Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'10"

Question Confused About Exercise. . .

Hello, All! I've been reading through the various posts here regarding exercise, and I'm just plain confused. I understand that I shouldn't be exercising the first month or so on the IP plan, but why is it not recommended to exercise after that? Wouldn't additional cardio work push me further into ketosis? Is there a downside to doing cardio that I'm not aware of? As for lifting weights, it has been a regular part of my life for so long that it feels awkward not to do it at all. I understand that adding muscle may result in my scale not budging (or even increasing), but wouldn't my inches decrease? Can someone help shed some light on this for me? My IP coach isn't very specific with her answers to these questions, and I find myself more confused. I appreciate your input
SoccerMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #2  

It is my uderstanding that the ratio of protein/carbs/fat that we are ingesting on the IP protocol do not support the muscle's needs enough when we introduce cardio. If you over work the muscles and they do not have protein/carbs to draw from they will begin to break down, or something like that.

From all that I have read coaches who support adding cardio suggest adding additional packets or protein. I hope others give their input on this for you.
want2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/131/110

Height: 5'1"

I have been working out on IP since after the first week. My coach was iffy about it but I need to work out or I don't feel normal. So, she said if I'm burning 400+ calories (I'm on a 900 calore diet) to eat a hard boiled egg after my workout. I feel great usually but if I do start to feel weak, I do stop and head home. I usually spend about 1 hour at the gym 3-4 times a week.

Last edited by RebekahDapar; 04-04-2010 at 03:26 AM.
RebekahDapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #4  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerMomof3 View Post
Hello, All! I've been reading through the various posts here regarding exercise, and I'm just plain confused. I understand that I shouldn't be exercising the first month or so on the IP plan, but why is it not recommended to exercise after that? Wouldn't additional cardio work push me further into ketosis? Is there a downside to doing cardio that I'm not aware of? As for lifting weights, it has been a regular part of my life for so long that it feels awkward not to do it at all. I understand that adding muscle may result in my scale not budging (or even increasing), but wouldn't my inches decrease? Can someone help shed some light on this for me? My IP coach isn't very specific with her answers to these questions, and I find myself more confused. I appreciate your input
The thing with IP is it wants to force your body to tap into your fat reserves for energy (instead of Glycogen...cabs) The calories and everything are so restricted that if you add strenuous work outs you will start losing muscle mass basically, not something you want because Muscle burns fat... and it does make you hungrier if you do work out... They say you can walk, the idea is to not increase your heart rate much (plus you can get dizzy)

Here is some useful info...

HEART RATE TRAINING ZONES
The whole point of using different heart rate zones when training is that each training zone has a different effect on your fitness. It is worthwhile taking the time to understand the benefits of training in each zone.

The value of each training zone should not be underestimated and although it may feel strange the first time you do an ergo at 65% (because it doesn't hurt and you're not sweating like a pig), resist the temptation to pull harder and just keep at it, it's on your program for a reason.

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%

Much of the benefits from heart rate training involve the body's energy systems and one of these systems is responsible for the long term supply of energy to your working muscles.

Fat is an abundant source of energy for the endurance athlete. Training within this heart rate zone - best accomplished by doing long, slow ergos, (or runs or water-work) - develops the body's ability to feed the working muscles more efficiently.

The other major advantage to training in this zone is weight loss, because you are almost exclusively burning FAT. You will also be allowing your muscles to re-energize with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced work-outs.

Underestimate this training zone at your peril.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%

When you train in this Heart Rate zone, you are training your cardiovascular system. Within this range, the body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved.

As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone you will get the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity. 75% training often feels good.

This zone is also ideal for developing local muscle strength.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%

This is the zone in which an enormous amount of benefit can be gained.

Somewhere between 80 and 90%, your individual anaerobic threshold is hiding. Between these heart rates, you use very little fat, instead you start to use glycogen - which is stored in your muscles - as the main source of energy.

Unfortunately, one of the by-products of burning this glycogen, is the rower's worst enemy, Lactic Acid.

There is a point at which the working muscles are producing lactic acid at a faster rate than the body can remove it. The heart rate this happens at, depends on you as an individual but when you do hit this point - known as Anabolic Threshold it will be accompanied by a rapid rise in heart rate and a slowing of your pace - sound familiar?

Through the correct training it is possible to delay the Anabolic Threshold either:
# by increasing the heart rate at which you reach it or
# by increasing your body's ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time.

The fitter you are the nearer you will be racing to your Anabolic Threshold. But beware, pulling a 1:45 split does not mean you are rowing at your Anabolic Threshold if the training you have been under-going is incorrect.

Assuming you are fit you will be racing at just below, or right on, your AT (depending on the length of the race). Sometimes elite athletes can hold a pace above their AT but for most mere mortals "going off too hard" will only result in you "blowing up" half way through a race - something most of us have experienced at some stage, and it's not pleasant.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

In this zone you will only be able to train for short periods of time. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibers and helps to develop speed.

It is worth being aware that to develop this speed you must first have developed your ability to deal with lactic acid.

This zone is reserved for racing sprints and only the very fit are able to train effectively within the red line zone.

Remember, training very near your maximum HR can be dangerous.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'4

Deinekatze - thanks for posting this useful information! My question is this - how do you determine what your heart rate is at the different percentage levels? I am going to begin walking to train for the 10k road race I do each year on July 4th. I typically walk it, so I am not actually racing with the other participants - it's just a personal goal. I want to try to run-walk it this year, but will the "training" interfere with my weight loss? Thanks for any help you can provide.
kdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #6  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubya View Post
Deinekatze - thanks for posting this useful information! My question is this - how do you determine what your heart rate is at the different percentage levels? I am going to begin walking to train for the 10k road race I do each year on July 4th. I typically walk it, so I am not actually racing with the other participants - it's just a personal goal. I want to try to run-walk it this year, but will the "training" interfere with my weight loss? Thanks for any help you can provide.
not if you are walking ;-)

Calculation of Maximum Heart Rate

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula

* MHR = 220 - Age

So the best zone to be at for the IP protocol is between 60% and 70% of your MHR... that way you are tapping into the fat reserves more.

You can get a heart rate monitor and make your life easier as well...so you know exactly where you are at during your activities
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote