Old 06-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #1  

Default Starbucks Frappuccino Bases

So I learned something new today - the frappuccino bases at Starbucks have sugar in them! So even if you order a frappuccino with sugar-free syrup, you're getting more sugar that what you bargained for....unless you ask for a base-less drink. I did that today and honestly it was pretty gross without the base. The ice didn't mix, so you drink all the coffee and you're left with ice. It was not like the creamy drink that I get so seldomly.

I looked - a serving of the Light Starbucks base is 10g of carbs for 2 tablespoons. The main ingredients are sugar and xylitol, I believe. I don't know how many tablespoons are in a pump.

I understand that ordering a drink from Starbucks without the base would have fewer carbs, but in your opinion is it worth it?
CostaRita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I personally do not limit carbs, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the taste and the nutritional info that there was sugar in all Frappuccinos, including the "light" ones.

I only get them once in a blue moon and I don't think I would bother at all without the base.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

they have a unsweetened iced coffee concentrate available so you can do your own frappis'. Very convenient if you don't want to do you own concentrate brew.
Brought two at my local Frys a few weeks ago.

TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

I've been very happy ordering decaf iced coffee with some SF vanilla syrup, then adding a little cream and nutmeg. not a frappucino, but relatively low-calorie, almost no carbs, and a nice treat
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I'm so distrustful of all those "sugar free" and "no sugar added" products in general. I remember once being so excited to find no sugar added ice cream. I didn't read the label, took it home, and proceeded to eat some. My blood sugar went through the roofand I was deathly ill afterwards. I read the label and realized there were 18 grams of sugar per serving! I learned that just because no additional sugars were added, did not mean it was sugar free. I read all labels now, and honestly if something seems too good to be true or seems to thick and syrupy for "sugar free" I pass. It's not worth getting sick. Glad you ladies found some alternatives!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

xylitol and mannitol are also considered to be non-sugars, but they're not really. and OH MAN!! can they EVER upset your digestive tract!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaRita View Post
So I learned something new today - the frappuccino bases at Starbucks have sugar in them! So even if you order a frappuccino with sugar-free syrup, you're getting more sugar that what you bargained for....unless you ask for a base-less drink. I did that today and honestly it was pretty gross without the base. The ice didn't mix, so you drink all the coffee and you're left with ice. It was not like the creamy drink that I get so seldomly.

I looked - a serving of the Light Starbucks base is 10g of carbs for 2 tablespoons. The main ingredients are sugar and xylitol, I believe. I don't know how many tablespoons are in a pump.

I understand that ordering a drink from Starbucks without the base would have fewer carbs, but in your opinion is it worth it?
To me, yes, it is worth it. I exercise enough that personally it won't effect me in any way. I only go to the coffee house on paydays as I treat, and I want a treat! Hope this helps.

Last edited by KickinIt23; 03-14-2015 at 12:07 AM.
KickinIt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I make my own skinny mocha, which could also be iced. This makes enough to fill two travel mugs, total cals around 140 (so 70 each)

12 oz brewed coffee
1 pack via (for extra caffeine!)
11 grams jello fat free sugar free chocolate instant pudding
2 tbsp dry nonfat milk
.5 cup nonfat milk
.75 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp sugar free zero cal chocolate syrup (Torani or DaVinci)
2-3 packs sweetener or skip it
Blend (I use an immersion blender).
Heat it or ice it.

You can also make other flavors with different syrups and different pudding flavors. The ffsf cheesecake flavor is interesting!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

a cuppa of joe, no frills no cals
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote