3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   MRC Maintainers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/244228-mrc-maintainers.html)

JenB72 07-02-2012 10:09 AM

TeacherLady, best of luck with your treatments. If you are concerned about the aftermath of having a baby, I'm proof that it can be done. Wasn't easy, and it took me a while before I wanted to take care of myself, but I did it and you will too. ;)

JenB72 07-02-2012 10:12 AM

The Florida heat is bad. I heard our heat index was supposed to be 115 today. :flame:

camaswa 07-02-2012 03:50 PM

So Jen, have you gone it to the center yet? I am betting your possible gain wasn't nearly as bad as you feared, and that you are getting back on track.

For me the dread is always worse than the reality.
Stay cool HNS popsicles, maybe?

JenB72 07-02-2012 03:55 PM

Oh, it was bad...real bad. Guess the heat is getting to me because I didn't drink all my water yesterday, maybe 60 ounces and I gained 4 pounds overnight according to my scales at home! My counselor did a Tanita on me and it said my water weight was up 3.5 pounds. She was confident it would come off in a hurry once I started getting all my water back in. Then we will do the Tanita again in a few weeks and hopefully I'll be back under goal. Officially back on the green menu, but I had been doing a combo Green Menu/Maintenance menu since last week, so it's not as much of a shock, thankfully.

camaswa 07-02-2012 04:13 PM

Ooooh, that IS bad. But now you know. And water is a lot easier to desal with than actual fat. I think I will go fill my water bottle now! Good luck!

nwcgina 07-02-2012 05:27 PM

Wow, lots of happenings around here. With everyone retaining water, know that it really is your body's way of protecting itself from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. There are 2 main hormones responsible for this...one (ADH) retains water, the other (Aldosterone) retains sodium. Upping your water does help, but even with upping water your body works like a thermostat and your body will just adjust hormone levels again. It is frustrating, but normal. I can tell I'm retaining water by how my ring fits. If it gets tight, I know I'm retaining. In the summer this happens especially if I"m outside and active a lot. It easily makes a 2 lb difference with me.

I was up to 159 and got back on metabalance until I hit 154 then I went on the green menu. I lasted 2 days. By the end of the second day I was ready to cause bodily harm to everyone in my path, so back to metabalance...but I was down to 152. Then this weekend with stress (DH extra busy at work, trying to sell/buy a house) I just ate all crazy like. Back at 154. So after a long talk with my counselor I'm sticking with metabalance. Even though it works, the green menu is too restrictive for my activity level and then my body just goes crazy (along with my mind). I may do a day of green here and there if I need to get back on track.

camaswa 07-02-2012 07:02 PM

Gina, see my question to you on the main list of threads. Thanks.

nwcgina 07-02-2012 11:31 PM

Responded. I didn't see it. I often just check in at the maintenance board now or I spend too much time on the computer and not enough time engaged with my kids. So just bring my attention to something I may miss elsewhere.

camaswa 07-02-2012 11:58 PM

Yes. I figured that. I don't see you post so much nowadays. Thanks for your help.

JenB72 07-03-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwcgina (Post 4391449)
With everyone retaining water, know that it really is your body's way of protecting itself from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. There are 2 main hormones responsible for this...one (ADH) retains water, the other (Aldosterone) retains sodium. Upping your water does help, but even with upping water your body works like a thermostat and your body will just adjust hormone levels again. It is frustrating, but normal. I can tell I'm retaining water by how my ring fits. If it gets tight, I know I'm retaining. In the summer this happens especially if I"m outside and active a lot. It easily makes a 2 lb difference with me.

Thanks for posting this! It actually made me feel a bit better with the water weight issue.

rachels77 07-03-2012 12:06 PM

I appreciate the thoughts on water... I notice that my hunger and mood seems worse when I don't drink enough... and my food choices aren't the greatest when I'm not hydrated... anyone else?

Also, Gina - it's good to see your explanation of the green and maintenance menus... it seems that way to me also. I'm in the final week of stabilization and I'm struggling. I don't know why, but I don't handle the "add this/add that" mentality... or the extra dairy...

Does anyone have any advice for the end of stabilization/beginning of maintenance? I still want to lose some more weight.... but I think if I go on the green menu restrively I get bored and it's just too much.

JenB72 07-03-2012 12:44 PM

Rachel, I've noticed the water thing too. I guess it's that old saying about mistaking dehydration for hunger. I ran into that Sunday and it didn't click. I'm trying to just go on auto-pilot with my water and drink, drink, drink. It's helping.

As for the switch from stabilization to maintenance, I kinda kept going on with my last stabilization menu. Every so often, I would add a new thing here or there, but I was so overwhelmed, I had to do what worked for me and I kept losing weight by doing that.

patzi 07-03-2012 01:28 PM

teacherlady...
Best of luck with the treatments.

I said I would report in today on weigh in day.. I lost one pound I gained and am back to 5 pounds under goal.. Did it by doing the Meta Slim 2 meal a day.. I will not try that again, as I was starving in the afternoon around 2. I will stay on green menu one week, and then go back to full maintenance.

Patzi

camaswa 07-03-2012 03:51 PM

Glad to hear that Patzi!

teacherlady79 07-04-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachels77 (Post 4392432)
I appreciate the thoughts on water... I notice that my hunger and mood seems worse when I don't drink enough... and my food choices aren't the greatest when I'm not hydrated... anyone else?

Also, Gina - it's good to see your explanation of the green and maintenance menus... it seems that way to me also. I'm in the final week of stabilization and I'm struggling. I don't know why, but I don't handle the "add this/add that" mentality... or the extra dairy...

Does anyone have any advice for the end of stabilization/beginning of maintenance? I still want to lose some more weight.... but I think if I go on the green menu restrively I get bored and it's just too much.

Yes, I get overhungry and make bad food choices when I'm not well hydrated, too.

Also, I struggled with the end of maintenance, too--mostly because I was used to a routine--and felt safe with that--and then had too many choices in maintenance. Just stick with what you know/can remember, make routines for yourself, and then continue adding new things back in when you're ready for them. Otherwise, it's totally overwhelming.

I wanted to continue losing even when I started maintenance last summer (just wanted to lose much more gradually, without going back to the green menu), too. They figured out that I needed about 1600 calories a day to maintain, so I asked for the 1400-1500 calorie maintenance menu. I don't even really use the maintenance menu anymore...I track my calorie intake on livestrong.com and pretty much eat the green menu plus whatever additions I want that helps me total up to 1400 calories a day. I also tend to eat 100-300 more calories on the days I exercise, too. I started mainenance last year in June, and I've lost about another 35 lbs since then--so I've managed to average about -3lbs per month (some months I simply maintained, some months I lost more). I didn't obsess about losing, just stuck to my total calories, and it gradually happened. I've been very happy with it. And, frankly, I have some loose skin (not a ton), so I'm glad I did the last 30lbs so slowly, or I would probably have way more loose skin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenB72 (Post 4392482)
As for the switch from stabilization to maintenance, I kinda kept going on with my last stabilization menu. Every so often, I would add a new thing here or there, but I was so overwhelmed, I had to do what worked for me and I kept losing weight by doing that.

Ditto! I mostly stick with what I know (stabilization menu/modified green menu), and add back some of my favorite things (coffee with cream, yogurt, bread at lunch, additional fruit, snacks, etc.) until I hit my total calorie intake for the day. I've found it to be much easier this way!

Noah Tall 07-04-2012 01:57 PM

So what kind of counseling did you get when you went on maintenance? I was 7lbs from goal when I ran out of time. They wanted me to resign, but I didn't have any money, so they gave me a maintenance menu and said good luck. I was on the vegetarian menu, and the proteins aren't on the maintenance one, but the counselor just said to switch them over.

patzi 07-04-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Tall (Post 4393829)
So what kind of counseling did you get when you went on maintenance? I was 7lbs from goal when I ran out of time. They wanted me to resign, but I didn't have any money, so they gave me a maintenance menu and said good luck. I was on the vegetarian menu, and the proteins aren't on the maintenance one, but the counselor just said to switch them over.

Hi..
I do not know who you addressed this to, but when I hit maintenance, there was a special maintenance program for $79.00 for the year and I signed up for that, and I go once a week.. My center has one afternoon a week, where maintenance clients meet. Some are having a hard time not going back to their old ways, and they say these meetings help. I work, so can't attend them. I also gained additional days for not gaining and reporting in during holiday times, then there was a $59.00 maintenance special and I signed up for that, so I have one more year to go before I need to sign back up.. I am one of those that has to be accountable and I find the center does that for me.

Patzi

birdfeet 07-06-2012 01:00 AM

Thanks ladies,I learned something else from you tonight. I am not on maintenance but am gaining some back. Haven't been on program for awhile and trying to eat as i should but not on menu. Well,I tried some of my old foods,most of which now taste different than they did before,LOL.
But I think I may have learned why esp at night I want to eat but not really hungery , I haven't been drinking enough water. I will up it once again and see what happens. Also with the hot weather here I can see if I retain as much as I used to in hot weather. [email protected]

patzi 07-06-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdfeet (Post 4395574)
Thanks ladies,I learned something else from you tonight. I am not on maintenance but am gaining some back. Haven't been on program for awhile and trying to eat as i should but not on menu. Well,I tried some of my old foods,most of which now taste different than they did before,LOL.
But I think I may have learned why esp at night I want to eat but not really hungery , I haven't been drinking enough water. I will up it once again and see what happens. Also with the hot weather here I can see if I retain as much as I used to in hot weather. [email protected]

Is there anyway I can convince you to go back on track? Just stay focused and on program and start losing weight again. Do you go to the center where the consultant can help you get back to losing? What menu were you on when you started gaining weight back? You are so worth it, birdfeet, you really are.. To do MRC you need to stay on their program. Trying to eat as you should but not on menu, will not work. You are just defeating yourself. As for eating at night.... When I was losing, I always saved my cocoa or decaf. cappuccino for nightime, as it was sweet and it stopped any craving I had for something in the evening. I had to have that, or I would end up eating all kinds of wrong things. If I can help you in any way get back on track, please ask. Remember , this is for you, and you are worth it.
I now make decaf. cappuccino iced as it is so hot here in Florida, and I add a few drops of sweetener to it.
Patzi

Patzi

teacherlady79 07-06-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 4395699)
As for eating at night.... When I was losing, I always saved my cocoa or decaf. cappuccino for nightime, as it was sweet and it stopped any craving I had for something in the evening. I had to have that, or I would end up eating all kinds of wrong things. If I can help you in any way get back on track, please ask. Remember , this is for you, and you are worth it.

Ditto this. I actually learned this trick from Patzi before I went on maintenance, and it's been a lifesaver that I have continued through maintenance. And, if I don't eat OP, indulge in something extra during the day, or don't have all my water in yet, I don't let myself have my nighttime "treat." It's definitely a motivator for me during the day to eat well, think twice before indulging, and to get all my water in. :)

Another thing to ask yourself when you're hungry: Am I truly hungry, or just craving snacks? Would I eat some chicken breast or broccoli right now? If the answer is "no," then you're not really hungry, lol. Just drink some more water and try to figure out why you feel like you need to eat right then.

patzi 07-11-2012 10:15 PM

I had maintenance weigh in on Tuesday and I lost what I had gained and am back to my original goal of 5 pounds under goal.. I will get off the green menu now and continue on with maintenance.

Patzi

teacherlady79 07-12-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 4402360)
I had maintenance weigh in on Tuesday and I lost what I had gained and am back to my original goal of 5 pounds under goal.. I will get off the green menu now and continue on with maintenance.

Yay! What a relief, huh?

Good news, y'all: I finally completed my 200-hour yoga certification training today. I'm officially certified to teach yoga now. :D I'm so proud of that accomplishment--and it's something I wouldn't have even dreamed of attempting if it weren't for my confidence (and increased fitness, obviously) from losing the weight!

ynapier 07-13-2012 10:00 AM

Way to go on the yoga certification. That's amazing!

JenB72 07-13-2012 10:43 AM

Congratulations, Natalie!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

brainsgirl 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

Hi Patzi! I follow all of your posts because i want to be like you when i grow up...LOL!! Actually, I joined MRC in 2008 and maintained quite well then gained a little back and went back. Am halfway thru stabilization right now and i have a question for you. When you go back to maintenance from green do you just right back in to full maintenance if you know what i mean? Does that cause a big jump on the scale?

teacherlady79 07-14-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsgirl (Post 4404155)
Hi Patzi! I follow all of your posts because i want to be like you when i grow up...LOL!! Actually, I joined MRC in 2008 and maintained quite well then gained a little back and went back. Am halfway thru stabilization right now and i have a question for you. When you go back to maintenance from green do you just right back in to full maintenance if you know what i mean? Does that cause a big jump on the scale?

I'm not sure what Patzi does, but when I go back to maintenance from green, I usually go back via the last week or two of stabilization. I don't know that it's necessarily because of my body reacting or not, but it seems more like if I go back straight into full maintenance, I don't have as much self control and tend to eat too many "rich" foods right away, which causes the scale to go up for me.

patzi 07-15-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsgirl (Post 4404155)

I go back to maintenance slow and easy.. I just don't jump right in. I find the slow and easy keeps me from putting the weight on. I know what I can eat and can't to gain weight, so just add back slowly. Hope I have answered your question.

Patzi

brainsgirl 07-15-2012 02:23 PM

Patzi, than you for your reply. So, do you go back to week three stabilization for instance? Just alternating starch and fruit every other day and dairy daily? Or not really follow the weeks and play irt by ear daily?

patzi 07-15-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsgirl (Post 4405795)
Patzi, than you for your reply. So, do you go back to week three stabilization for instance? Just alternating starch and fruit every other day and dairy daily? Or not really follow the weeks and play irt by ear daily?

I just play it by ear.. But I write it down. This week, I will go back to my baked oatmeal snack for the day, and will go back to my iced coffee and
an additional soy milk.. I will see how that works when I weigh in on Tuesday, then go on from there.. Tonight when I go out, will not have my glass of wine that I usually have when out, that will wait till next week.
Even though I am on maintenance I do keep a food journal each day.
Patzi.

patzi 07-15-2012 05:01 PM

Natalie..
Congrats on your yoga certification. I am so very proud of you. You are an inspiration to all..

Patzi

Tamikl 07-15-2012 10:34 PM

Hello ladies! It has been a while, but be assured that even tho I don't always post, I do check in frequently for support....doesn't appear that anyone has noticed that I have been gone!! LOL

Anyway, I am hanging in there, but I feel like I am on slippery slope lately. I push until I am close to my WI and then I reel it all in and seem to be maintaining fine. I don't think this is the habit I should be getting into tho...Makes me rely too heavily on the weekly WI and if it weren't there, as someday it won't be, will my willpower alone be enough to keep me focused:?: I know that in my head I tell myself everyday that I will never alloow myself to go back...but those few pounds that creep on do begin to add up and then I am freaking out wondering how I let that happen.

Anyway...the journey continues. I have decided that in the fall..I want to go back on the Green menu for a time...even though I LOVE maintenance:) Too much of a good thing is really not always that good, you know?! LOL Anyway, I continue to hover around my "red flag" weight, and that is making me nuts. My counselor agrees that losing a few will give me a bit of a cushion...and at that time, the holidays will be approaching, as well as a week long vacation the end of December...and I really don't want to bring in the New Year with regret of having to face losing weight.

I don't know...I may be like Patzi and just stay signed up for Maintenance. They run specials for $59 that cover a whole year, and I think that might be what continues to help me. That accountability truly is priceless.

By the way...I LOVE that Arctic Zero...but it has been recalled! I look forward to its return! Yummy treat!!

Thank you all for continuing to post and be here...

camaswa 07-16-2012 12:15 AM

Tami,actually I had wondered what became of you! So don't think no one noticed, ok??? There are so many new people on the monthly thread that I am missing some of the older, wiser, people like you.

First of all, I got a different flavor of Artic Ice and liked it a lot more than the first, but a couple days ago went back for more and the shelf was completely swept bare -WTF, I said to self! They didnt have a sign sAying there was a recAll.

in the meantime, you could try this: whiz frozen berries in the food processor till finely powdered. Toss in a scoop of your favorite flavor Syntrax Nectar and a tablespoon ff,sf instant pudding. Process, adding a small amount of water, till it gets creamy. You could freeze it a while, but I just eat it right away.

It's interesting to see how people manage maintenance. I dont think there is any weakens sin being dependent on the WIs for a while. It's a big learning curve and not a sign of weakness to look for help.

I have this idea that when I am finally there I will weigh myself on Fridays to give me a sense of how much flexibility I have for the coming weekend, then on Mondays to tell me how strict I wil need to be for damage control in the coming week.

Keep posting, Tami- how do we know you are still out there if you are only reading??

patzi 07-16-2012 01:42 PM

Tami...
You mentioned maybe taking off a few more pounds.. For me, it is a lifesaver, as if I gain 2 pounds, I know I am still 3 under goal, and when I lose the two, it is 5 under.. Gives me some freedom, but then again that is me. I need maintenace once a week, especially if I gain for no reason.. It makes me manage the weight a lot easier... I am sure you will find the way that is good for you. It is a challenge at times, but I know I will never let myself gain back the weight.. Good luck to you and it was great hearing from you. You are talking about it and that is a good place to be, which means you will act on your thoughts.

Patzi

camaswa 07-16-2012 04:33 PM

Artic Zero update! Guess what! I got a recorded message from my grocery store saying their records showed I had purchased it on July ___. They said the problem was in the labeling and it does have lactose dispite what the label said. Something like that. Anyway,it is only a problem for people who can't digest milk. My carton was long gone by the time I got the call.

I think I will wait a while to get it again even if it does come back soon. I have been telling people not to make so many substitutions, and here I am doing the same thing!

nwcgina 07-16-2012 09:50 PM

@Tami-I'm hearing ya! I too hover around the higher end of my comfortable weight a bit too much this summer. I go back on green a while to get back down...wanting to get to below. Thus far I get to my low #, but no lower. Then I get complacent and go up a couple of pounds. Summer is a lot of socializing and traveling for me...and the water retention doesn't help. But I'm going to continue to fight to not gain, then come fall really hit it hard to lose a few. I know if I set my mind to it and stay strictly OP for 2 weeks (like I did for FIVE MONTHS before) I will get there. I just let way too many this and that's keep me stagnent...but my counselor reminds me I am on maintenance. When I'm really ready to lose the last 2 I'll do it. For now it's learning how to enjoy yet spend most of the time eating healthy.

And I'm realizing how much changes to my schedule-and lack of sleep-make it easier for me to make excuses to eat something I shouldn't AND that I can't even say I really want. Tonight I knew I hadn't eaten perfect today so really shouldn't have my fro yo...lately I would have given in just because "it was a hard day" or "a little extra wont' matter..." but I said outloud "I want it, but I'm not going to have it." Reminding myself that I, not my circumstances, are in control.

camaswa 07-23-2012 12:07 PM

A great maintenance product

I wanted to tell you guys about a product I found called PB2. I got it on Amazon. It is powered peanuts with 85% of the fat removed. Don't ask me how.... 2T has 45 calories. I put it in the blender with milk and vanilla nectar powder. Unbelievably good! Like a peanut butter shake.

bigdog 07-23-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaswa (Post 4413934)
I wanted to tell you guys about a product I found called PB2. I got it on Amazon. It is powered peanuts with 85% of the fat removed. Don't ask me how.... 2T has 45 calories. I put it in the blender with milk and vanilla nectar powder. Unbelievably good! Like a peanut butter shake.

i'll def. have to order that - yum! would mix well w/ my vanilla bean torte and choc. truffle :-) is there any protein?

camaswa 07-23-2012 01:43 PM

Bigdog- a little, i think. You should look it up to be sure. (I'm at work...). It really tastes like peanut butter to me.

teacherlady79 07-23-2012 03:51 PM

Some health-food stores also carry PB2. I know my No-Name Nutrition place does, but I haven't checked whole foods or anything.

I've just been trucking along, mostly maintaining. I lose a couple pounds, and then gain a pound or two, then lose. I've been staying between 156 and 160, which is fine with me, as long as I don't go back over 160. :)

Stay cool out there! I don't know about anyone else, but it's been a struggle to stay hydrated and find enjoyable ways to exercise with temps as high as 107 here in Nebraska!

patzi 07-24-2012 06:10 PM

Had maintenance weigh in and stayed the same. Still 5 pounds under goal.

Patzi