you all for your support.

Last night was a tough one for me. My husband is losing his hair now and he uses the vacuum cleaner to vacuum his head so it doesn't get all over. He was using it and I have some choc hid, yes, I said hid and it was calling to me and I prayed hard and God helped me stay away from it. Today I'm going to set it out for my husband to eat.

He has his humor. Yesterday I made the statement of feeling so helpless and he said "You, are my rock! Now of course, sometimes you hit me over the head with the rock!" We had a big laugh and that helped.

I do have a bladder support group that I go to on the web which helps. There are lots there that have gone through what we are going through now so that's a big help.

My the Grace of God I'm still abstintnet today.

patd
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #13  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Dealing with the hair loss is weird...when mine went into Radiation he began to lose his after like the 4th week I believe, his hair was already really short anyway though...it is different when it is falling out though...I know...his would be left on the pillow after sleeping. I am happy to say that his is coming back, though he may still have to shave his head if it doesn't come back at the incision site (brain surgery...)
The Chemo doesn't seem to bother him too badly...or maybe he is just a pillar... The main trouble is his sleeping, the steroid they give him with the Chemo wires him up...bad...he has to take sleeping pills to get any sleep whatsoever.
Just something I feel compelled to share with you...after surgery we saw a nutritionist who recommended a low sugar/low carb diet for him. She said that sugar/carbs can be taken directly out of the blood stream to feed cancer cells. He has taken that to heart and we monitor his eating closely... Take it or leave it as you will...
My best to you all...
Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 172/118/117

Height: 5'3"

Hi, Ravengirl. There seems to be a lot of discussion about the link between diet and cancer, but a concensus that sugars (which is what carbs convert to) feed cancer. Similar advise from my oncologist is what started my weight loss last December 24, except for me it was dietary fat. If you need motivation to stick to a healthy diet, this can be it!

Has your husband had problems with his scalp being tender? My scalp was so sore that I was never even tempted to wear a wig. I only wore a hat when it was cold outside, and to bed. When his hair comes back, it may be completely different from before it fell out, but will probably return to it's original state eventually.

Cancer is such a learning experience! Hang in there.

Connie
gonzo walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #15  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Hey Connie!

I asked DH if he had scalp tenderness but he said that his is mainly on the incision line from his operation. His surgery was May 16 and he is still feeling the healing pains. His nutritionist recommended he aim for 130g/day of carbs or as close as possible. He has managed to maintain his weight through 6 weeks of radiation and is on his 3rd five day cycle of oral Chemo now. He has had very little nausea and has overall been able to keep up with normal activities. The steroid makes him wired so he has to combat that, and he has an unusual craving for all things tomatoe sauce based... but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Well, as usual as having cancer can be anyway. He has never had a real weight problem but he has always had a huge sweet tooth (blessed with the metabolism...it was just barely starting to catch up to him) he used to drink lots of soda and well, pretty much just whatever he felt like really. He lost weight while in the hospital and is well within his normal bmi range but his weight has stabilized and he is maintaining well now. It is difficult for someone who has never had to think about food to all of a sudden be aware of everything that goes into his body. He doesn't drink alot but we use Diet soda now and Splenda...that sort of thing.

You hang in there too...post if you need to talk about anything...good luck with your weight loss and kicking your cancers butt!!!