Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Raspberries

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yummy!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Yummy is right! We grow raspberries in our garden and I was pleased to see over the weekend that they're forming lots of blossoms. I can't wait til we have fresh raspberries to eat. We usually have enough to freeze so we have them all winter too. I love to put them in cottage cheese along with blueberries for a real patriotic snack. I eat them mostly that way or on cereal. My DH mixes them into his yogurt or puts them on ice cream. I have made a raspberry cheesecake kind of thing for a party, but too high calorie for every day.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Yummy is right! We grow raspberries in our garden and I was pleased to see over the weekend that they're forming lots of blossoms. I can't wait til we have fresh raspberries to eat. We usually have enough to freeze so we have them all winter too. I love to put them in cottage cheese along with blueberries for a real patriotic snack. I eat them mostly that way or on cereal. My DH mixes them into his yogurt or puts them on ice cream. I have made a raspberry cheesecake kind of thing for a party, but too high calorie for every day.
Sounds wonderful. I'd love to grow my own berries. But since we rent our house, the most I do is plant tomatoes and maybe some squash every year.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Mmmm. They really punch up a chocolate protein powder smoothie. Lately I've also used them in frozen yogurts...Peach Raspberry was a BIG hit at our house. I also use them to make a (way, way, way off plan) raspberry cake that is to DIE for, but that I only make when I have a special occasion to take the cake to.

Mixed in yogurt for a snack, tossed onto cereal...I loooove them.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Love um'. I wish I had a cheaper source for them, like my backyard. They are very expenisve, but man they're good!!!! In cereal, in yogurt or just to eat plain. Definitely one of G-d's better creations. YUMMY.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I consider raspberries to be God's Most Perfect Food! I buy a pint and a half every week from my farmers' market (last summer I bought 3 pints every week). Mostly I eat them in yogurt, on cereal, in salads, or just by themselves.

We have a guava tree in the backyard and I make guava jelly every year. One of my most popular flavors is guava raspberry jelly (but I use frozen raspberries for that--no sense in wasting fresh raspberries in jelly).

Here is a great recipe for salmon and raspberries:

Salmon with Fresh Berry Sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 16 oz salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries

Combine all ingredients except salmon and berries in a bowl. Add salmon, coating on all sides, and marinate for 20 minutes.

Broil salmon until it is done (flakes easily with a fork).

Place marinade in small saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch with a small amount of water in a bowl and then add to marinade. Continue cooking until marinade is slightly thickened. Add berries and cook for 1 minute more. Pour sauce over salmon and serve.

The sauce will be very soupy, so you might want to serve this in bowls.

Makes 4 servings at 320 calories each, 10.5g fat (1.5g sat fat), 67g carbs (4g fiber, 62g sugar), 31g protein.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote