Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

Default Need a kick in the pants

Hi everyone,

I started program last February, lost 60-70 lbs and stopped about 15 lbs shy of my goal because of some health concerns with my liver. I stopped program and maintained really well through about January and i've put back on about 8 lbs, so I want to turn this thing around and finish before 8 is 15. In addition, I got engaged in January and the wedding is set for October - so you would think that would be all the motivation I need, but I'm having a REALLY hard time getting my head back in the game.

I feel like I went so long (10 months) without any treats or coffee and now I don't want to give them up. Any recommendations on how to restart? I'm afraid I don't have quite the same motivation I had when I originally began.

Thanks! Looking forward to being back on the board!
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #2  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalAug2010 View Post
Hi everyone,

I started program last February, lost 60-70 lbs and stopped about 15 lbs shy of my goal because of some health concerns with my liver. I stopped program and maintained really well through about January and i've put back on about 8 lbs, so I want to turn this thing around and finish before 8 is 15. In addition, I got engaged in January and the wedding is set for October - so you would think that would be all the motivation I need, but I'm having a REALLY hard time getting my head back in the game.

I feel like I went so long (10 months) without any treats or coffee and now I don't want to give them up. Any recommendations on how to restart? I'm afraid I don't have quite the same motivation I had when I originally began.

Thanks! Looking forward to being back on the board!
Good to see you again! I remember you from when I started on the boards back in September.

I understand what you mean about having a hard time getting your head in the game. Especially with a wedding coming up--I thought that would motivate me, too, when I was engaged in 08-09, but it didn't. I was so focused on wedding planning, etc., that my weight and health got put on the back burner. Now that I want to start trying for a family--and know that I need to lose weight or face complications, I'm super-motivated.

I would say to get your thinking down on paper. Why is it important to you to lose this weight now? What do you hope to gain from this? And, how do you plan to reward yourself? I think, especially, what helped me was writing a list of all the things I wanted/wanted to do but couldn't as long as I stayed heavy. Realizing everything I was going to miss out on was a motivator for me.

Also, I've had to keep reminding myself that while the day-to-day changes are forever, it's not like I can NEVER have any of those yummy things again. Just not right now, and not until I get to my goal weight. I literally cried in the aisle in front of the Edy's girl scout cookie ice cream (which only comes out once a year), but I reminded myself that I may not be able to have it as soon as the diet is over, I can have a bite of it next year. The deprivation isn't forever.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/161/155

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back! I, too, remember you. I also remember reading your post and that gave me encouragement and hope. Perhaps if you read them again, that might do it for you.
But, I know it's hard getting in the game again and staying in the game. Once you get to goal, you want to eat all those forbidden foods but that just can't happen anymore, or at least, it must be done in moteration.
Everyone is here for you. You had very good initial progress. You can "stay the course."
thinknthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/178.8/155

GoalAug2010, I hear ya on getting your head back int he game. I too am in the same boat, I just rejoined and am having serious trouble keeping with the motivation and giving up all the yummy baked goods I had been eating and baking. I sadly have had to give up my favorite TV show because of my lack of will power, Cake Boss All I want when I watch that show is to scarf down a gianormous piece of cake covered in frosting! But I have decided that for the duration of my program time, the next 10 weeks, I will not watch Cake Boss or read any baking books or magazines, to resist the temptation. I am however going to create some recipes to curb my need to bake stuff. I love to bake and it is so hard to give that up, even briefly, but this is for our health right? and Teacherlady is right, its not forever, its temporary and when the weight is gone, we will have learned how to eat those goodies in moderation. I don't know about you ladies but I personally have a problem with the stopping. I have one piece of cake or pie or a cookie and I want the whole thing! I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth!

Teacherlady - Girlscout Ice cream is the devils work, as are Girl Scout cookies! I live in Savannah, the literal home of Girl Scouts, so they are EVERYWHERE!!! AHHHHHH!!!
emilyszynaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/178.8/155

Thinknthin where in Georgia are you? Anywhere near Savannah? I also see we have the same goals!!! Go 155!!!!
emilyszynaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

There are three things I do to stay motivated.

First, I consider what a short time 17 weeks is. I think about what I was doing 17 weeks ago to remind myself what a short period of time that actually is. 17 weeks ago was the middle of November.

Second, I have a little notebook where I write down inspiring things as I read/hear them here and elsewhere. I read them every morning, night, and anytime I feel unmotivated or a craving comes on.

Here are some of them:

You don’t drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there. Get back up and finish what you started.

"Hunger and cravings always pass. I can make them go away by focusing my attention on something else."

"I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, or I can be thinner. I can't have it both ways."

Extra food will always go to waste -- either in the trash or on my body.

Craving tolerence is a muscle that gets stronger the more I use it.

I have the ability to accomplish any task I set my mind to with ease and comfort.

I have infinite patience when it comes to fulfilling my destiny.

I have access to unlimited assistance. My strength comes from my connection to my Source of being. I can accomplish anything I put my mind to because I know I am never alone.

...Third, I come here! :-)
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

All of the above advice is just what I would say. The other thing is to start checking here with us regularly. I couldn't have lost or maintained these 4 months without this board. The accountability is amazing!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/190/155

It is so nice to get on this board and find that I am not the only one! I have been struggling with "gettin my head in the game" this time around, and have posted those very words on other threads! I love the advice of Mandiana and will be writing some of the quotes to post around my classroom to keep me "in the game!"
momma2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #9  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Getting back in the game also. Lost 70 lbs between 8/09 to 1/10. And just since this Christmas 2010, have put a bunch back on. So BEFORE I totally put it ALL back on, I am getting back in the game. My start weight is at 210 as of this morning. Wanna get it off before spring is here so I can enjoy getting out to walk with my dog and just enjoy doing fun stuff! So goalAug2010, wishing you all the best as I am right there with you.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 219/161/155

Emily- I live in Richmond Hill. I go to the center in Savannah. I understand that they go to Hinesville on Thursdays.
Yeah 155!
thinknthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 279/256.5/150

Height: 5' 6"

The advice below sounds great! I really loved the quotes posted by mandiana and would echo the suggetion to become active here and let us know what's going on . . . it is always helps to know that you are not in this thing alone and we are cheering you on!

Mariah
momoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 5"

I was exactly where you were a month ago. I think get started is half the battle right there. Once I made the decision and went into my local center, knowing I was going to be held accountable was a motivating factor and one that I needed. When I knew no one would be checking my food sheets, it made it a lot easier to stray. Also, as others have said, this board has been my saving grace. The support is wonderful and it's nice to have others that know exactly what you are going through and going through it themselves.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

@ MANDIANA

THANK YOU. Here's what happened. I am doing this solo. I am currently on Day 17. I did Day1-14 BEAUTIFULLY. I had some minor mistakes, but overall, I displayed a lot of discipline. Then came Day 15 - went out and drank some wine and malibu, trying to limit the calories...then the following day - did pretty good.

THEN CAME MONDAY! My kids were sick - didn't go to work. I ate like there was no tomorrow. I tracked my calories - 3,000 calories. I ate a full pint of ice cream. I screwed UP. I confessed it yesterday to my boyfriend, who is my support person. He gave me a lecture about sabotage - he's right. I lose about 5 lbs and then I regain. I'm in a vicious cycle.

So, I am back in the game today, but really needed this encouragement. BADLY.

Thanks! THANKS THANKS! I'm ready to quit this defeating behavior and make some progress.

Joy
discoverjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 279/256.5/150

Height: 5' 6"

Joy - Bad days happen and sick kids make things complicated, but today is a new day and it's time to get back on plan immedately!

Also get rid of (throw away - not consume) any food that is not on plan that is a temptation for you. I do have a husband and kids and I did keep some of their favorites in the house, but I chose foods that do not tempt me (pasta, chip flavors I don't care for, etc). Also, I do keep hot chocolate and they have that when I have the hot chocolate supplement (and I plan on doing the same with chocolate pudding) but there will be no other chocolate in this house until I am done - too tempting (and definately no icecream).

You can do this and it is worth the effort!

Mariah
momoffour is offline   Reply With Quote