Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #1  
kgb

Default why isn't it happening for me yet - weight loss

Hi

I feel like I am not getting anywhere with my physical recovery. I certainly have lots of peace in my day and the compulsion to binge has left, but I feel very de-motivated because I don’t want to be over weight. I have been in program for 2 months, I told my sponsor that I wanted to cut out some of my food portions and she said that was diet mentality. (I picked up the Dignity of choice pamphlet and have used it to mirror my food plan). I have to admit that my protein portions are way to big, for example I would have over 200gms in one sitting. On an average day I would have the following:

B. 1 mountain bread with 2 eggs, spinach, and tomato plus a banana for breakfast plus cappuccino

L. 2 mountain bread with 200mgs of protein eg chicken, beef or lamb with lettuce and 200gms tub of yogurt

D. 200gms (at least of protein) plus 1 mountain bread and vegies. + 8 almonds.

I feel that I need to cut out one portion of carb at lunch time and cut down my protein to 120gms (max) at a serving.

I am only 5.1 feet tall and live a very sedentary lifestyle.

Can someone please help? I feel very depressed today and need some advice.

Thanks KGB
kgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default Hi KGB

Hi KGB,
Sorry you’re feeling a bit blue today, but I so hope that posting all that down helps lift your spirit.

You ask a lot of very interesting questions. I have no ‘definite’ answers to any of them, because I guess that’s the beauty of the OA way of life – we each define our own food plan in accordance with our sponsor and our Higher Power.

Also, I have no desire to cut across the suggestions of your sponsor.

I can however, share my experience. I’ve shared here a lot about my new ‘relationship’ with my intuition. This has proved to be my best friend on the journey, and blows me away because for years, I ignored it; ignored my self really. I ignored the HP within me.

I posted on another thread an example of my daily food plan – I think it’s on the 2nd weigh-in thread, after you asked me my typical food day.

Here’s a few points that struck me in your post that might help –
  • Your food plan is very nutritious – good wholesome foods. Very inspiring.
  • 200 grams of protein does seem a tiny bit excessive – about 7 ounces. I probably eat about 6ozs (170grams) of lean protein for dinner – say for example, chicken with no skin, no fat. But for breakfast, I’d only eat about 130 grams. But I’d eat a bit more if I was very hungry or after exercise.
  • The sedentary lifestyle jumped out at me – are you medically prevented from exercise? I do know that in my quest for balance, exercise is vital to keep my metabolism going.
  • Because I’m in Ireland, I don’t know what ‘mountain bread’ is – so cannot comment on that really – although regarding carbs in general, my food plan began with the roughly the same amount of carbs as you, but has intuitively evolved over the weeks. Because I eat a lot more broccoli and cauliflower and greens in general, my carb intake has gradually lessened. I listen to my body; I’m not deprived, on days of high activity, I do eat a bit more food in general. But if I have porridge for brekkie, ryvita or bread for lunch, I very often don’t need more carbs at dinner. The days I don’t have carbs for dinner, I eat a bit more protein.
  • My sponsor does not decide my food plan; she believes that I am working from intuition, however, I am expected to share my plan with her in general, and she would comment if something was glaringly off-beam in her experience.
  • I rarely eat a full banana – again, it’s an intuitive thing, depending on the size and on my level of exercise that day.
PS: You mentioned the dignity of choice pamphlet – I have not come across that before at my f2f meetings. Can you tell me about it? I love the title.

Hope you have a lovely day KGB.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #3  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I went from day 8 to day 55 without physical recovery, and I was devastated. Why? Why not me? I had incredible spiritual and emotional recovery, but where was the physical? I was so angry with my HP for not giving me that.

I spoke with my sponsor about it, and she asked me if I had asked my HP for help with it in the first place. I said yes, I admitted I was powerless over it. She suggested I ask for help with my food every day--every meal, if I had to--and then really listen for when I had had enough. Much like Searsha's intuitive eating, I listened for that soft little voice that said, "okay, that's enough now."

From day 55 to now (day 161) I have asked my HP each morning or each meal for help with knowing when I've had enough. In that time I've lost 18 pounds. Try it: it doesn't have to be long or drawn out or anything. I just think, "okay, Afon [that's what I call my HP], let me know when I've had enough," and leave it at that. Most times there comes a point where I put my fork down to say something or do something and forget I'm eating...and I figure if I forget I'm eating, I've obviously had enough!

I know exactly where you are and how you're feeling. Work on your connection with your HP. It's there, you just have to listen and trust it. It may be that you need a much smaller amount of food than you think you do. If you're small and sedentary, it won't take much food to keep you running. Trust your HP, and remember that hunger is not permanent. You'll get to eat again soon.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi KGB,

I often have felt the way you described. I, too, am 5'1" and find that I need smaller amounts of food than most people. This has made me mad in the past with a "no fair" attitude!!! I still feel this way sometimes but I'm working on it

Every person's food plan is different in OA according to what their body needs are....For me, I met with a nutritionist the beginning of '07 and I was surprised at how small the portions were that she recommended for me (based on losing one pound per week). It was consistent nutrition throughout the day but dinner and lunch were 2-3 oz of protein and a small snack in the afternoon that included protein and good fat. Lots of veggies, a few servings of whole grains and two fruits were included in there as well. She also allotted me 1000 calories a week for extras.

I don't follow that plan to the T but now that my stomach has "shrunk" some because I'm not eating the huge amounts of food I used to, I get full so easily on those small amounts. The compulsive eater that I am, this sometimes makes me grateful and sometimes makes me mad when I want to eat more! Like I said, I still work on this

I am at a point right now where I want to step up my weight loss too and I have to get real that I need to eat less and move my body more. I HAVE to get moving everyday or the weight does not budge.

I met some friends for breakfast after we all saw our kids off for the school camping trip very early this morning. I ordered from the alacarte menu: egg on the side, slice of whole grain toast, fruit and tea. I was being questioned, "Is that all you're going to eat? That doesn't seem like a lot of food" blah blah blah. But I was completely satisfied and full afterward and didn't have that yucky bloated feeling that I would have with pancakes and such.

I like what others above have had to say about connecting to your HP and learning to trust your body. That's been the biggest gift I've gotten from OA thus far. I've been kinder to my body the last ten months than I've been in my whole life. It feels good

Good luck and keep us posted.

xo
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #5  
kgb

Thanks ladies for your feedback. I am feeling much better today.

I finally weighed my self I am 180.5 pounds. This is 33 pounds more than I was last year this time. My highest weight reached 227.76 pounds after having my baby 3 years ago. I lost some of the weight in WW and then did the Dr Cohens diet which got my down to 146 pounds. I binged my way back up the scales before coming to OA 2 months ago.

Now that I know my weight I can measure what is going on and not play on feelings.

I have decided to half my protien at each meal and increase the amount of vegies.

I work in an office and drive to work. I did join the gym a month ago and started working out three times a week.

Thanks again KGB
kgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

kgb--Glad you're feeling better. Hope your adjustments work.

Tomorrow marks 30 days of Abstinence for me and I will be weighing in later in the week. I have such mixed feelings about it. I sort of wish I could avoid it all together. But, I guess I need to remember that the physical recovery is important as well and I need to know how I'm doing on that end.
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Ann,
I am right there with you. My second weigh in date is approaching. I may have to weigh in a bit later as we are going on vacation. You are so right the physical recovery is only part of the whole recovery. I don't look forward to weighing in but I know how important it is.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Congrats on 30 days of abstinence!! I still have my chip in my nightstand right next to my bed.

Good luck on the weigh ins. You guys'll do great!
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Charlene--Thanks! I was happy to see a 13 lb weight loss this month. I really struggled getting on the scale. I was afraid that I'd have a negative reaction regardless of what I saw. I was scared that if the loss was none or very little, I'd give up and walk away from the program. I was also scared that if it was too much, I'd start getting a bit cocky and maybe be less diligent about weighing and measuring, etc. I spent a day or so writing about it, talking with my sponsor, and doing lots of thinking.

I'm glad I had a nice weight loss, but I'm smart enough to know that a lot of it was water (I was really eating like a pig before going to OA). I also realize that since I have so much more to lose than others, the rate may be a bit faster initially. I also know that it'll slow down now and be more realistic from this point forward. And, I need to keep the focus on all the things I'm doing right and not the number on the scale. Obviously, I want it moving in the downward direction, but the rate of loss is not important to me right now. For the first time in my life, my focus is definitely more about the head and soul than the body.

I don't know how some folks weigh in more than once per month. The more I get on that scale, the harder it is for me to keep the focus on the program and not the scale. My sponsor advised me early on to weigh in once a month at the most.

Bumps--Good luck with your approaching weigh in. Just remember that they're just numbers. The goal is to change your relationship with food and to improve your life by not eating compulsively. The weight loss will come (for both of us, I hope), but it's just a small piece of the puzzle.
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote