Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

Default Silly goal?

So my first exercise goal is simply to walk both of my dogs for 1/2-1 hour EVERY day. Right now we just go out in the yard and they do their business.

The only exercise I get right now is my job. As a vet tech it can be pretty rough, though not usually cardio intensive. I have noticed however that when I have a particularly feisty large dog to work with I am losing my breath and finding it hard to catch it again.

It seems like a daily walk for my fur kids seems like a silly goal...especially when last time I started working on my weight I jumped right into a strenuous 2 1/2 hour hike 3 days a week. I am way more out of shape than I was then though so I don't want to kill myself either.

I just don't want to feel like i'm not doing enough.
porchcricket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

It's not a silly goal! Both your and your dogs will benefit from walking outside daily. I myself have to walk my dogs every day, sometimes twice a day for 15 minutes around the neighborhood. That's how I got started with my weight loss; having the responsibility for keeping up with the dogs. As a vet tech, you should know the importance of walking the dogs to keep from them chewing the house down xD It's a great place to get started and get motivated to doing other things
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #3  
is stronger than this

S/C/G: 242/see ticker/142

Height: 5ft 6

It's definitely not silly! I normally find it easier to build up my exercise once I've got into a routine with one thing at a time. If I try and do too much at once I inevitably give up all of them after a little while. So this time around I am aiming for 30 mins a day, and one Zumba class a week until I get into routine with that, then I will join the gym and add a couple of sessions there, then add in some swimming once I'm used to that!
Also, since it's a very realistic goal - you'll be much more likely to accomplish it and then you get the little buzz of knowing you achieved your first goal!
Good Luck!
purplekitten7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

Well i'm feeling a little better about this being my first mini goal. I managed to do a half hour with the 2 of them pulling me around before my back was screaming too much lol. So I will be attempting a half hour per dog separately tomorrow morning. It is WAY more difficult than I had imagined. They kept wanting to go in different directions and drag mommy with them! Keeping i mind they are 50 and 60lbs of muscle.
porchcricket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

It sounds like a GREAT goal! Good for both you and your dogs!

LOL sounds as if you are already discovering it will be quite a workout!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 01-18-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/240.2/135

Height: 5'4"

FANTASTIC GOAL!!!

I'm kinda the same way. I'm a nurse an CONSTANTLY running around (especially now that everyone is on isolation due to the flu and they can't go get their own coffee/linens, etc.!) and I find myself sometimes sweating when I feel like I haven't really even done anything.

The way I understand it, ANY movement counts... no matter how pathetic or "silly" we may think it is. Start slow... get in a groove and once that's happened, you'll find you and your fur babies can go for longer walks and even runs at some point possibly!!

Good luck!
RNJen30 is offline   Reply With Quote