Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 1.75" (that 3/4 inch is important!)

Default Caffeine

Can anyone tell me why we have to completely cut out caffeine? My grandma is a nurse and said a little caffeine is actually ok. It's a natural diurectic. I drink oolong tea and it has caffeine in it and as of now I don't think I plan on giving it up. Maybe y'all can tell me what some of your consultants have told you is the reason for banishing all caffeine? I guess I just don't see the problem with having it in moderation. But I def. have a open mind if someone can tell me why it's a no-no.
SailorsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

Not sure why but thought I'd say that I start every day with a cup of black coffee and it hasn't hurt a thing so far...
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #3  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I think it's to even out your water weight so there aren't as many ups and downs, and I also think it might have something to do with your metabolism, but I'm not sure exactly what.

I have the occasional diet coke, and it hasn't given me any problems. I wouldnt' think your tea would be an issue, either. Just make sure you get in all your water, and you'll be fine. I only drink diet coke in addition to my water, so most of the time, I don't even want it, and I'm an addict normally. I have maybe one a week or one every other week, but I can never tell that there's a stall in weight loss.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #4  

Thanks so much for the input! I love the insight and quick responses from you ladies!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 179.5/164.2/125

Height: 5'4"

Great questions, I was wondering the same thing myself!!
crystalyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #6  

Unfortunately I'm a repeat-offender. But my first time I lost my weight and was totally successful with the program. I never gave up my diet mt dew.

They say because it's a stimulant, that it may stimulate appetite. I don't buy that however. I think it's because some of their products have caffeine in them and if you you take them, you might get too much.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #7  
Started Precon 6/29/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmd27 View Post
Unfortunately I'm a repeat-offender. But my first time I lost my weight and was totally successful with the program. I never gave up my diet mt dew.

They say because it's a stimulant, that it may stimulate appetite. I don't buy that however. I think it's because some of their products have caffeine in them and if you you take them, you might get too much.
You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't like to use their supplements because some of them seem a little sketchy. I know some diet drinks also have sodium, but most of the time it's really not that much and wouldnt' cause a problem unless you were drinking them all day, and whose stomach can hold all that plus all the water you have to drink?

I don't know if I buy the appetite stimulant, either. I've never noticed that when I've had the occasional diet coke. If I eat all my food that's OP, I don't get hungry anyhow.

I'm glad this came up. I won't feel so guilty if I go to McD's for a diet coke every now and again. If my husband goes somewhere for fast food or something, it really is nice to at least be able to get a diet drink without feeling the cheating guilt.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

An MRC counselor told me that if your body uses caffeine to fuel your body, then it will be less inclined to burn fat for energy.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the jest of it.

I too have an occasional bit of diet coke when I need it. I'm sensitive to caffeine so I only have a small fountain one from McDonald's.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #9  

[QUOTE=tkdtara84;3961618]You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't like to use their supplements because some of them seem a little sketchy. I know some diet drinks also have sodium, but most of the time it's really not that much and wouldnt' cause a problem unless you were drinking them all day, and whose stomach can hold all that plus all the water you have to drink?

Yeah tkdtara, I'm with you on the supplements. If my body needed that stuff or if there was truly benefit, my doctor would have me on it. I never took any of their supplements, and saw no difference compared to those I knew who were taking them.

Sometimes you just have to use common sense. The consultants are paid hourly employees who make a commission on. sales. They have no special training other than their "MRC" job training (just like anyone gets trained for a new job). They sell the products they are urged to sell and recommend doses that your body can't even absorb. There are some great consultants, and there are some who say the most outrageous things! (one of my pet peeves is the plain water thing ... seriously, when water enters your mouth, it's in your stomach in a matter of seconds mixed with all of the acid and food that's in your stomach, squeezing lemon or lime into your water isn't going to do anything) Just use your own common sense ... and if you have questions, ask your personal physician. If there was a magic "weight loss" drug available, it would be a prescription and the drug companies would be making a fortune on it. If you seriously feel that something you're taking is helping you, then keep taking it.

Get the good things you can from the center and your consultant, but remember, YOU are the expert on your own body....there is no miracle cure -- it's a lot of hard work and dedication. I know the food part of this program works --- I've done it (and of course, now I'm doing it again --- but only because I chose not to make good food choices...that's no one's fault but mine). Any weight loss program will work for you, if you stick to it, I just happen to like the basics of this one, and the fact that you see pretty quick results in the beginning.

Wow .... that was way more than I intended to write -- sorry!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #10  
Started Precon 6/29/11

[QUOTE=dkmd27;3962883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtara84 View Post
You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't like to use their supplements because some of them seem a little sketchy. I know some diet drinks also have sodium, but most of the time it's really not that much and wouldnt' cause a problem unless you were drinking them all day, and whose stomach can hold all that plus all the water you have to drink?

Yeah tkdtara, I'm with you on the supplements. If my body needed that stuff or if there was truly benefit, my doctor would have me on it. I never took any of their supplements, and saw no difference compared to those I knew who were taking them.

Sometimes you just have to use common sense. The consultants are paid hourly employees who make a commission on. sales. They have no special training other than their "MRC" job training (just like anyone gets trained for a new job). They sell the products they are urged to sell and recommend doses that your body can't even absorb. There are some great consultants, and there are some who say the most outrageous things! (one of my pet peeves is the plain water thing ... seriously, when water enters your mouth, it's in your stomach in a matter of seconds mixed with all of the acid and food that's in your stomach, squeezing lemon or lime into your water isn't going to do anything) Just use your own common sense ... and if you have questions, ask your personal physician. If there was a magic "weight loss" drug available, it would be a prescription and the drug companies would be making a fortune on it. If you seriously feel that something you're taking is helping you, then keep taking it.

Get the good things you can from the center and your consultant, but remember, YOU are the expert on your own body....there is no miracle cure -- it's a lot of hard work and dedication. I know the food part of this program works --- I've done it (and of course, now I'm doing it again --- but only because I chose not to make good food choices...that's no one's fault but mine). Any weight loss program will work for you, if you stick to it, I just happen to like the basics of this one, and the fact that you see pretty quick results in the beginning.

Wow .... that was way more than I intended to write -- sorry!
+1! I agree with everything you said. It's often said that this program is so expensive...but it's not that bad if you don't buy the supplements. When I did this before, I had almost the same (within 5 lbs.) results as my mom, who was taking a lot of their stuff all the way through. She was quite a bit heavier than me, so presumably she should have lost weight faster anyhow, but she didn't. If a person wants to take them, then by all means, take them, but I personally think they don't do much anyhow, so why risk potential side effects from stuff you don't know anything about?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #11  

I totally agree about taking all the supps. I did take a bunch of them my first go around. But it was all I could do to get them down and keep them down when I took them in the mornings. Sometimes I would have to take them in shifts. Haha. Thanks Tara and tkmd for helping a newbie out.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #12  
Tactless but Honest :)

S/C/G: 188/178.6/140

Height: 5'4''

I completely agree about the supplements but what about the drinks? I cant even come close to affording to buy anything right now but started eating more salad and fruit and less sugar...I think. I do love my coffee though....good lord do I love my coffee. I dunno..I am also going to be walking/jogging at least 4 times per week. It's a fabulous break from my 3 kids. I'm rambling....oh yeah...the drinks....any advice?
DZackery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #13  

DZackery, go check out my post 'HNS alternative'. I talk about an option that I think is much more cost effective. There really isn't anything you can do to replace the low amount of calories but high amount of protein that is in the shakes. And the shakes are really the 'secret weapon' of this diet because the high amounts of protein in them keeps you full and if you workout it helps your body rebuild your muscles.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #14  
Tactless but Honest :)

S/C/G: 188/178.6/140

Height: 5'4''

Actually I did see your post...after I posted this of course. I am going to keep it in mind for when I have an extra $25. Unfortunately right now isnt that time. I appreciate the info.
DZackery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156 / 150 / 125

Height: 5"1

The ladies at my MRC said that drinking caffeine sparks other cravings throughout the day, like sugar and salty stuff. I don't know how true that is, but I know that I still have to have my cup of coffee in the mornings. I do drink Diet Dr Pepper sometimes though, and I've noticed when I don't drink it, I crave a lot less carbs, but when I do drink it, I want carbs + more and more Diet DP. Not to mention, after years and 100s of dollars spent going to the dermatologist, cutting out Cokes has been the BEST thing EVER for my skin. (Oh ya, I'm only 19 so acne is a huge deal for me!)

I did drink quite a bit more coffee last week, just to see how I would handle it and I GAINED weight that week! That could also be because I took bites of stuff off plan here and there, but I could possibly have been craving that stuff because of the amounts of coffee.

I was also bad and drank about a 32 oz DDP every day! And it just left me wanting more. When my skin started breaking out, I decided to stop and I only plan on drinking them occasionally from here on out.

SOOooo, if that helps answer any questions about coffee/cokes/caffeine, I'm no expert, but that's been my experience!
HappyHallie is offline   Reply With Quote