Old 12-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #1  
LLV

Unhappy I just can't do the wheat bread thing

I've tried. But I can't do it. I just don't like wheat breads. It's the texture that bothers me. I tried switching everything 'bready' I ate to wheat; I went from white pitas to whole wheat pitas, from flour tortillas to whole wheat flour, and regular bread as well. But sorry, I have to go back to white. I know you shouldn't eat too much of the 'white' breads, but that's just too bad, I can't hack this wheat crap any longer.

There, I said it, I got it off my chest, lol!

I eat healthy 99% of the time, I guess white breads will just have to be my downfall.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #2  
Opulent

Well, just be sure you get in your fiber elsewhere

I am the opposit...I can't eat white breads...I imagine that it's just like paste or glue clogging up my insides and providing empty calories with little nutritional benefit Must be all the research, studying and indoctrination into whole-foods eating...it's like I've been hypnotised into believing that "white"= poor health
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #3  

I know it's tough. It took me a while to get used to it and I still can't switch my pastas. I know it's not the best solution but have you checked out sara lee's whole grain white bread? I'm not sure how it is nutritionally I just remember seeing a commercial for it.
ambabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #4  

I hate the wheat bread too... I have been getting the Sara Lee Heart Healthy- it's 100% whole wheat and it actually tastes really good and doesn't have those weird crunchy things in there.
lucky_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #5  

No one in my family can stand anything BUT pure wholegrain breads.

Even the kids. They have been raised on it, and find the white breads well...tasteless, LOL!

It's probably something you can get used to over time, but start slowly. Go for the soft wheat breads, then to the 100% whole wheat, then the whole grain breads.
Loreebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #6  
LLV

Believe me, I've tried them all. The only one I really really like is the Baker's Inn Honey Whole Wheat. At least that one is made with whole grains. And it's really good. I just prefer white breads.

I'm not sure I've had that Sara Lee one yet, though. Thanks, maybe I'll check that out
Old 12-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #7  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I can sympathize . Aside from giving up my 4 cans of Coke a day, switching over to whole wheat was the hardest thing I had to do. I just suffered through and eventually you get used to it. I can handle it on a tuna sandwich now, but I can't deal with it as toast. So I gave up toast .

I wish I had some advice. Sorry .
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #8  
LLV

Well, what's weird is I used to eat all whole wheat products. But I don't know what happened, I just started getting sick of them, like I burned myself out on them or something. Like last night I made myself a sandwich out of my whole wheat pitas. And I'm telling you, I couldn't finish it. I ate about half and got up and threw the rest of it away.

Now I *do* like my whole wheat tortillas. But I still prefer the white ones.

I started my new lifestyle in June of last year. I went at least a year without touching any white breads at all. Then one day I went bananas. A loaf of white Italian bread sat on the counter and I grabbed it, tore it open, and stood there stuffing it into my mouth, lol! My husband came into the kitchen and saw me and asked me what I was doing and I was like, "White bread! I gotta have white bread!"

He just chuckled at me and said, "Okay, I'll stay out of your way, then."
Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #9  

Thumbs up

may I suggest the new Sara Lee whole grain white...it's sooooo good and soft
okie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #10  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

I used to think that whole wheat bread wasn't good for anything but sanding boat hulls. But...I tried Arnold Health Nut bread and it is pretty tasty! It has little chunks of grains and nuts in it. Give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised!
GeorgiePorgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Orowheat makes a pretty good whole wheat English muffin that you might like.

That said, I'd point out that a lot of the "100 percent whole wheat" breads that are now glutting the market are listing "high fructose corn syrup" and other questionable ingredients on the label; these, in my opinion, make these breads worse for you than just going ahead and eating a small amount of old-fashioned white bread. So, there's really no need to feel that just because a product is made from whole wheat it's healthy.

The real reason for choosing whole grain bread over white is that the white can cause a spike in blood glucose because the fiber's been stripped from the grain. Some of us believe that "spike" is harmful and contributes to weight gain and health problems. But it seems to me (not a doctor or anything) that if blood sugar really isn't an issue for you, you could just eat the bread of your choice and as Yogini said, get your fiber somewhere else.

It'd also blunt the "starch" effect (the spike) if you ate the fiber at the same time you ate the white bread, at least that's my opinion, and ate some protein and fat with the bread also.

From time to time, I slip up on this no white thing also and then it takes me weeks to get back on track because the "whites" are addictive for me. I know I feel much, much, much better when I only stick to whole grain products ... but I won't eat that stuff with all the high density fructose.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #12  
LLV

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, they're much appreciated. I'll look for the Sara Lee bread, but I've never heard of Orowheat. I'm in the United States, it's possible we don't have that here.

As for the "white" equalling poor health, I don't believe any one food group or 'type' of food can cause your health to be poor unless it's the only thing you eat. If you eat healthy 99% of the time and then one day eat a piece of white bread or a bowl of white rice, it's certainly not going to kill you. Some people stay away from the 'white' stuff for their own personal reasons and I think that's great, that's their choice. Never eating white rice again certainly isn't going to cause you to die at an early age, lol. But I personally feel that 'white' foods got a really bad rap (thanks to people like Oprah and Dr. Atkins) that wasn't deserved. Not as harsh as they made it sound, anyway. They're got people brainwashed so badly that they feel they're literally contaminated if they eat pasta.

That's ridiculous.

Now, people with diabetes need to watch those food because of the spikes in blood sugar. My mother had diabetes and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. That's definitely the exception. But I don't think 'white' foods hurt, as long as they're eaten in moderation. Nobody is saying you have to chow down on pasta all day long.

Balance is the key
Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #13  

I'm the opposite as well. Even when I was overweight you wouldn't catch me near white bread - to me it's like 'filler fluff' without any taste. The crunchier the better with my breads! We buy nothing but Ezekiel bread now - my husband, a certified junk food addict, won't eat anything else. I guess for some people it's just an acquired taste. Have to say that if I didn't like the whole grain bread I'd probably just skip bread altogether rather than eat wonder bread (UGH!)..
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #14  
Egy Kis Lany

YOu know what?
Good for you!!

Everyone talks about how this shouldn't be a 'diet' it should be a new way for us to eat for the rest of our lives... so I feel that admitting that WW products are not sustainable for you is a huge accomplishment!

Now that you've recognized this, you can plan the white bread/etc. into whatever plan you're doing.

If you feel like introducing some wheat back later, you can. You can also try other whole- or multi-grain foodss (maybe rye bread, or oatmeal bread) and not feel tied down to the 'wheat.'

I think that this is a good step for you, not a problem at all. Now... moderation. *smile*
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #15  

Just make sure whatever bread you choose, it does not have hydrogentated oils, any thing partially hydroginated or trans fats.

We used to get what we thought was a good clean bread at the grocery store, but you know? There ARE none without that crap in it! So, we get our bread at Wild Oats.
Loreebee is offline   Reply With Quote