Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

Default Motivating Others

I've been on MRC now for about 5 months making steady progress. I'm not very close to my ultimate goal weight, but my body is so radically different than it was when I started, I can't wait to get to the end and see how it turns out.

For the first couple months of plan, I spent a lot of energy explaining what it is I was doing to the people around me and now it's really starting to pay off. Not only am I down 45 lbs, but the people around me have been motivated to do more for themselves.

In the last couple months, my sister and my mom have both gone on diets together, the first in years for one of them, and have each lost close to 20 lbs. My mom has always had various health problems and never did much excercise or ate very many vegetables. But tonight when I called, my dad said she's been exclusively eating chicken + salads and was out for a walk. I was shocked - and elated. Another friend of mine has recently gotten the motivation to tackle her baby weight and many of my coworkers work out more, drink more water and eat out less than they did before!

Of course these folks all had to take these steps themselves, but I've heard from all of them that I've been a motivating factor in their change of choices. Having me around has been a reminder to them to take care of themselves, to drink more water and above all else, that losing stubborn weight is completely achievable.

So I wanted to remind all of you to not be shy or ashamed about the diet you're on. Talk to people about what it is that you're doing, it's not shameful that you have to be on a diet, it's impressive that you're owning up to it and tackling it head on. By talking and leading by example to the people in our lives, we're encouraging another circle of people to prioritize their health, which is one of the best things we can do for each other.
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #2  
Started program June 2010

Very nicely put. Thank you for your insight!
Junie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185 / 165 / 135

Height: 5' 4"

i very much appreciate what you said. Thanks!
jetperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #4  
Skinny for Scuba!

S/C/G: 178/149/135

Height: 5'1"

GoalAug2010, I have to tell you that I started on this journey after watching my mom lose 100 lbs - she did it via lapband because she was quite obese and dieting wasn't working for her, but it sure did kick a light on for me to see her drop the weight regardless of her method. She's 62, and I knew I couldn't spend anymore time on the same path she had been walking - putting on 5-10 lbs or more per year and not looking after myself.

So yes - your awesome loss definitely motivates others to make positive changes in their own lives!
guinevere75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I agree GoalAug. There are 4 of us doing MRC at my work now. I was the third to start. It's hard not to be inspired when you see the results.
namaste1969 is offline   Reply With Quote