Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #1  
starwish

S/C/G: 185/142/120

Height: 5'5

Default quinoa

anyone ever try it? what does it taste like? how do you cook and/or store it ?
starwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE quinoa!!! It's a yummy source of protein and fiber.

Quinoa cooks just like white rice (2 to 1 ratio for water and 10-15 mins of cooking time.) You can even cook it in a rice cooker if you have one.

I store mine in the box it came in. It's fine on the pantry shelf. If you live in a place where bugs are a problem, I would put it in a Tupperware container.

As far as taste, it's a little nuttier than white rice, but it is more mild than brown rice. Kind of like couscous, but with a different texture. It's softer like white rice and it's somewhat sticky as well.

You can use it just like you would use other grains. I'll serve it with a stir fry or you could pour a stew over it. It makes great pilaf too. I made a pilaf with onions and saffron one time that my DH really liked. It's really quite versatile. I'd bet it would even make a good hot breakfast with some milk and cinnamon.

When you prepare it make sure you rinse it first. I'm not sure why, but all the directions I've seen stress the need to rinse prior to cooking.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I read this before, so I found it again - "before cooking, though, always rinse quinoa. It has a natural protective resin-like coating of saponin which is very bitter tasting. Quinoa is rinsed before it is packaged and sold, but it is best to rinse again at home before use to remove any of the powdery residue that may remain on the seeds".

"saponin" is supposedly "soap-like," and you can sort of tell if there is any present, because when you rinse, you might actually see a tiny bit of foaming. Not true "suds" but the rinse water will feel a little slippery or soapy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Yup, one of my favorites, I eat it plain or put it in soup, make salads, or even use it as a base for stuffing.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I also love it. I use it instead of rice a lot (like roasted vegetables on quinoa). I've never rinsed it. I make a great quesadilla filling with a small chopped sweet potato, quinoa, black beans, mild green chiles and a can of tomatoes! Yummy stuff.

Just a note, it's pronounced KEEN-WA. Just in case you have to ask for it in th store (don't embarass yourself like I did the first time!)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #6  

I think it might depend on where and how you buy it, as some companies may do a more thorough washing than others. As when I bought it in bulk from a health food store, I did notice that when I rinsed it, there were light suds actually visible and the grains felt slippery, but when I bought it in a package, the grains didn't have that slippery feeling.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #7  
Mel

Gosh, I've never rinsed it! I buy it in a package so maybe that does make a difference.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

Yummm - my old roommate always used to make a quinoa Tabouli salad. I can't quite remember everything she put in but I know it involved diced tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, and onion all mixed up with cooked and cooled quinoa (the boxed stuff from Trader Joes). And then she would put in some lemon juice and a bit of olive oil. Not sure what else was in there... but she would make a huge batch and we would just keep it in the fridge. Sooo good with fresh veggies and in pitas!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #9  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I was told Quinoa is VERY fattening... is this true?
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #10  

It's a grain, so it is higher in calories than leafy veggies, but it's no more fattening than comparable servings of other whole or polished grains, which generally have between 100 - 160 calories per serving (about 1/2 cup for most). It has about 125 - 130 calories per half cup, which is pretty comparable to rice. (140 for white rice, 110 for brown).

Quinoa has a glycemic index of only 35, so the theory is that it has a much smaller impact on blood sugar and therefore hunger than many other starches (like potatoes at 70 - 90 and rice at 40 - 70, and white bread at 100).

For myself, I have found that eating carbohydrates low on the glycemic index and high in fiber (vegetables, fruits, whole grains) are more filling during the meal and less hungry all day. So 100 calories of white rice (when I could eat a cup or more at a meal and still want more) is not equal to 100 calories of quinoa (when 1/2 cup seems like a huge serving).
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

My DH and I tried quinoa a couple times and it didn't turn out very well at all. However, I have a new bag, a new recipe, and (thanks to this thread) the foresight to rinse it first. Wish me luck!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #12