Old 03-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #1  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Default How does one pick an apple?

Let's get this out right at the start. I'm not a huge fan of fruits and vegetables. I can think of many things I'd rather eat than fruits and vegetables. Sorry, but I have to be honest with you and with myself. But, in the spirit of making healthier eating part of my "new normal", I'm trying to incorporate more F&V into my day.

If I'm going to eat them, though, I want the experience to be at least somewhat pleasant. And I'm having a really hard time picking apples. I hate mealy apples. I just had to stop eating one because it was too mealy. I just didn't like the texture in my mouth (didn't have much flavor, either).

I like red delicious apples, but they have to be crisp and have a smooth flesh texture. I've heard that the darker and harder they are, the smoother they are, but this one is quite dark and hard and it ended up being mealy .

How can I tell which ones are hard and smooth when I'm purchasing them?
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #2  
Reluctant Adult

Hi, Lena,

Your weight loss journey and mine look similar, and I am in 100% agreement that if I'm going to eat an apple, it better be a good apple!

I, too, got tired of using my limited allotment of calories on yucky apples, so I stopped buying Red Delicious. When I thought about it, I realized I bought them because that's what my mother bought. But there are several varieties out there that are much more reliably sweet and crisp. I strongly recommend Galas of Fujis. They don't have that deep red color we all associate with the perfect apple, but the texture and flavor are far superior.

Good luck to you!!

All the best, Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #3  

Galas, Fuiji's, Pink Lady are all good.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebeaR
I realized I bought them because that's what my mother bought.
Hey, that's why I buy them too, now that I think of it!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a couple of those other varieties you mentioned!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #5  
playin' for keeps

I'm super picky about texture when it comes to apples. I'm a Fuji-only girl. Sometimes the Galas are still a little mushy for my taste.

Good luck!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #6  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

QuilterInVA has the right idea! Pink Ladies are my absolute FAVORITE apples. Yum! *is now craving apples... but has none *
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

Ok, I have a Gala, a Fuji, a left-over Red Delicious and a something I can't remember the name of in my fruit basket now! Didn't see any Pink Ladies -- maybe I'll try a different market.

It's a little disconcerting to me that they aren't "apple red", but taste trumps looks anyday, right? Can't wait to start chomping down on them!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #8  

I buy Gala and Granny smith!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #9  

I like Fuji and Granny Smith best. Red Delicious are good in the early fall, around September/October, but not this time of year. I don't care for the Galas. The texture just isn't crisp enough for my tastes. I LOVE apples, but I will not eat a mealy one. ICK!

I wish they sold the Pink Ladies where I live. I have wanted to try them, but haven't been able to find them anywhere.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #10  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I've recently started eating apples again because they make such a healthy and filling snack. I wasn't a big fan of apples because I don't like their coldness on my teeth!

Now I core and slice them into wedges and microwave them for 35 seconds. This way they are not cold but also not cooked. I dip the slices in a tablespoon of tahini mixed with 1/2 tsp. sugar. Another way I prepare them is to sprinkle the slices with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. sugar before I microwave them and then dip them in some non-fat topping - yum! It reminds me of apple pie - without all the calories!

I like Gala apples best. Apples are usually mealy when they are old. It's hard to tell sometimes till you slice one if it's fresh.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #11  

Well, as you can see from my moniker, I LOVE fruit (and vegetables). Seriously, there aren't many fruits I won't eat. I'm already salivating for summer when all the good stuff comes in.

As for apples, I seem to be in the minority here. I like Empire or MacIntosh apples.

Sometimes I'll spread a little peanut butter on slices -- makes a nice contrast of sweet and savory.
fruitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #12  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'll second the PB on apple slices!! I like them crisp and crunchy. My very favorite are Braeburns, followed by Fujis and Cameos. At the Farmer's market in the fall I can get Cripps Pink and I love them also. For some reason I don't see them in the stores here, even though they are grown in Washington.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Mmm! Now I want an apple too!

One of my fav fruits is pineapple. I know they are not for everyone as they are high in sugar, but I just adore them! I buy them whole at the produce market-- often at a very good price -- and divvy them into 150 g "snack packs". Usually I have pineapple as my evening snack.

I grew up on canned pineapple and don't think I can go back.

OKay, sorry for hijacking the thread!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8.5"

[QUOTE=Less of Lena]I hate mealy apples. I just had to stop eating one because it was too mealy. I just didn't like the texture in my mouth (didn't have much flavor, either).

QUOTE]

Well I am in Washington, where we grow the best apples ever... but if you can get good ones, try the Pink Lady! Oh they are SO good. However, I bought some when I was in MO last year and they were horrid. You might want to give them a try. Other nice crisp ones are Gala and Jonagold. Avoid Fuji as they are mealy.... yuck. If you like tart, the Grannie Smith are good.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

Oh I love fresh pineapple too... and I have the little corer that you stick down in it and pull the whole thing out sliced! Pineapple is also great on he dehydrator, as are red seedless grapes, yum!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote