Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

Default New scale, bad news

Sooooo, i've been on WW for two weeks now. I started at 218lbs and had my second weigh in yesterday and weighed in at 210lbs. i was so excited! I went to weigh myself this morning (I weigh myself everyday, it keeps me in check) and my scale wouldnt work!! So, during lunch today I ran out an bought a new scale (a WW scale for that matter!) I get home and weigh myself and it says 218lbs!!!!

I'm sure it will be down to about 213lbs tomorrow morning (I usually weigh myself in the mornings and I'm about 5lbs lighter than I was at night) but still, it means that my old scale was off by 3lbs. this sucks. I feel like i just gained weight in a matter of minutes. I'm desperate to be out of the 200's.

so my mom just called and she is having a really bad day and wanted to see if i wanted to go to dinner. i said no b/c i'm just totally bummed right now. now i just feel bad about it all!! just needed to vent. AND i was so bummed and feeling like 'why even bother counting points right now' and ate two handfuls of the garlic croutons that my bf eating right now. this sucks.

Last edited by DCchick; 04-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #2  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hang in there!

That really stinks about your scale...I know how frustrating it can be to find one that is accurate!!

I've decided that most scales are probably off by some percentage...floors are uneven, we move scales around, we stand on the scale with different balance every day, it is very difficult to be exact....but if you're using the same scale, at the same time of day, you can measure gains or losses. I have chosen to go by my new Tanita scale because it's the only one I have regular access to. So, for my weekly weigh-ins, what the Tanita says goes. The scale at work, and the scales at friends' houses may say something different, but since I have no way of knowing how accurate their scales are, I'm not going to worry about it. I stick with the readings on my own scale.

And those garlic croutons aren't the end of the world. Plan to stay on track for your next meal, drink some water, and you're already back on plan! You can do this!
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hello,
I know the pain and frustration of seeing your weight go up on the scale. I've been going through something similar. Keep in mind that some scales are "friendlier" than others. Also, you gotta think long-term, rather than daily stuff. I also weigh myself every day or sometimes, I will even do it several times a day! You should only weigh yourself that often if it helps and it sounds like it usually does. I think it's a great sign that you turned down the dinner out w/ mom.... I'm not sure I would have done that. As far as eating the crutons, you should just forget it and put it in the past. Weight loss is such an emotional journey and if you let the daily slips and frustrations get to you (which they get to me too), you won't be as consistent and your long term progress will suffer. Think about how long it took to put the weight on, right? The sudden quick drop was a lucky event, but in reality, weight loss is such a long and difficult process! Believe me, as I type this post, I'm telling myself exactly what I'm telling you, because I can really relate to your frustrations. Just hang in there and stick with it. It will work, but our bodies aren't machines and they do fluctuate for different reasons: hormones, water retention, muscle water retention, increased muscle mass, etc..

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck and hopefully, this scale will start cooperating soon!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #4  

thanks both of you it's really nice to be able to come here for support. i had a good dinner, recorded my crutons in my points tracker, and will go to the gym in the morning.

my bf just looked at the old scale and told me that it probably just needs a new battery. I'm going to run to the store tomorrow and see if that fixes it (that way i can return the new one, no need to spend the $35 if the old one works!) we'll see what happens. Now I kind of want to keep the new one b/c I figure it's more accurate if it's weighing me higher!

thanks again. onward on this journey i suppose....
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #5  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

HEY GIRL<
i totally feel for you and have gone through that myself. The scale at the family doctors is 5 heavier then my scale at home and my O.B. Doctors scale that i have to weigh in on each month weighs 2 pounds heavier and the one at my parents is just plain STUPID.
i get depressed just like you over it even though i know i am doing well. and am losing.
I as well check in each day i feel that that is the best thing for me to do.
Keep going and i wish you the best of luck.
let us know how you make out.

Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Did you "zero out" the scale? That is, did you find the little dial which you rotate to set the scale at 0 pounds before stepping on it? If the scale is digital you'll see that you can rotate the readout up or down (+ or -) by several pounds. Apply slight pressure to the scale with your hand or foot then remove the pressure once the display lights up. If it flashes anything other than "000" you must rotate the dial in the appropriate direction. So, if you have a readout of "006" you'll be weighing in at 6 pounds over your actual weight. Rotate the dial down until it reads all zeroes.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

No matter what the numbers on the scale say, you HAVE lost 10 pounds.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #8  

Bargoo,
you are a hundred percent right!!! 10 pounds is still 10 pounds!!!

WAY TO GO ON THE 10 POUNDS!!!!

Last edited by Shannon1983; 04-30-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

You still have lost the same amount of weight. Like Bargoo said. Did that handful of croutons really help?

3 lbs... 30 lbs... you've still lost weight. And you're still WELL on your way to being healthier. Don't sabotage yourself over a number on a scale!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

DCchick,

I can so relate about the scale issue! I was getting excited because on our home scale, I had broken 200 at times. Then the afternoon/evening I went to my first WW meeting, I weighed myself, in my clothes, so I could compare it to the WW weight.

Our scale had been acting up somewhat...wouldn't register our 12 y/o son, who is 102 lbs...definitely wouldn't register our 4 y/o daughter, who is about 32 lbs. But I wasn't prepared for the difference between ours and the one at the meeting.

Just 20 minutes after I weighed myself at home, the one at the meeting registered me at 205.8 lbs. How depressing! I was about 3.5 lbs heavier than the scale at home had me. Because we had already replaced the battery not too long ago, and because of how our old one wouldn't even register the kids, we decided to just replace it.

The day of my 2nd weigh-in, I again got on the scale here, to compare it to the one at the center. Thankfully, the new scale is accurate. There was a .4lb difference, but I'll buy that that's a normal fluctuation. What I couldn't buy was a 3.5 lb difference in 20 minutes time.

I'm one who does get on the scale multiple times in a day, but I'm not beating myself up with it. Rather, I am interested in seeing how my weight does fluctuate during the day, trying to see if there are patterns in what my highest and lowest weights are in a day, and I'm going with the lowest weight of the day on my weigh-in day. It was interesting...yesterday (Tues), I didn't go above 200.8 all day. But today, I've been hanging around 201.something up to 202.something. So of course I'm curious what has raised my weight back up today, but it's more a "scientific" thing.

Like the others said... 10 lbs is great! A loss, whether a big one or a little one, is still a loss! Congrats!!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburner77 View Post
Did you "zero out" the scale? That is, did you find the little dial which you rotate to set the scale at 0 pounds before stepping on it? If the scale is digital you'll see that you can rotate the readout up or down (+ or -) by several pounds. Apply slight pressure to the scale with your hand or foot then remove the pressure once the display lights up. If it flashes anything other than "000" you must rotate the dial in the appropriate direction. So, if you have a readout of "006" you'll be weighing in at 6 pounds over your actual weight. Rotate the dial down until it reads all zeroes.
I never knew how to do this with a digital scale. I don't know if ours has a dial or not...I'll have to go see.

Thanks for the info!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #12  

Thanks for the support everyone! So I put the new battery in the old scale it works! But now, i'm really torn on what to do; should i keep the new scale that weighs me in 3lbs heavier (which i assume is more accurate) or keep the old scale and save the $35?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Why do you assume the new one is more accurate?

I would stick with the old one that still works, save yourself the $35 for something like fresh veggies
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #14  

i know isnt that terrible, seriously though, it probably is more accurate. it's newer, more solid, etc etc

i guess it's not a huge deal, it's a 3lb difference. youre' right, i'm going to keep the old one and save the $35. i spend too much money anyway

thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #15  

I would honestly go with the new one if it is closer to what WW said,, That way you are no up for any suprises!!