Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #1  
Dieting Diva

Default vitamin D

I'm at odds with Fitday, the RDA and National instutute of health.

I have been trying to fine tune my food intake on Fitday. Every day I end up without any Vitamin D.
I am not a milk drinker, but eat yogurt, cheese eater and cottage cheese type person. I have horses and a dog and I get sunshine on a regular basis. Somewhere I thought eggs contained vitamin D. I added eggs into my salad. But everyday I came up with out any Vitamin D.
So I looked around. Fitday says there is no vitamin D in eggs. The Feds say there is none, but refer me to Linus Pauling Institute who tell me there is Vitamin D in Egg yolk. The Egg Nutition Center says there is some in there.
So should I just not worry and "custom food" the amount in ? I don't want to take a supplement at this point- but to try to get this worked out by eating the right things. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting that extra vitamin D other than capsules ?
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'd customize it. Although I adore fitday ... I admit it has it's flaws.

BTW ... the gals who do bone density testing in our little hospital say that the best changes they see in women who are seeking to improve their bone density (ooo run on sentence) are in the ones who use a Vit D supplement.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi I recently started taking vitamin D sup. for my skin (xcema etc.). But unless you are having a problem like this or with calcium absorbtion you likely dont need it . I read that 15 min in the sun a day is good for most people. I also use fitday and its not always acurate.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Some yogurts and cheese are fortified with Vit D, some are not. Customize fitday to match the brand you most often buy.

More and more research is showing that Vit D deficiency may be the biggest problem in the US right now. If you live farther north than the 40th parallel (most of the US and all of Canada), you can not make enough vit D from sunlight from october to march.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I live in the sunny part of the country, yet my doctor has me taking 1000 mg of Vitamin D every day along with my calcium.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #6  

sirak - the only way to get the proper amount of vitamin D would be to go in the sun for about 20 minutes to 1 hour per day and even that is not enough for many women. Many women who have 20 minutes of sun exposure per day still come up short on Vitamin D levels and then there's the risk from sun damage.

They're finding that Vitamin D is more important than Calcium for healthy bones. There's usually 400 IU in most daily vitamins but more doctors are recommending that women take at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day and many believe that 2,000 IU is the proper and minimum dosage. It's expected that minimum vitamin D will be upped from the 400 IU to 1,000 very shortly.

I have metabolic bone disease from a medical problem and I have done a lot of research on this over the years and seen some of the best rheumatologists and it's very important to get enough Vitamin D. It's the one supplement women really need.
valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Fatty fish and beef liver have vitamin D in them. Other than that and the foods you mentioned I don't think there are any other dietary sources.

I have also read that it is difficult for the human body to absorb D2 and that is the form most fortified foods have in them. From what I understand D3 is a better source, but this is just what I have read, I'm not sure how true it is.

I take a supplement because I wear sunscreen 24-7 (thus blocking the rays that allow my body to make vitamin D.)

Last edited by zenor77; 03-29-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: grammar
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #8  
LLV

According to fitday, most days my Vitamin D count is zero. Zilch. Nada. Unless I drink milk. But I don't drink milk every day.

Following quote copied from a website about Vitamin D sources:

Vitamin D is found in milk (fortified), cheese, whole eggs, liver, salmon, and fortified margarine. The skin can synthesize vitamin D if exposed to enough sunlight on a regular basis.

So yes, the Vitamin D in eggs is in the yolk.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #9  
Dieting Diva

I did pick up a bottle of "one a day" for now as I could never get on top of the vitamin D problem and ended up lacking several other vitamins. I got the weight loss end going and the cardio started. I have to work on one thing at a time.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote