Old 07-29-2006, 05:42 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Advil, motrin, ibuprophen ... all aspirin derivitives. And hard on your stomach, yes. You should not take them on an empty stomach.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 AM   #17  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If any of you have been taking decongestants for a long time (years, not just a few days/weeks), that can also potentially cause digestive problems. I have severe allergies and took Claritan-D for probably close to ten years. Several years ago, I noticed that eating certain foods made me feel nauseaus. It started with certain nuts, but then the list of foods I couldn't eat started getting longer and longer, including cheese and eggs even. I didn't have an allergic reaction to the foods, they just made me feel slightly nauseaus. At the end, even just the smell of peanuts would do it to me. The nausea would last all day, sometimes for a couple of days.

Then I went to see an allergist for other medical issues and the first thing he did was take me off the Claritan-D. Apparently decongestants work by constricting your blood vessels. That's great for your sinuses, but when you are taking a pill like Claritan-D, it isn't able to target just your sinuses. Instead, it constricts your blood vessels all over your body, including in your digestive tract. So people who have been on decongestants for a long time sometimes start having digestive trouble.

After going off Claritan-D, my digestive troubles went away within a week. I can now eat all the foods I wasn't able to eat before (except raw onions, but that's a different issue).

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #18  

Hi Snuggle, I have the same problem and have been suffering for years now. I can't eat any fruit or salad without feeling sick. Sometimes leads to actual vomit. It has been years since you posted this issue, I am wondering if you have found a cure yet or at least a way to control it.
I'm really sad cause I used to love fruit. My weight has balooned cos I can't substitute my food with fresh fruit or vegetables
suzzythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #19  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Fruit is full of sugar as well as each fruit having its own chemicals which it produces to protect itself. They are called antinutrients.

Here is a page of info about what it is in the food you might be reacting to:

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...reference.aspx

Many folks find that eating fruit with something with fat in it, such as cream, makes it easier to digest. I noticed, when I lived in Europe, that fresh berries were usually served with cream or cheese.

The insecticides, fungicides, waxes, etc., used on the plants and fruit could also be a trouble.

I know several who can eat frozen, canned or cooks fruits, but some of the fresh ones cause problems.

This paper at Barry Groves' site, on cooked food, might be of interest:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cooking-1.html

Hope these are a help.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #20  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

The only time I've ever noticed a problem with fruit is if I try to eat an apple on an empty stomach. That makes me feel awful! (not nauseous, just... even mor hungry I guess)
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #21  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Allergy? Acid level? Pesticide residue? Here's the dirty dozen card:

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #22  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm actually allergic to some foods. I was allergy tested as a teen and the list is any fruit ending in berry, tomatoes, chocolate, and coffee.

I outgrew most of those, and am ok if I don't eat too many of those foods together. Chocolate is still the worst, but fruit still does not agree with me very well and it's the allergies, I can tell by the ache in my tummy.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote