Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/249/250

Height: 5'11"

Default 110 pounds down, but more to go!

A fairly typically childhood story, I guess. I was always heavy. By the time I graduated High School, I was certainly close to "fat" and despite being quite active in College, I was decidedly FAT by the time I graduated in 1990. My body has suffered. I had a badly herniated disk in about 2007 that required surgery. By 2017, I weighed my heaviest at 377, and both my knees were a mess. I had to get both knees replaced, which I did. That did encourage some activity, and I made some small effort to eat "better" but about that time, the doctor warned me of my rising A1C. I convinced myself it was the stress of being in constant pain from my bad knees and post knee-replacement, I just enjoyed NOT being in pain all the time.

By last September, I had shed about 17 pounds over a few years to get down to about 360. Not dramatic, but I thought for the first time in my life, I was not steadily gaining, and decided I needed to see my doctor, who I had NOT seen in 2 years. I have HBP, and he wanted to see me to see how that was going. Annnnnd... my A1C was 10.4! Ugh. My Mom died of complications from T2 diabetes and I did not want that road to be my future.

I did a ton of research and decided that simply "managing" T2 diabetes was not enough for me. I wanted to kick its ***. And the emerging research indicated that one way to do that is with a ketogenic diet. So.... I started. This is the first diet I've been on where I am not hungry all the time, which had made compliance much easier. And I have seen results. At first, the fat just MELTED off me it seemed, and my blood sugar levels dropped fairly quickly too. I started in earnest on the Keto diet at the beginning of October 2020 at about 360 pounds. Now, about 6 months later, my A1C has been steady at 5.3% for a few months running, and I am down to 265 pounds.... more than 110 pounds off my peak, and 95 pounds since October. I expect I'll drop below 260 (first time since college!) by the end of the month. Weight loss is now slower, but is still fairly steady. I'm trying to focus on metabolic health more than weight, but I do enjoy being able to buy nicer clothes (I was a 4x-5x **** and 56 pants before. I am currently in 2X shirts and size 46 pants). But I plan to keep this up for a while longer. The only down side is that I am middle-aged (age 55) and I have quite a lot of loose skin. Not sure if, or what I'll try to do about that.
FatGuyNamedSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #2  

congratulations on your weightloss! you are doing amazing! Keep up the fantastic work!!
lisaward4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #3  

congrats to ya, consistency is key and not going back to old habits. good luck to ya!
Nabes423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #4  

Congratulations!
SlimGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:31 AM   #5  

Congrats
shaikfaiz314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #6  

Lightbulb Lose weight fast

I truly trust my self doing this. Hope to lose weight soon.
Blackflow1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:33 AM   #7  

Great!
mehtabsillent32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #8  

I am 22 years old I love sports and cool cars
Mascofmendes is offline   Reply With Quote