Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/197.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Applebees

Anybody else just NOT impressed with Applebees. I was so juiced to know that there was a restaraunt that I could go to that already had the points laid out for me. Not only have I gone to 2 different Applebees & at both the service was horribly slow, but YUCK to their WW menu. I have gotten 2 different things & both were very very salty. The vegetables have been so mushy they almost disenegrated in my mouth. The red potatoes have an odd film on them

I think I'm much better off making for myself, or even going with a frozen dinner!
gemini1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have been to 2 different Applebee's recently. Both times I got the WW tilapia. Once was to die for!! The other time...made me wish I was dead. The fish had a "musty" taste to it. The veggies...although they were not mush...the were barely warm and they were seasoned and I kind of wondered if they had some kind of fat (butter, margarine, oil) on them too. This meal doesn't come with potato so I can't comment on those. I love the WW oinion soup...but that huge "crouton" just seems like too much bread to me. And I am sure it is white bread...which I try to avoid. They could definately do better!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Even for a low-carber Applebees is dangerous--they apparently inject their steaks with sugar! I don't trust calorie or carb counts from restaurants. No matter how standard they try to make things, food preparation is individual depending on what cook/prep cook is making it. Reality is, in a hopping busy kitchen, they're not going to care if they put butter on your veggies.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

they inject steaks with sugar?? Jeez!!

I dunno, when I go to Applebee's I don't always order off the WW menu. I can definitely make better food at home for fewer points, but that's the case at every restaurant. I usually get the steak and shrimp skewers - the meat is good, the veg is meh, and I don't eat the funky rice it comes with.

I don't eat at Applebee's just because they have WW stuff, it's only if I end up there. You can find something that works with WW at absolutely any restaurant.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I went and ordered off the WW menu once. I thought the food was just okay..... not great....and overpriced for what I got. I can certainly cook much better at home for a cheaper price.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

There definitely seems to be a quality control issue with Applebee's. Years ago I had a stirfry that was great in the Bloomington, IL Applebees. I don't remember the location, but I went to an Applebees while at a conference and ordered the same dish and it was horrible. The veggies were limp and soggy. I complained, and a manager came out and explained that the veggies used were frozen, so soft veggies was pretty much unavoidable in the dish. I replied that the Bloomington Applebees was certainly able to do the dish well. They comped the meal.

In Bloomington, the food is good, the service not so hot (they're very busy and never able to keep up). In Wausau, WI the Applebees has great food and great service (the restaurant isn't incredibly busy though except on weekends, when we never go).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

I've found every meal I've ever eaten at Applebee's to be "Meh" at best. If I'm going to spend my money out on a meal, I'll go someplace better.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

There aren't many clone bars (as my husband calls them) that have truly exceptional food. Chains always seem to "dumb down" the food, choosing to take the fewest risks, making food almost everybody likes, even though it means making food no one loves.

My mom is one who prefers predictability over taking a risk. She gravitates toward chains, and if we want to take her anywhere she hasn't been before, especially if it's not a chain, she whines "what if I don't like it?" Personally, my husband and I would rather take a risk and try something we might not like than have a soso experience, so we prefer privately owned restaurants. Unfortunately there are a lot of people like my mom (my husband's side of the family isn't any more adventurous), so the chains like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, TGIF, and Bennigan's end up where we go when we're meeting friends or family who don't have an adventurous spirit.

Whatya gonna do?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #9  
Not stopping at ANY cost

S/C/G: 260/220/160

Height: 5'5''

Thumbs down Applebees.....hmmm no

Hey everyone,
I have been on WW for 3 weeks now. I have lost about 15 lbs which I know will slow down, but I'm pretty disciplined. I am not crazy about Applebees period. I live in Frankfort,IL and I'm not sure if anyone has ever visited the one out here, but it seems all AppleBees have one thing in common... Awful service and blah food. I have tried 3 things from the weight watchers menu and all I can say is salt does not always equal better tasting. I was not pleased and especially not for the price. Boo
MCheyenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/197.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelinacc1 View Post
Hey everyone,
I have been on WW for 3 weeks now. I have lost about 15 lbs which I know will slow down, but I'm pretty disciplined. I am not crazy about Applebees period. I live in Frankfort,IL and I'm not sure if anyone has ever visited the one out here, but it seems all AppleBees have one thing in common... Awful service and blah food. I have tried 3 things from the weight watchers menu and all I can say is salt does not always equal better tasting. I was not pleased and especially not for the price. Boo
ITA about the salt not equaling a better taste!
gemini1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

I used to waitress at Applebees. I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone. Almost all of the food there is frozen. And, if you didn't order a steak, something deep fried odds are it was put in a microwave at some point. It really is one step up from fast food. I would avoid this place.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #12  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

We only have a few sit down restaurants in my area, and Applebees is one of them. I had been planning to go there for my birthday dinner this Sunday to save myself doing the math for points, but based on what you guys have been saying, I'm thinking not.

Thanks for the warning!
hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #13  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

I recently went to Applebee's here in Maine and tried a Pick-N-Pair lunch combo...I don't know what the Points were, but I was trying to make a decent healthy choice and I thought the combo would be good. It had good portion sizes, but the salad that came with it was icky...very limp, and it looked like someone just slapped it on the plate, without caring how it looked. It just looked....sad.

With it, I ordered the new mac-n-cheese...I LOVE mac-n-cheese, and this was a friend's birthday party, so I thought I could use some flex points and splurge. MISTAKE! The menu simply said "cheddar-jack cheese sauce"---but instead of Monterey Jack (that's what I am used to in cheddar jack, which I buy all the time), it was PEPPER jack. So the cheese sauce was basically spicy nacho cheese sauce, over mushy noodles. I was so grossed out...spicy nacho cheese is okay (not really something I like anyway), but not when you're splurging and expecting something totally different. I was not impressed.

But, the server was very nice, and they did their little birthday song and free sundae for my friend, which thoroughly embarrassed her, lol. It was a fun time, despite very disappointing food. I will say, even though I have not tried the WW meals there, I hesitate now to order them...one bad dish from a menu makes me want to stick with what I know, and not risk the money or my points.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote