Should I start super small?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I think having a mini goal is a great idea! So, should I start really small?

Like setting a goal for losing 10 lbs. ???

Any other suggestions?
  • You should set your goals to what makes you comfortable. Mine are personal milestones (get below 250, 225, ONEderland, etc) Not everyone is going to have the same goals, but I think setting small goals is a good idea because then when you hit them you have a great sense of accomplishment and you're not waiting months for it.
  • As long as it's something that will make a difference to you, and will make you proud of what you've accomplished... 10lbs is an awesome goal.

Losing a dress size, attaining a fitness goal, a certain amount of inches lost... any of those are good motivators, for me anyways.

Good luck!
  • Personally for me, when I started this journey, it was too overwhelming to look at the big picture. Starting small helped me keep my focus and motivation. Do what you feel comfortable with, that's the only advice I can give you. Good luck!
  • I agree with fitmom. When I started my journey, the thought of losing 70-ish pounds was incredibly daunting.. so I decided on the same mini-goals as you. Suddenly 7 "Lose 10 pounds!" goals didn't seem so hard. I'm nearly done with my 2nd mini-goal, and it's super encouraging
  • I love the mini-goal idea and have adopted it as well. I hope you find the right mini-goal that suits you Middle. Our journeys are individual and different, I think that our goals should also be individualized
  • Quote: You should set your goals to what makes you comfortable. Mine are personal milestones (get below 250, 225, ONEderland, etc)
    I also have a long list of mini goals. All are important weights I once was, plus 10% increments of weight loss, and my half-way there goal. It makes me feel better to be working towards something small and makes the bigger picture not so overwhelming.
  • Thanks ladies! I decided to set my mini goal for 10 pounds. I think 5 is too small and 20 is definitely too much to focus on at once. And if it takes too long to get there I dont want to feel discouraged! So 10 it is! BTW! I weighed in this morning and I've dropped 3 lbs since joining Sunday. Probably just a slanted floor under the scale but I'll take it! Hoping to make it a full 5 lbs by Sunday. That'll be 5lbs in one week. YaY! Me!
  • Itsfunny, shows we are all different. I need a BIG goal, something i have to really work hard & aim for. multiple small weightloss goals id find too easy to put off, "oh i will do it tomorrow" because i know i can catch it up, & this is my downfall (found so in the past)
    Going down the decades are mini goals in my head, but only rungs on the ladder im still going for tthe final number.

Also THIS time whats different is that im doing the diet for 1 year no matter what!

Whatever keeps you motivated !
  • I found that many small goals while focusing in on that big goal has worked for me. I've set different ones on my spreadsheet:

- every five pounds I count as a mini-goal, with every 10 being a slightly bigger mini-goal.

- I have other goals listed for when I achieve certain bmi levels: no longer obese class II, no longer obese class I (I'm only four pounds away!!), and no longer overweight.

This works for me and I don't go broke because I'm not buying myself rewards! I've thought about it but I can't think if anything I want!
  • Middle, Congrats on the 3 Lbs!!!! Look at you go!!!
  • I've read about studies that show that setting a small goal is key to sticking with something for most people. We need the boosts of encouragement as we go along. My goals are to get through 3 weeks of sticking to my plan perfectly (takes 21 days to form a habit), then to get below 190, 180, etc... Until I get into the 130's. I'm so close to getting to 180's I can taste it!
  • My mini goal was half and by goal was obviously all, but I had micro goals, such and such weight by this time. But its what ever works for you good luck
  • i say do whatever kind of mini-goal you think will work for you. they're great to have and help motivate you to take it to the next level when you reach them. so if a 10lb mini goal is what you want then go for it. =]
  • I attach small rewards to reaching those small goals. Like a new book, pedicure, etc (anything except of course junk food!)