3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   MRC Maintainers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/244228-mrc-maintainers.html)

patzi 09-23-2012 08:43 AM

Teacherlady...

Natalie, as you know I travel quite a bit for business and I always bring food with me of some sort just in case.. My latest comment was, oh, God, you are not still dieting.. I am at the point now, I just smile and ignore it.I was at a meeting, and I took the roll off the chicken , and just ate the chicken , lettuce tomato, and that was it. One made a comment, how can you do that, you sure don't need to lose any more weight. That is a waste of food. I reminded this person, I requested the bun be left off. All I said. Mumm is the word usually from me, as I become sick of all the negative comments. There are some positive ones,also. Balance is he key, it really is.. I allow myself things, but it is sensible, and if I gain, I just take it off.. I have been on a yo yo lately, but it is ok, as I am finally back to 5 pounds under goal.. When I splurge I splurge for quality items, not the junk that got me to MRC to lose the weight.

Gina.. You have a good attitude. The balance will come.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful weekend.

Patzi

bigdog 09-23-2012 10:44 AM

The best thing is to be in control and to me it's the key to balance in every aspect of your life.... Like eliminating negative non supportive people from your life (not really eliminating but staying away from or limited contact :-). ) we can also chose to not waste calories on less quality foods, drinks and desserts. This is TMI but I've eaten things not on plan thinking I really really want it and have spit it in the sink!!! After I realized.....hmmmm. Not so good and I dont want the calories!! And realizing too many carbs swell my stomach and make me feel like a slug!!! Protein rocks!! Ok iPad battery is almost out of juice and a boat ride is awaiting me Happy Sunday !!!

teacherlady79 09-23-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 4477104)
Teacherlady...

One made a comment, how can you do that, you sure don't need to lose any more weight. That is a waste of food.

This one just kills me. One thing I learned from my journey with MRC was that it ends up being a waste of food regardless--if I throw it away, it's money in the trash. If I eat it, it's money blown on diet programs later. I'd much rather just have it thrown away than feel like crap and have to pay for it later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 4477186)
This is TMI but I've eaten things not on plan thinking I really really want it and have spit it in the sink!!! After I realized.....hmmmm. Not so good and I dont want the calories!!

Bigdog, I've done this before, too!

patzi 09-26-2012 06:55 AM

I had maintenance weigh in yesterday and am at 5 pounds under goal. I will take that and run.. Have a tip for y'all if you have not heard of it..

Making a dessert and needed confectioner's sugar which I would never use. So, I took one cup of splenda and 1 tsp. of cornstarch,blended it real well in my magic bullet, but any small blender will do and there is your confectioner's sugar. Dessert came out perfect . After you blend it, let all settle in the
blender before opening. Keeps well in a glass jar. I found that when I used a cup of splenda,when done, it measured 1/2 cup of the conf. sugar. That is all I needed , so that was fine.

Patzi

nwcgina 09-26-2012 10:19 PM

Patzi-Thanks for the tip on the confectioners sugar. I seldom use it, but there are a few recipes that if I'm making it for me I'd like the substitution (if I'm making it for others and I don't really want to eat it...like the kids' bday cake...I'll go ahead and use the real stuff and just save my calories for rich chocolate).

I'm maintaining. For about a week I've been trying the just eating 3 meals, and I actually really like it. I actually also try to keep each meal around 500 calories. I am eating fewer total calories because I'm not always snacking. If I do get truly hungry between meals (like on workout days) I just make sure it's small and there is protein involved. Also, sometimes I eat part of my 500 calorie breakfast early and then have the other half a few hours later...just depends on my schedule. My maintenance eating should be around 1900, but my counselor and I both decided trying for around 1500 daily would be better, then one treat meal a week shouldn't cause long term gain. So far so good as far as maintaining. Originally I had wanted to get down a few more pounds, but it was causing all of my pants to be too baggy and I really don't want to buy new clothes again...I feel great where I am. And I know what I need to do to get down those few pounds if I want to get a little wiggle room for something like a wedding.

camaswa 09-26-2012 11:09 PM

That is great, Gina. I think i mentioned before that I am instinctively feeling I might like bigger meals as well. I haven't systematically done it, but this week I went back to eggs for breakfast (after burning out and switching to Greek yougurt, protien powder and fruit). I was amazed to realize that at 11:30 I was just then getting hungry. On the other breakfast I was sagging by 10, dispite the high protien. (I now think all protein is not the same) Now if I could nail a lunch that held me so well, I think I would be on a good track. I usually take a big salad with chicken and some feta cheese with olive oil. Mid-afternoon I need a bar or something. By the way, all, I have fallen for Quest bars, which I saw on a banner ad here on 3FC. They have few wierd ingredients, lots of fiber and lots of protein: look 'em up! They aren't easy to find but my Vitiman shop in the neighborhood carries them. You can order a sampler pack form the company as well

Anyway, the journey goes on, doesn't it? And Patzi is back down again! Yea!

This week I get my maintance calories- I have been busy and traveling and haven't had time to go in for two weeks. I am betting it will be around 1600 or so.

nwcgina 09-27-2012 01:53 PM

camaswa-I agree that not all proteins don't seem to hold me the same...same as not all carbs are the same (obviously). What if you added some quality, high fiber starch to that salad? I find I need a starch with my noon meal. I'll have to check out the quest bars.

camaswa 09-28-2012 03:20 PM

really???

I'm confused- I just got my much-anticipated maintenance calories. I am 5'8", I exercise regularly and currently have a RMR of 1435 yet they suggested I follow a 1200 calorie maintenance diet. My gosh, MetaBalance can be 1300, depending on what options you choose. So how can this be? My regular counselor was away and the one I saw could not give me a decent answer. Honestly, she taked in circles and i cant even quote what she said. I said that seemed awfully low so she gave me a 1500 plan. I am back to doubting whether these people really know what they are doing.

patzi 09-29-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaswa (Post 4482706)
I'm confused- I just got my much-anticipated maintenance calories. I am 5'8", I exercise regularly and currently have a RMR of 1435 yet they suggested I follow a 1200 calorie maintenance diet. My gosh, MetaBalance can be 1300, depending on what options you choose. So how can this be? My regular counselor was away and the one I saw could not give me a decent answer. Honestly, she taked in circles and i cant even quote what she said. I said that seemed awfully low so she gave me a 1500 plan. I am back to doubting whether these people really know what they are doing.

I never counted calories.. They seem to give most everyone, from what I have heard a 1200 calorie diet.. After stabilization, I just did my maintenance the way it was good for me.. My question to them was ,why did I never have to count calories while on weight loss challenge, and now on maintenance you want me to count calories. I just never did it, but that does not mean it is the right thing to do, it was good for me.. However, I never stopped keeping a daily journal. I log into fitness pal when I have the time to see how much of everything I am eating, but that is it .I keep a journal going for everything I eat, and when I gain, go back to see if I can find out why.. Lately, that has been a challenge. LOL.
Patzi

nwcgina 09-29-2012 10:09 PM

camaswa-I think there are a large # of counselors that don't know what they are doing. From what I can tell they generally put people on a lower maintenance # than what their bodies truly need for a few reasons. 1) they don't want you to gain weight back, and 2) when you shift to maintenance all of tend to relax a little more so we may easily eat a couple hundred extra calories. If your goal is 1200 but give yourself a little leeway, you still would be fine. I agree that for almost everyone on maintenance, 1200 is too low (unless you are very small framed and have a low activity level). Even 1500 for most women if they are active is too low. My "maintenance" level should be 1900...so my counselor suggested 1500 to give me a little wiggle room on days and prevent regain. I've tried counting calories, I've tried counting servings of different food groups, I've tried just journaling...I can honestly say I don't know which way is the best for me. I'm switching back to keeping calories in my fitness pal since I finally got an iphone. I can be a little more flexible with my eating...but I make sure I'm getting protein, fruits, and veggies. And I've switched to eating mainly just 3 times a day, sometimes a little snack. And I'm still playing around with what my calorie level should be (i.e. what wouldn't cause me to gain but also keeps me satisfied.) This past week I did about 1400 per day but allowing myself to eat approximately the # of calories I burned in a workout...so 1500 to 1600...I figure that keeps me motivated to exercises. That was what myfitnesspal recommended to lose a pound a week (I'm really okay with maintaining). No gain, felt satisfied (a little hungry at times) so going to up it just a bit. It's all a learning games, but I know I don't want to spend my life feeling restricted but at the same time finding that place where I am not so hungry/deprived that I feel miserable.

faerychic 09-30-2012 10:43 AM

camaswa - I am the same height as you 5'8" and when I started maintenance I was told to keep my calories between 1400-1500. Just my 2 cents here, but I would think with how active you are you could do the 1500 calorie menu. I suggest you make an appointment with your regular counselor and ask her to re-evaluate your calories for maintenance (I have even called another center when I doubted what the counselors were saying).

Tamikl 09-30-2012 02:03 PM

Hello ladies!!

Just a quick check in...Like Patzi, I really don't count calories, and that has had its ups and downs with me. When I was doing Fitness Pal regularly, it was a real eye opener for me....now I enter some days when I am concerned, but most days if I am home, I feel like I have a rough idea of how many I am consuming.

I am up 2lbs, down 2lbs...up 3lbs, down 1lb...and so it goes. I am still basically within my Maintenace area, but not a lot of wiggle room. For me, it is tougher to make little changes. I feel like I would be better off one way or the other...Green or Mainenance. I have experienced many times of eating a certain way one week with no gain, and similar the next with a gain. I don't get it.

Right now I have really backed of the protein drinks...rather I have increased my fiber drinks to 3/day and at my last WI, I was down 2lbs...that is with no other change in my Maintenance diet. If I did preconditioning with the fiber, I may have even better results, but haven't been that disciplined as yet.

Basically I totally behave at home...when I am away, very hard for me. So...still need more willpower!!!:dust: Especially with holidays approaching, etc...

I am noticing the absense of JenB...and hoping all is going well for her. Thank you all for the continued posts...I love that I can share this journey with others:) You are all an inspiration to me....

nwcgina 09-30-2012 02:56 PM

Like Tami said, I sometimes have a gain without really a reason (i.e. I've been eating/exercising the same way). This morning it was the opposite...a 3 lb loss for really no reason. Been doing everything pretty much the same. I'll take it.

patzi 10-01-2012 06:53 PM

I was just coming on to ask about Jen B and I see Tami mentioned it.. I sure hope all is ok with her.

I started on the fiber drinks, also, to see if I can put a stop to this up and down yoyo. I was doing so well for a year and a half,but it is what it is..

I have to stay off the protein meal replacement shakes.. I have been taking them when I am away at business, but not anymore. I gain with them. They may have too much sugar for me, who knows. I was on one protein drink a day and one creamy at night.. I am going to cut out the one protein drink and do the 4 fiber instead and see how that goes..

It is good to have a maintenance forum..

Hope y'all have a good week weigh in wise.

Patzi

patzi 10-01-2012 07:11 PM

Forgot to ask... Re: Fiber Drinks.. Has anyone found any that were compatible to MRC, as Diet Direct, etc?

Thanks
Patzi

JenB72 10-03-2012 02:58 PM

Since Tami & Patzi asked, here I am. I'm not dead, I promise. ;)

I felt close to it though. It's been a VERY rough 2 months (has it been that long)? It all happened quite suddenly. I was getting ready to go WI one day when my mom called and she was completely incoherent and crying. NOT like my mom, whatsoever. Earlier in the week she had been hit on the head by the back door of an SUV. After finally getting to her and rushing her to the ER, it turned out she had a brain hemmorage. She was fortunate that she didn't need surgery, but it scared the heck out of us and she's finally back to normal. Then came vacation, a sick child, and then my health took a hit.

At the ripe old age of 40, I was diagnosed with the shingles. Basically the doctor said between work, taking care of the munchkin, and training for a half marathon, I stressed myself into it. I'm still not over either but better. I just had to be put on a second round of anti-viral medication on Monday because I had a few more spots pop up, but it has stopped it in its tracks. I was also on steroids up until last night. If you've ever been on Prednisone, you know what that crap can do to you. One week my wedding rings were loose when I was in the shower and I was having to be careful with them. The next week I had to take them off because my fingers had swollen so bad. I tried and tried to get back to my green menu to no avail. That stuff left me STARVING all the time. Monday I tried and did my normal green menu breakfast, 2 protein drinks before lunch and 50 oz. of water. My stomach was growling by 11 AM and making me sick. I haven't touched a scale in weeks because I know it's bad. I'm still in my size 6 jeans but they are tight. I know that once the steroids work their way out of my system and the fluid retention goes down that will change, but I hate it right now.

As if that wasn't enough, I was diagnosed with bronchitis last week. So, on top of the other stuff I'm taking, I'm also on antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine (God bless the person that combined those two ;) ). A week later, my cough isn't getting much better but at least I can function now.

Today has been my first good day on the green menu. I went into the center last week and bought my supplies and will go in on Saturday to WI and face the music. Round 2, here we go!

I have missed you all and hope you are all doing well!

teacherlady79 10-03-2012 10:24 PM

OMG, Jen, that's terrible.

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with so much, and especially for the pain your own health is putting you through (my husband's mom had shingles, and it was extremely painful for her).

Prednisone is terrible--not only did I retain water and eat everything in sight the one time I was on it (only for 2 weeks, thank God!), it also made me extremely irritable and emotional. :(

Get better soon--I"ll say a prayer for you.

JenB72 10-04-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks, Natalie! I did great yesterday and stayed completely on track. I'm also doing great today too. It feels nice being back in control after feeling literally helpless for so long. :)

patzi 10-04-2012 07:32 PM

Jen...
So good to hear from you.. You will be in my prayers and thoughts.
Patzi

nwcgina 10-04-2012 10:58 PM

Oh Jen! Nothing like life hitting you in the teeth. Hang in there...you're right, prednisone causes awful water retention...but once it fully clears your system hopefully you feel better.

JenB72 10-05-2012 09:46 AM

Thanks, ladies! 2 days OP and today is starting off right. Woohoo! I'll get back there. It may take a little time, but I will. I did it once and I'll do it again. ;)

nwcgina 10-06-2012 08:32 AM

Maintained for another week. For the second week in a row I tracked calories. This week I bumped it up to 1650. I think I'll hang out there for a while. There were some days I went over the calories (and a day or two under). I felt satisfied and has some flexibility, but also didn't have license to eat everything. I'm also doing 4-5 days of workouts...short and intense rather than the long stuff. My body seems to like that better (i.e. my knees and hips don't hurt). We're in the process of selling a house and moving and still have 2 more weeks of my busy season for work...so anything that is time saving is awesome.

JenB72 10-06-2012 08:53 PM

Great job, Gina!!!! Way to go!

patzi 10-07-2012 09:37 AM

Congrats Gina.. Great job..

I have been experimenting with the Fulfill Mixed Fruit Drink( fiber) and it does stop cravings for a few hours. This is something new , cravings.. I stopped having bad cravings a long time ago.. Guess body changes from time to time, and we have to change with it.. One of my favorite drinks in afternoon is
Lacroix sparkling water, a HNS and a fiber drink mixed in.. This keeps me full till dinnertime.. Who said maintenance was not a challenge? But, oh, so worth it.. I am trying to keep a steady maitenance with 5 pounds under goa, with the holidays coming up.

Wishing y'all a great weekend.

Patzi

teacherlady79 10-08-2012 10:17 PM

I haven't necessarily been having cravings, but I've definitely found myself with the munchies more frequently in the last couple of months. I am wondering if it's because my stomach/body is more used to the amount of food I'm eating now, whereas it felt like too much food when I started maintenance...

I've been trying to limit myself to snacks only when I actually feel hunger; when I feel like I want to munch or am having a craving, I've found that gum or a hard candy (low-cal/sugar) usually does the trick for the most part.

I was grocery shopping the other day and walked past the halloween candy aisle, and when I saw the candy corn/pumpkins my mouth literally started watering! Old habits die hard, I guess. So interesting how incredibly trained our brains and bodies can be, even after spending 2 years trying to re-train them to better habits. :s

nwcgina 10-10-2012 08:35 PM

I've been an at home client and today went and met my counselor for the first time. It's been about 11 months since I first started MRC and only have a month left on my at home contract so decided to go meet her...(I wanted to say thank you but I forgot to tell her). She had me to a tanita which showed I "should" lose 10 more pounds. She asked if I wanted to and I told her I was really okay where I was...I really am. I don't want to have to buy more clothes and I'm 25 pounds lighter than even my lightest weight since junior high. She did suggest the MRC-6 since I said my only complaint was a little belly pooch. So I said I'd try it (I should have just spend the money on some spanx:)

bigdog 10-10-2012 08:54 PM

Gina---That is so funny! Re the spanx :) You should have said, "I love the way I look and feel and you should be congratulating me" and sashayed your skinny bu++ right out of there!!! LOL

nwcgina 10-10-2012 10:33 PM

bigdog-if I thought she was being pushy or sales-ey I probably would have scooted right on out. She's been pretty amazing for 11 months and has never pushed anything (I only ever bought the drinks and bars)...unlike other horror stories I've heard. She's even told me where I could find similar supplements at Walmart/CVS/etc.

Both her and the manager were super excited to meet me (the way it sounds most at-home clients don't do so well...the being there in person and weighing it definitely would be more motivating...for me paying out the $$ was enough to keep me going). If it helps flatten the pooch a bit, great. If it doesn't, I've wasted $35 on worse things (as in the drive through of many a fast food restaurant).

bigdog 10-10-2012 11:27 PM

Gina, that's great! My girlfriend did the at home program because she travels so much in her job and did great and has kept the weight off for over a year now :)

nwcgina 10-11-2012 12:56 PM

That's awesome to hear of more people keeping it off...especially a fellow at homer:) Weight loss is hard regardless of how we do it and what our support system looks like...same with maintenance. It is just hard!

bigdog 10-11-2012 01:19 PM

Gina. You are right re maintenance. It's hard! I still loosely follow the plan but need to get on board and lose these pounds I've gained. Scared to get on scales for sure!! My clothes are tight but am glad I can still get in new clothes ! In the past month I've quit my job and am job searching. Had to put our eldest puppy (16 yrs old) down :(, we are taking care of my elderly in laws and mum in law is in hospital now w dislocated hip. Been touring assisted living facilities, hmmmmm. Lets see what else can happen? Other than that went on a great vacation to Florida before all that happened. My husband adores me :), I have some good job prospects, my other two puppies are doing well....and I have eggs salad. Veggies, Greek yogurt, my choc truffle protein powder, fish, fruit so all good!!!! Maybe I'll get up the nerve to step on the scale next week!

lovetofishandrun 10-11-2012 08:40 PM

Lost 1.5 lbs. while on vaca in DC - guess it was all of the walking and climbing stairs. This is my last week on stabilization. I do enjoy reading how all of you are handling stabilization/maintenance. Good luck to all.

patzi 10-13-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetofishandrun (Post 4495283)
Lost 1.5 lbs. while on vaca in DC - guess it was all of the walking and climbing stairs. This is my last week on stabilization. I do enjoy reading how all of you are handling stabilization/maintenance. Good luck to all.

That is great losing that much while on vacation.. Be proud of yourself on that one.

Wishing y'all a great weekend.
Patzi

teacherlady79 10-13-2012 04:30 PM

Good news, all!

It's not totally weight-related, but I think I've mentioned before that I started my weight loss journey in the hopes of getting healthy and overcoming some fertility issues--which worked, except then we found out that my husband has fertility issues as well. :( Anyway, we've been in kind of a waiting pattern for almost 10 months now, dealing with testing, diagnosing, problem-solving, etc. But this week I start the medications and monitoring leading up to IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination) which will greatly increase our chances of getting pregnant (my sister has 2 beautiful boys as a result of her IUIs). So, basically I'm just excited to feel like we're finally moving forward!

Funny story, though... the clinic had scanned in my driver's license when I first started going there last December (before I got a new photo & ID after my weight loss), so the techs thought they had called the wrong person back at first when I came for my appointment yesterday, because I looked so different from my old driver's license photo that comes up when they bring up my records. :dizzy: Lots of compliments all around, though, once they figured out it was because I lost 110 lbs! Made me feel really good. :D

nwcgina 10-13-2012 07:53 PM

teacherlady-that's awesome that you look so different from your old ID. And best wishes on the IUI.

camaswa 10-22-2012 07:04 PM

Buena sere, ladies! I am back from two weeks in Italy, the second of which was a hands-on culinary tour to bakeries, cheesemakers, wineries, salami makers. OMG. It was simply outrageous. And if you think you are gonna eat low-carb in Italy, Well... it ain't so. I suppose if it was just my husband and myself, being moderate would have been easier to manage but as part of a group both weeks, it wasn't. They really do eat pasta everyday! There were days I didn't get a single fruit or vegetable - it was all starch, fat, meat. Oh, I forgot sugar and wine. I actually felt sick a couple times. And we didn't walk nearly as much as I would have on my own - way too much time on busses.

But it was an unforgettable trip. So beautiful and the artisans were so happy to welcome us into their kitchens. They each prepared lunch for us,which was always two hours with course after course.

For once I am afraid to face the scales. I sensed my pants being quite tight and i did measure my waistline last night when I got home: 2 inches! Even though I don't feel great on it, I'm doing the green menu till wiegh-in on Friday. That's the best I can do. Lots of water too. After 10+ hours in economy class, I'm surely holding a lot of fluid. My feet felt like lead when we got off that plane.

But there I go complaining again. It was Fabulous! I just didn't have a bit of restraint. Today is a new day. I'll be posting a lot for a while! I will need the support! and wasn't I glad to be starting that trip at 162 rather than 185, which was what I wieghed the last time I went to Europe!

nwcgina 10-22-2012 10:55 PM

camaswa-the trip sounds simply divine and worth the pain of going back to the green plan for a while.

patzi 10-23-2012 12:14 PM

Need a maintenance pumpkin dessert recipe if anyone has one .
Thanks
Patzi

patzi 10-23-2012 12:30 PM

Weighed in and lost 1 1/2 pound , making me 6 pounds under goal. I am trying to lose a couple of more pounds before holiday parties start.. Me losing that much weight is unheard of, but I will take it gratefully.

Patzi

brainsgirl 10-23-2012 04:40 PM

WOW patzi! Do anything different?