3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   what's your plan of attack for thanksgiving? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/185100-whats-your-plan-attack-thanksgiving.html)

leahruthie 10-26-2009 02:48 PM

what's your plan of attack for thanksgiving?

hi all! it's almost november, which means thanksgiving is just around the corner. for most of us, this will be our first time facing down a major food holiday while trying to eat OP. my question is this: how do you plan to make it through the holiday in one piece? :dizzy:

i know someone (genell? lori? sorry, i can't remember) mentioned doing MQ before and after thanksgiving, which seems like a pretty smart idea. are there any other ideas? does anyone have any surprisingly healthy thanksgiving recipes?

i'm lucky because this year we'll be headed to my family's thanksgiving instead of josh's (we alternate each year), and my mom (who is also on a weight loss journey via weight watchers) is always careful to lighten up traditional recipes or bring creative salads for us to enjoy, so it wouldn't be as bad as it would be if josh and i were headed for his family--where the sweet potato casserole and tons of pies abound! so basically, my plan is to load up on whatever my mom and i bring and to eat just plain white-meat turkey with no gravy (which is actually no problem for me because that's how i usually roll--i don't like gravy!!).

your turn! what's your PLAN OF ATTACK?!!

TeresaG 10-26-2009 04:19 PM

I too have been thinking of these next couple of months trying to stay op, yet getting over the feeling of being deprived.

I'm kind of like you in that we will be going to Steve's parents, where the fixings aren't quite as abundant or calorie enriched. I usually make a sweet potatoe dish to take, but I will make something different this year. If our plans stay as this, my biggest temptation would be dessert. Most days I can say no without a problem.

I did like Genell's plan of mq before and after. If dinner plans change I might adopt her idea.

Has anyone here gone through holidays while OP?

nepeanut 10-26-2009 04:52 PM

Great idea for a thread, I'm anxious to hear our senior members ideas.

We will be going to my parents and my mom is also very conscience of what we're eating. Also this is the first year my sister is dealing with a gluten allergy, so, there won't be a lot of tempting homemade rolls for either of us. That's a good thing.

I'd love some ideas of things to make and take that everyone would enjoy.

porchmom84 10-26-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahruthie (Post 2987721)
hi all! it's almost november, which means thanksgiving is just around the corner. for most of us, this will be our first time facing down a major food holiday while trying to eat OP. my question is this: how do you plan to make it through the holiday in one piece? :dizzy:

i know someone (genell? lori? sorry, i can't remember) mentioned doing MQ before and after thanksgiving, which seems like a pretty smart idea. are there any other ideas? does anyone have any surprisingly healthy thanksgiving recipes?

i'm lucky because this year we'll be headed to my family's thanksgiving instead of josh's (we alternate each year), and my mom (who is also on a weight loss journey via weight watchers) is always careful to lighten up traditional recipes or bring creative salads for us to enjoy, so it wouldn't be as bad as it would be if josh and i were headed for his family--where the sweet potato casserole and tons of pies abound! so basically, my plan is to load up on whatever my mom and i bring and to eat just plain white-meat turkey with no gravy (which is actually no problem for me because that's how i usually roll--i don't like gravy!!).

your turn! what's your PLAN OF ATTACK?!!

Please tell me what MQ is.

Hvnlymzic 10-26-2009 05:35 PM

When I'm in the center this week I need to look back at my chart from the last Thanksgiving I was on plan (thanksgiving 2007) and see if I lost weight the week of Thanksgiving.

My plan of action was to eat a small portion of whatever I wanted...that including sweet potato, stuffing, pie, etc etc etc... and I mean super small portion of everything except white turkey (probably had just a taste of dark meat) and veggies and one roll...carbs are a downfall for me. I figure I have to have Thanksgiving meals after I'm off plan too and they aren't going to change for me, so I had better learn to adjust to them.

I'll let you know about my results from last year.

Kae 10-26-2009 05:43 PM

Thanksgiving at my Mom's house is off-the-charts fattening... so, naturally, I have started giving this some thought. Stuffing is really my favorite thing so I think I will allow myself a little turkey and stuffing and then make myself some asparagus and salad to go with it. I'll be skipping dessert and sticking with water.

porchmom84 10-26-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hvnlymzic (Post 2987979)
When I'm in the center this week I need to look back at my chart from the last Thanksgiving I was on plan (thanksgiving 2007) and see if I lost weight the week of Thanksgiving.

My plan of action was to eat a small portion of whatever I wanted...that including sweet potato, stuffing, pie, etc etc etc... and I mean super small portion of everything except white turkey (probably had just a taste of dark meat) and veggies and one roll...carbs are a downfall for me. I figure I have to have Thanksgiving meals after I'm off plan too and they aren't going to change for me, so I had better learn to adjust to them.

I'll let you know about my results from last year.

This is so helpful. Please define "super small" so I can start implanting that thought... I LOVE pie and rolls and don't want to give that up....can understand increasing the protein a lot through the turkey and bringing my own veggies maybe.....

Pcherr001 10-27-2009 01:20 AM

So maybe my connections class wasnt a waste. the lady said dont deprive your self, but dont take more than 2 bites. There really is no need. My plan is to drink LOTS of water and just take 2 bites of everything I love and load up on the turkey breast. And not to have leftovers the entire week strictly program the day before and after. We can do it!!!

E4FEwife 10-27-2009 07:28 AM

Make yourself some off the MRC cheesecake for dessert, it's part of the program but not for dinnertime, you'll get something sweet, that looks like pie/dessert and won't feel quite so deprived. Another cjoice would be to crush some melba toast "crust" from the cheesecake recipe on the bottom of a dish and top it with steamed apples tossed with cinnamon & splenda.

GWE140 10-27-2009 09:10 AM

Yes it was me the culprit - I will do MQ the week of Thanksgiving and have a normal meal with my family Thanksgiving day, of course I will limit the servings and will basically taste everything but really eat the turkey - taste means 2 to 3 small bites...my goal is not to feel deprived and to enjoy our tradition but keep smart about it, once I get to maintenance this is exactly what I will need to do - to learn how "to have my cake and eat it too" without weight gain...its all about planning. Good luck...

Genell

PS - I will also increase my water this week to help with the extra salt intake!

noahsmama 10-27-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWE140 (Post 2988688)
Yes it was me the culprit - I will do MQ the week off Thanksgiving and have a normal meal with my family Thanksgiving day, of course I will limit the servings and will basically taste everything but really eat the turkey - taste means 2 to 3 small bites...my goal is not to feel deprived and to enjoy our tradition but keep smart about it, once I get to maintenance this is exactly what I will need to do - to learn how "to have my cake and eat it too" without weight gain...its all about planning. Good luck...

Genell

This is what I desperately need to learn. I don't know what it is with me but it's like I get a taste of it and just want/desire more. There's a story that keirasmommy posted in a seperate thread that just spoke to me today and it just proves that this is what I need to do and CHOOSE to do. I'm back on program today and am going to get these last few pounds off. You're SO right Genell and thank you for sharing your advice.

leahruthie 10-27-2009 10:07 AM

i'm the same way, lynn--"just a taste" is somehow never enough for me, and that's something i need to get to the bottom of. :\

noahsmama 10-27-2009 11:35 AM

Leah I wish we could diagnose each other :) I think mine is just more of a choice but I also am going to explore the emotional connection that I have with food at a later point.

Hvnlymzic 10-27-2009 11:51 AM

When i say just a little bit, I'm talking about a tablespoon size serving of what I shouldn't have (sweet potato, creamed green beans, cranberries, etc) and a sliver...and i'm talking sliver (or a bite of someone else's) dessert.

Salad (bring your own dressing if you want...no one will mind), veggies (even if they're prepared with salt and bacon or whatever, as long as not creamed - especially veggie tray...if it's raw, you know there's nothing bad on it), 1 roll, turkey breast, water...all freebies. You'll get full faster than you think.

I'll also bring a 2-liter of Diet Rite...I'll have a glass with my meal and then water the rest of the time.

There are 2 keys for me... #1 - Stop when you're full. #2 - Teach yourself to enjoy without going overboard. Most of us (unless there was a medical issue) got where we are from overeating. Denying yourself on holidays is not the way to learn. That food will always be there...might as well teach yourself how to eat. Focus on the healthy foods, but don't run away from the other foods. By all means, if you're a purist and wanna eat the MRC correct cheesecake and eat only OP that day...DO IT. Thats what we're paying for right? I'll never discourage eating OP. I do it every day. I rarely cheat. But, if you're going to eat off plan foods, do it, but be smart. Think 90% OP and 10% off plan for the day.

RonnieAdl 10-27-2009 02:00 PM

I am also concerned about the holidays, especially since I am the one doing the cooking. I don't want to deprive my family of a nice holiday meal, but I don't want all the temptation that comes with hit either. I am also one of those people who can't have one piece of anything. I think I will just make less quantities of all the stuff so there won't really be any leftovers and that may help some.. Oh I am dreading Thanksgiving :(

VernDern 10-27-2009 02:07 PM

I plan on working out 3 times & filling up on plain turkey, fruit, and raw veggies. Maybe a spoon full of a few of the other stuff but I dont know what we're having yet! lol I think if I reach my goal for that week I'll allow myself a peice (SMALL peice) of dessert but we'll see!

desilu0 10-27-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchmom84 (Post 2987965)
Please tell me what MQ is.

MQ stands for the Meta-Quick plan which is a one week plan that has you either eating a meal replacement bar or drinking a meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch (along with the HNS drinks like normal) and eating a normal on program dinner. No bar and bar or shake and shake in one day, it's one for breakfast and the other for lunch. At least that's the gist of what I understood from my center.

GWE140 10-27-2009 05:38 PM

I think it is important to have a plan for Thanksgiving but just in case the plan changes on that day, with all the temptations, have a plan B to help stay in control of your eating...There have been many times in my past where I would say, "Oh Well, I blew it (diet) might as well eat everything"...and continue down this path...having plan B will help in creating limits...I know wine will be served during our Thanksgiving meal but I have decided that I will not have any, however plan B is to have 1 glass if I can not resists the festive mood...Oh and I do plan on taking the maximum fat/carb blocker...

porchmom84 10-27-2009 05:51 PM

I'm so scared that if I have a TASTE...that the cravings will come back the following days...and that the taste won't be just a taste....Oh I'm glad this thread is up so I can start mentally preparing for this. I WANT to enjoy the holiday!

shopgirl 10-27-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desilu0 (Post 2989516)
MQ stands for the Meta-Quick plan which is a one week plan that has you either eating a meal replacement bar or drinking a meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch (along with the HNS drinks like normal) and eating a normal on program dinner. No bar and bar or shake and shake in one day, it's one for breakfast and the other for lunch. At least that's the gist of what I understood from my center.

Hey, I'm on MQ b/c my center is having an MQ challenge this week. You can't have 2 bars in one day but you CAN have 2 shakes in one day (one at bfast and one at lunch). Hope that helps! :)

Pcherr001 10-27-2009 09:56 PM

I am so bad about saying oh well i cheated might as well eat whatever today. That is self sabatoge!!! I love your plan b idea.

ajowens 10-27-2009 10:01 PM

I am going to eat sensible up to the day. I am going to cook my butt off then I am going to eat. I will eat until I am full then I am with work out and go to bed and start the day a new!

Lori259 10-27-2009 10:07 PM

Enjoy the holidays ~The Do Not worry approach!

OK....I am proboly gonna get yelled at over my point of view on the holidays so Pleaseeee remember its Just my way And noone has to agree with it or do it.
I must say though I have lost 85.5 pounds So far... In a little over 11 months So I am very proud of my methods and must say it works.

Last year I had just started my journey with counting calories On november the 11th 2008 . When thanksgiving came a few days later I ate Without counting...Everything went fine...This year I plan to do the same...Not count calories for the day~But My stomach has shrank Big Time So I doubt I can eat as much As I did Last year. I think if we eat ON a day of celebration and have one or 2 worry free days out of the year ~It gives us something to look forward too!~Since we all love food...That way~We aint on edge just because it's a holiday.

Then For LAst year at Christmas I ate a Piece of Fudge Candy Over my calories ~I knew I loved the candy & that one piece was better than a whole pan~Like I normally would eat~I got my craving for the holiday over with and Had a super Holiday. I also ate a little over my calories on Christmas day.

I think the Do not worry Approach is a super approach~Just stay on track~and If you go off it a little on the holidays then ~Jump right back on it the next day~Noone is Perfect ~I just feel That worring is far more harmful than a day of enjoying a larger meal. Stress Is very unhealthy!

RN BSN 2009 10-27-2009 10:36 PM

Eat extra white meat turkey... real cranberry (without the added sugar).... tons of cream-free, butter free veggies... water.. and limit to one small piece of pie.

CJay 10-27-2009 10:44 PM

That sounds very reasonable! Focusing on protein (turkey breast) and fresh vegetables (even if cooked) and then seeing any extras as small amount "spices" for that day. And doing those HNS protein drinks and lots of water.

Lori123321 10-29-2009 05:07 AM

I usually work on Thanksgiving or go to my mom's house. Well this year I am working the night after Thanksgiving so I won't be able to go to Mom's and will end up cooking for the first time in years. Will probably invite my brother and some friends over. So this is a huge question for me, how to get through Thanksgiving. I like the idea of concentrating on Turkey and veggies, then eating a bite or two of other items. Taking carb and fat blocker for the wine and other residual effects of dinner. Not stressing too much about it and letting myself enjoy the time with friends and family. And buy storage containers to pack the leftovers in to send out the door with others since I will be tempted with mashed potatoes. Also thinking of the MQ for the week up to and after, since I have not done it before, might try it this week to see how I react to it. Just have purchase stuff when I WI tomorrow and figure it out myself if they don't encourage it. We will see!

whip1 10-29-2009 05:49 AM

I will have what ever I want in moderation and enjoy the holiday then back on track..

LaRee mother of 3 10-29-2009 09:28 AM

question.....last night I made "7" dozen cupcakes for a church fall festival party Friday...now...I had such a hard time making these things because they looked sooooo good. :drool: Did I have a few bites of batter....naaaa! :nose: After eating healthy for even just this week (I just started MRC) I had the worst belly ache last night. :barf: I was in the bathroom at 3:30 AM this morning and still have to keep running back at 8:20 this morning. Does anyone else find if they have a small cheat that they have stomach problems??? :?: Thanksgiving to me will not be the norm this year. Which is good, little bites of the things that I love and spend the rest with just enjoying my family! I don't want to spend my Thanksgiving in the bathroom! :thanks2:

whip1 10-29-2009 09:38 AM

I know what you mean after eating healthy and low fat for a long time I had a bite of a Mc D's cheeseburger and it made me feel sick.I just can't handle alot of fat now but before it would have been yummy .YUCK!

keirasmommy 10-29-2009 11:53 AM

I am getting a tonsillectomy the Thursday before Thanksgiving so I will not be eating any food for Thanksgiving.....just liquids. I will miss my pumpkin pie but there is always next year!

gish24 10-30-2009 12:31 PM

I plan on running in the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning at Lake Zorinsky (if any of my Omaha girls would like to join)...it's a great way to start off the holiday with a 4 mile run/walk!!!! Then if I do indulge in the 2-bite rule I may feel less guilty :)

TeresaG 10-30-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirasmommy (Post 2992119)
I am getting a tonsillectomy the Thursday before Thanksgiving so I will not be eating any food for Thanksgiving.....just liquids. I will miss my pumpkin pie but there is always next year!

That doesn't sound like fun at all. But the upside is not having the temptations because you can't eat them. Hope all goes well for you.

LaRee mother of 3 10-30-2009 12:39 PM

So fun!! I live in Papillion but I just don't know that I can do 4 miles....have to think about it. It does sound like a great time though!!

gish24 10-30-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRee mother of 3 (Post 2993578)
So fun!! I live in Papillion but I just don't know that I can do 4 miles....have to think about it. It does sound like a great time though!!

You can go as far as you like! We just to walk/run from the boat docks to 168th street and turn around. It's just something fun to kick off the day. Hope to see you there...it would be great to get a bunch of girls from the board down there!!!!

Roadqueen 10-30-2009 12:46 PM

These are all great ideas. This is a good thread.

For me...I must stay OP. I know that I am unable to "go off" even alittle without the food flood gates opening wide. When I get to my goal, then I will start learning how to do things within reason.

I'm cooking Thanksgiving Dinner....So my plan is to eat turkey breast, make some legal stuffing for myself (real for every one else) and make some veggies that I can eat. The BIG threat for me is pumpkin pie. So I'm not serving any this year.

It's only this one Thanksgiving.....I can do it and feel OK. I know that next year I will be at or below my goal and I will be able to eat reasonably and enjoy it all.

rn5192008 10-30-2009 08:45 PM

thanksgiving

Last year my center gave us this menu:

Breakfast: Clear Supplement
Breakfast Casserole(cookbook pg 18) or 1 serving Protein Group
1 or 3

Lunch: 4-6 oz. Turkey Breast
4oz. salad & Green Bean Casserole or 8 oz. salad
1/4 c of Sage and Savory dressing
1/4 c cranberry sauce or relish (optional)

Dessert: MRC Pumpkin Pie OR
MRC Pumpkin Cheesecake, 1/2 serving (cookbook pg 198) OR
Baked Apples (cookbook pg 176)

Dinner: 4 oz. turkey or other Group 3 Protein
4 oz. cooked or 8 oz. raw vegetables

Evening: Clear Supplement

Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes:

Chicken and Dumplings (cookbook pg 110) use turkey instead of chicken
Turkey Marsala pg. 127
Shrimp and Chicken Gumbo pg. 149 use tukey instead of chicken
Soup receipes pgs.- 36-53 sub or add turkey to any soup receipe

I'll post receipes not in cookbook on receipe thread

porchmom84 11-01-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWE140 (Post 2989536)
I think it is important to have a plan for Thanksgiving but just in case the plan changes on that day, with all the temptations, have a plan B to help stay in control of your eating...There have been many times in my past where I would say, "Oh Well, I blew it (diet) might as well eat everything"...and continue down this path...having plan B will help in creating limits...I know wine will be served during our Thanksgiving meal but I have decided that I will not have any, however plan B is to have 1 glass if I can not resists the festive mood...Oh and I do plan on taking the maximum fat/carb blocker...

Please tell me more about fat/carb blocker. I've heard of them. You've used before I guess and it worked for you? How many do you take, etc?

E4FEwife 11-01-2009 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Roadqueen;2993589]The BIG threat for me is pumpkin pie. So I'm not serving any this year.

QUOTE]

Make the pumpkin cheesecake and maybe add some extra pumpkin pie spice to make it more "pumpkin-y" Someone said there is a pumpkin pie recipe too; I'll have to check that out. Or make an apple pie with splenda & cinnamon.

Roadqueen 11-01-2009 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=E4FEwife;2995529]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadqueen (Post 2993589)
The BIG threat for me is pumpkin pie. So I'm not serving any this year.

QUOTE]

Make the pumpkin cheesecake and maybe add some extra pumpkin pie spice to make it more "pumpkin-y" Someone said there is a pumpkin pie recipe too; I'll have to check that out. Or make an apple pie with splenda & cinnamon.

Thanks, I will try that.
How will I count that for dessert after dinner? Do I just eat less turkey for the protein?

magnoliagirl 11-01-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchmom84 (Post 2995503)
Please tell me more about fat/carb blocker. I've heard of them. You've used before I guess and it worked for you? How many do you take, etc?

porchmom, when you find out what fat/carb blocker let me know, I have been
searching/looking. I went to the Vitamin store and they had a brand called
"Cheaters" but not sure and he did not know that much about the brand
either.
thanks, magnoliagirl