Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default getting someone to "notice"

I am dieting in secret, I have not told *anyone* except you anonymous folks here

I thought my first mini-goal would be 260s (haven't seen them since 2000 ) but I think I just want someone to notice!

In your experience, how much did you need to lose before people you know start to approach you out of the blue to compliment you on your success?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 393/385/250

Height: 5'7"

When I lost a bit of weight before it was about 30 pounds before someone at work said "Have you lost weight, I notice it in your face". Even something small like that felt awesome Usually it's easier for people who don't see you every day to notice.
Rambo923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #3  

i know that ive lost weight, since having a baby in august ive lost 60ish pounds, people at work have made the comment about it which is awesome, i saw my brother in law for the first time in weeks and he noticed, but i ask my boyfriend of 13 years if he noticed and hes like nah not really. and in my head im going bannnas. like seriously ive lost a whole elementary school kid and you dont notice!! finally the other day he was like i can tell in your face that youve lost weight. it is so frustrating! i guess maybe i was really good at tucking it all into my clothes and stuff, and maybe because he loves me for me not my weight but i just want someone to be like OH MY GOD YOUVE LOST 60 POUNDS!!!
nikatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

my wife was the only person aware of my WOE. She noticed 25lbs-30lbs which was the same time i noticed some changes (was able to use a belt again, little easier to put my soaks on). Started getting comments around 90lbs from everyone else. Yesterday i got a comment out of the blue from a landscaper who does our office complex.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 06-17-2014 at 11:17 AM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/216/166

Height: 5'9

They say people start to notice after you lose 10% of your original weight. Thats 25 pounds for me. Unfortunately no one noticed at 25, but one lady gave me a compliment at 32 and i just got another a couple days ago at 35. I have only gotten two people that have SAID they notice, but I believe a lot more people notice but are too afraid/jealous to say anything. Keep going and soon enough EVERYONE will notice
FruitLoverForLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #6  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

after 20lbs body is slightly getting changed. People might notice when its not too "slightly" thinking 30lbs?
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I think it depends on how large you are when you start. I think I agree with the 10% idea. I have lost almost 20 lbs and maybe 1 person has noticed. Well 1 person has commented... who knows how many people notice but don't want to say anything.
summertime03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

I think it mainly depends what your wearing. If you stay in the bigger clothes people wont notice much. 20 lbs should be noticeable.
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #9  

Someone figured out I was dieting as I refused some cake. Then asked if I've lost any weight yet. I said yes, 10 lbs. However I think this doesn't really count, someone only noticed I was dieting, not that I lost weight :sigh:
Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

A colleague at work asked me if i was on a diet when i had lost about 20lbs (10 kgs). I am the opposite of all of you who have commented here so far because i hate it when people notice that i've lost weight. It's not actually the "oh, you are thinner!" part that i don't like, but all the atention people seem to give to what i'm eating from that moment on. If i eat cake at a work party, a co-worker who is also trying to lose weight will be all over me asking questions or sharing strategies to burn those calories. If by any chance i go trough a bad phase and stop loosing weight for a while it's almost certain that someone will ask about it too and so on... usually people mean well by doing those things but i feel it puts a lot of pressure on the whole process. Having said that, i do love when my partner notices i've lost weight!

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 07-08-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #11  

maybe those people who notice but don't say anything would say something eventually. My brother lost 80 lbs, I hadn't seen him for a year and I actually didn't recognize him at first. So I had to say something about it.

that's a good point with the people who always want to give tips. it seems everyone has their own theories about eating right. So I plan to tell everyone that I have not changed what I eat just eating less of it.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 247/190/140

Height: 5'4"

Because weight is such a sensitive subject, I'm not surprised that folks at work haven't brought it up. Frankly, I'm glad -- to echo some comments above, it invites too many questions and too much scrutiny. Don't need the pressure. I recently had company and it was impossible to avoid telling my guests that I was dieting which led to one friend attempting to grill me on what I could eat, asking if certain foods were considered dairy or fat, etc. I finally told her I didn't write a darn book, I'm just eating less and walking more ... and then not-so-politely told her to can it.
foodfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #13  
Crazy catlady

S/C/G: 262/251/140

Personally, as someone whose weight tends to yo-yo, I like people noticing it as long as I'm losing weight. But, afterwards, when I gain weight again, the lack of compliments makes me feel even worse.

It's like -- Now that I've lost weight, I'm "looking good", but as soon as I gain, do I turn ugly then?

So I really don't care anymore about people noticing. I also decided I'd stop caring what others think. Whatever they do, they cannot make me feel worse or better anymore. I'm now losing weight for my health and to feel better myself. Anyone who compliments me for suddenly looking better (as in: prettier) can bite me. If they compliment me about looking healthier, that's when I'll really love 'em.

I'm the only one who should care about how I look. People who love me, should care about my health and nothing else.
AngryShroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #14  
Crazy catlady

S/C/G: 262/251/140

I know I won't change human nature. But I can change all the negative humans around me.

People that love me for who I am, will love me regardless of my weight. They will however care about my wellbeing, which includes my health.

Like, take my boyfriend. He has gained quite some weight since we met. I don't even notice it. What I did notice, was last month when he had a doctor's appointment, that his cholesterol was really high.

We're now living healthily ever since, not because I want a thin boyfriend, but because I want the two of us to one day become old and miserable together, instead of dieing of a heartattack at age 55.

And people who care like that about me, can stay around me. Others I don't need.
AngryShroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/187/175

Height: 5'3

I find that if people make a comment and tell me I look so nice, I wonder did I really look that bad before? And why is how I look so important to them. Do they like me better when I look good? I think a lot depends on who the person is making the comment. Some people you know are insincere.

I do recall one guy making the comment that it shows that you like yourself enough to take the steps to improve yourself.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-09-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote