3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Momentum / Flex (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex-222/)
-   -   Flex talk (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex/128603-flex-talk.html)

Jane 12-09-2007 11:06 PM

Flex talk

I asked Suzanne to give us this area to call our own, and I hope you like it and use it often. Having a thread where we can discuss Flex issues, and share our day to day triumphs and struggles can be a good thing.

Personally, I like Flex because I know there is a limit of total foods/points for the day. I can't always be trusted to stop when I'm no longer hungry.

Why did you choose Flex? Do you use it exclusively, or pair it with Core?

flower 12-10-2007 11:07 AM

I think I use flex beacause as a mom of 4 sons on a budget, I have to eat what is avaliable at the time. I have to be able to make the best choices from what is there. Sometimes I will have to scale a portion down to make it work, but it doesn't mean I can't eat it. I don't want a good/bad food mentality. Gotta learn if I make a poor choice, I get less. I make good choices, I get more. Besides...I have a problem with my kidneys, high protein, dark green veggies trigger stones for me.

Tejas 12-10-2007 11:18 AM

Hi:

I'm mostly over on the Core thread, and eating mostly Core. But, I do count points since it seems to be the only way that I personally lose any pounds.

I've learned over the years that the Core foods are the ones I like. So, I'm lucky. But, I also have some problem with the fact that there are very healthy foods that are not CORE, yet are a part of the low GI diet, e.g, nuts. Nuts are high fat, high calorie, but walnuts and almonds are part of a healthy diet, unless, of course, you have an allergy to them!

It does seem to be an issue for some people on Core to recognize when they are full. But, there are others who are reporting significant weight losses on Core.

I've lost about 40 pounds, using both Core and Flex approaches, but have gained some back and am now losing that....AGAIN. I'm trying to focus on the health aspects of it all.

Rhonda

Shay 12-10-2007 01:59 PM

I chose "flex" because of its flexibility. I enjoy being able to eat what I want and not having foods that are off limits. Off limits foods do not work for me.

boaterswife 12-10-2007 02:20 PM

I started with flex and have not deviated from that. It works for me! I chose the flex plan because I have a DH, DS and DD at home and didn't want to have to cook two separate meals or totally turn their world upside down. We eat many of the foods we've always eaten, for me it includes a better understanding of portion control as well as modifying some of the recipies to make them more ww friendly. No one has noticed these slight changes, or if they have, they've not commented on them. So in the long run my doing flex has helped them all as well. DH has lost about 20 pounds over the last 16 months....not a whole lot, but he's lost it without changing his eating habits so it has to be the changes in prep that's making the difference. DS also looks to me like he's lost about 15 pounds. Flex is a plan that allows me to still eat my favorite foods and not feel deprived.....yadda, yadda, yadda....wow! I need to jump back down off my soapbox, eh?!

Frozen Peach 12-10-2007 07:48 PM

Flex works for me because of the flexibility and I love that nothing is off limits if I have the points for it - PLUS it has taught me portion control. The 8 GHG also help keep me in check and make sure I don't use all my points on Junk!

Jane 12-11-2007 09:47 AM

Good morning,

Kelly - I have to admit, I've made changes in some of my recipes, too, and DH Neal is none the wiser. :D Most of the recipes, though, are the same as before, and I just eat less of the dish.

Tejas - I think there are a lot of people that combine the programs. I combine WW with the teaching of Dr Oz and Dr Phil.

Flower, Shay and FrozenPeach - good points!

Yesterday was Neal's birthday, so the kids and grands were here. His favorite cake is angel food, and since I dont like it much, I didn't eat any. But I did have 1/2 cup planned ice cream.

Today I have to run errands and go to the doctor with my DD. I also want to get a batch of cookies baked for the freezer, for Christmas.

What's on your agenda for the day?

Shay 12-11-2007 01:09 PM

Today my plan is to eat all of my points. Right now I need to add 2pts to my planned menu. Also I plan to do Week 6, Day 1 of the Couch to 5K program during the Biggest Loser tonight. I'm also attempting to get all of my water in before 8pm. That is always a struggle.

Jane 12-11-2007 06:18 PM

You can do it, Shay! :cheer:

boaterswife 12-11-2007 08:31 PM

Errands are calling my name as well this week. I'm trying to get as much done as possible so that I don't have anything on my mind except fun when we head to Branson on Friday for our annual family Christmas trip. When I have too many things to do at home I find it eats at me while I'm trying to have fun! I also need to finish up my holiday baking.....hmmmm....maybe 3-4 more hours a day could help?

Shay, I've thought about the C25K program but never really looked in to it....does it feel do-able? I'd like to know your thoughts!

Frozen Peach 12-11-2007 10:52 PM

oh I wish I could do the couch to 5K but I just can't run - I'm very prone to shin splints (in fact, am nursing one now).

Today was a busy day at work which can be good - DD9 was home sick....good thing DH managed to get the day off!

Tomorrow I meet with my trainer again - haven't seen him in two weeks and he won't be happy with me - I totally flaked on weight training and now this shin splint...sheesh!!!

LOVE BIGGEST LOSER and am okay with the final 4 - Bill is my fave just coz...not a fan of Hollie but I realize she has other stuff going on....but still....I'm just sayin'

I'd love to bake cookies for the freezer but they'd never make it there! LOL

sbrooke723 12-12-2007 02:33 PM

WW isn't working for me...help!!

I have been following flex and having very little success. I have about 20 lbs total to lose...and in a month, I lost 3.8, then gained 2.2, then lost 2.0, then gained .8. I am VERY frustrated and want to quit since I've been following the pland and working out. I have been eating about 2/3 of my flex points per week and none of my activity points. I've followed the healthy eating guidelines as well and do not know why this plan simply does not seem to work for me...any advice or similar situations or successes would be greatly appreciated. Carrying aroudn this extra 20 lbs is really effecting my overall happiness.

Jane 12-12-2007 02:54 PM

Kelly -you know, I've never been to Branson, but people that have say it's great! I bet it's beautifully docorated for Christmas. Like you, I want the house all clean, etc. when I go on vacation. I forgot to empty the coffee pot one time, and it was a moldy mess when I returned, lol. My "pre-A/C" days.

Peach - hope your DD is better today. I make cookies to freeze, also. We have a big freezer in the shed, so they aren't handy to nibble, lol. Good thing, too!

sBrooke - oh dear, how frustrating! My suggestion is to look back in your journal and see what you did differently the weeks you lost. Are you drinking your water faithfully? Some say it makes no difference in their weight loss, but it sure does, for some of us. I think others will have some good suggestions, too.

Hello to all that read this thread. :wave:

I'm having a party for my scrapbook friends tomorrow, and that will be a challenge. The menu is within reason, but still.

Hope you're all having a great day. :)

Shay 12-12-2007 05:53 PM

Kelly--C25K is very doable. The fact that I can do it at this weight and height is a testament to the program. I hadn't run in a few years and my experience was brief and outside. I'm doing it on the treadmill currently. You set your own speed and there is nothing wrong with repeating weeks or days. I have been fortunate enough to been able to go straight through so far. We'll see because after Day 2 of Week 6 there are no more intervals.

sbrooke723--I'm actually not an official ww member any longer but I still have my books. Isn't the recommendation to eat all of your points? That may make a huge difference.

Frozen Peach 12-12-2007 08:02 PM

Yup DD is better today :)

met with trainer and as I expected, he wasn't happy but he wasn 't too rough LOL

I have GOT to get back to the gym regularly and do my weight training as well as the cardio

I know one thing - I'm tired from the gym but it's a good tired :D