Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  
266/236/192

S/C/G: 266/236/192

Height: 5'10"

Talking Beautiful Brides contest

Hello everyone,

I don't know if any of the other ladies are on here but the centers in CO ran an essay contest at the beginning of April for Brides to be that were looking to lose weight for their weddings.

I was lucky enough to be one of the six winners. The Lakewood center is the one that is sponsoring me. I am so excited!!!! I could have never afforded this on my own.

They have offered the amazing gift of an all inclusive program for 16 weeks (ends the week before my big day, 9-9-09!).

I am sure I will get lost of support from the center, as I have done so already. But I thought I would post here and hopefully get some additional support.

I have a long ways to go but I have been on pre-conditioning for 3 days and have lost 3lbs. I start the beige menu on Saturday.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone is interested I can always post part of my essay too

start 266lbs
current 263 lbs
goal 186.5 lbs

Thanks in advance,
Kristalin
Kristalin180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  
Tired & disgusted...

S/C/G: 280/279/180-160

Height: 5'6"

i wish they'd do something like this here. i'm not engaged or anything but i think it'd get them a lot of good attention.

Good luck and we'll be cheering for ya!
ford4life69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #3  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristalin180 View Post
Hello everyone,

I don't know if any of the other ladies are on here but the centers in CO ran an essay contest at the beginning of April for Brides to be that were looking to lose weight for their weddings.

I was lucky enough to be one of the six winners. The Lakewood center is the one that is sponsoring me. I am so excited!!!! I could have never afforded this on my own.

They have offered the amazing gift of an all inclusive program for 16 weeks (ends the week before my big day, 9-9-09!).

I am sure I will get lost of support from the center, as I have done so already. But I thought I would post here and hopefully get some additional support.

I have a long ways to go but I have been on pre-conditioning for 3 days and have lost 3lbs. I start the beige menu on Saturday.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone is interested I can always post part of my essay too

start 266lbs
current 263 lbs
goal 186.5 lbs

Thanks in advance,
Kristalin

Kristalin,

Congratulations! That's so exciting and I'm so happy for you. I wondered what the results of the contest were (I'm in Greeley and they had it there too). I would love to see your essay. Also, come over to Take 34 to get tips, advice and to post for support.

I cannot wait to see your success!

Denise
namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #4  
266/236/192

Denise - thank you so much I just actually finished reading your blog. WOW! I hope I can be as successful as you. I actually met the girl that won in Greeley and I lived up there when I went to school at UNC. I entered thinking the usual self defeating things oh they will never pick me etc. But my fiance kept hounding me to do it bless his heart. Saturday was my first day on the beige menu, the weekend was really hard I find during the week it is soooo much easier. I WI on Saturday too, down 6 lbs. and my home scale this morning said 7lbs. I will post the essay here. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Anything helps

start - 266lbs
current 259lbs
Goal 186.5 lbs.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #5  
266/236/192

I know this is supposed to be about wanting to get healthy for my upcoming wedding but for me that would just be the icing on the cake.
A little about myself; my name is Kristalin G., I am 30 years old, currently I weigh 265 lbs., my BMI is 38, I am a first time mom to a lovely little 3 and a half month old daughter and the fiancé of the kindest man I have ever known.
My goal is to lose at least 50lbs by September 1st and to lose a total of 100lbs, however long it takes me.
I have been on the heavy side all of my life. I started my first diet at age 8. It was weight watchers and I went to the group every week with my mom and grandma or my mom and dad. Growing up food was a reward, a friend, someone I could always count on. Both my parents are on the heavy side and have been all of my life. My father suffers from Diabetes and High Blood pressure, they run in his family.
I couldn’t honestly tell you how many different diets I have been on during the last 22 years. But I can tell you that if I was fortunate enough to win this contest that it was only the last diet that mattered.
Just like all the other stories you hear I lost weight only to put in on then gain it and more back. At age 16 I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. Back then it wasn’t as widely known, or for that matter, diagnosed as it is today.
The “treatment” back then was to be put on medication that only made me gain more weight and the more weight I gained the worse my condition got and the more insulin resistant I became. It was a vicious cycle that I spent the next 13 years trying to survive. In 2003 I was told that due to my PCOS I would never be able to have children unless I had major medical intervention.
I was heart broken.
After living in the UK from 2001 to 2005, I moved back to Colorado, my home. I was fortunate enough to meet John, now my fiancé, in September 2005. Since I was no spring chicken at the time, and he is 5 years older than me, I was very honest with him about my condition and the fact I might not be able to have children. None of it seemed to matter to him, my condition, my size, he loved me for me.
We started to plan for our future together. We tried to take things slow as we had both been hurt badly in the past.
Between 2006 and 2008 we had some pretty major medical things happen. I had spinal fusion in 2007 to repair a back injury I suffered at 18. He had 2 knee surgeries for an accident he had in early 2007. We were the walking wounded. It seemed every time we got well and were ready to start getting healthy something else would come up.
Finally, in March 2008 we started planning our wedding for July 2009. We both started dieting and I had lost 20lbs. I was so proud of myself.
I then starting feeling unwell and being sick in the mornings. I couldn’t figure it out. Someone asked me if I could be pregnant. I told them not to be silly. I believed I couldn’t have children and for what it was worth I was on birth control to help my PCOS anyways. There was no way I was pregnant.
Then when I missed my monthly cycle I thought well I must just be late. It had happened before when I wasn’t feeling well. I bought a test anyways to just make myself feel better.
I sat and stared at those two blue lines for 20 minutes before I could even move!
This wasn’t supposed to happen; it wasn’t supposed to be possible.
After the shock wore off, I realized it was such a blessing.
When I went to the doctor for the first time he told me that when I lost that 20 pounds it was enough to jump start my cycle naturally and that the weight loss was probably the reason I got pregnant.
We were so excited and so were my parents.
The only problem, I knew that we wouldn’t be able to have the wedding only 6 months after my due date.
So we push the wedding off. Hoped that we could get it together by September of 2009.
During my pregnancy I watched my weight and only gained 14lbs. My doctor was actually proud of me, because I followed his recommendations.
Keeping true to form our daughter decided to surprise us again by coming four weeks early on December 24th, 2008. She is the best Christmas present we have ever received!
As soon as I got home from the hospital I started trying to lose weight again.
Not only so I could look nicer in my wedding dress, but so I could be healthy and there for my daughter.
Life with a baby and a full time job is a lot harder than I ever imagined. It is hard to find time to take a shower let alone work at a difficult weight loss program.
I need help. The problem, I can’t afford to pay out the nose for prepackaged foods, meetings, pills, shakes etc. Not with a new baby and trying to save for a wedding.
My hope is that if I can start to lose weight that it will encourage my fiancé, my mom and my dad to do the same.
I know that you will get lots of sob stories and probably a ton of stories just like mine. I can only hope that I will be lucky enough to be one of the six women you chose.
Please see the pictures attached to this email.
The first one is of the wedding dress I would love to be able to wear, I know it won’t be a size 2 but I hope to get down to at least a size 16 by my wedding day.
The second is of my daughter. The real reason I would love to have help to lose the weight. I want to be able to chase her, play and break the cycle of family obesity so I can be here and healthy enough to see her walk down the isle one day, without her having to diet to get into the wedding dress of her dreams.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

I have put a picture of my daughter in my profile

Last edited by Kristalin180; 04-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #6  
Denise

Quote:
Denise - thank you so much I just actually finished reading your blog. WOW! I hope I can be as successful as you. I actually met the girl that won in Greeley and I lived up there when I went to school at UNC. I entered thinking the usual self defeating things oh they will never pick me etc. But my fiance kept hounding me to do it bless his heart. Saturday was my first day on the beige menu, the weekend was really hard I find during the week it is soooo much easier. I WI on Saturday too, down 6 lbs. and my home scale this morning said 7lbs. I will post the essay here. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Anything helps

start - 266lbs
current 259lbs
Goal 186.5 lbs.
Thank you! And you know what? You will be successful, because of you... make yourself a freedom list ok? And carry it with you. You don't need to hope to be as successful as me; you will be! And it won't have anything to do with me. I'm just so happy that you won and have this wonderful gift to start this new journey (with your soon to be husband). Very exciting. Congratulations on the 6lb loss! You are kicking butt. I can't wait to see the essay!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #7  
266/236/192

ugh... can't seem to get the system to take her photo... I will have to figure this out at home tonight.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #8  
Denise

Quote:
I know this is supposed to be about wanting to get healthy for my upcoming wedding but for me that would just be the icing on the cake.
A little about myself; my name is Kristalin G., I am 30 years old, currently I weigh 265 lbs., my BMI is 38, I am a first time mom to a lovely little 3 and a half month old daughter and the fiancé of the kindest man I have ever known.
My goal is to lose at least 50lbs by September 1st and to lose a total of 100lbs, however long it takes me.
I have been on the heavy side all of my life. I started my first diet at age 8. It was weight watchers and I went to the group every week with my mom and grandma or my mom and dad. Growing up food was a reward, a friend, someone I could always count on. Both my parents are on the heavy side and have been all of my life. My father suffers from Diabetes and High Blood pressure, they run in his family.
I couldn’t honestly tell you how many different diets I have been on during the last 22 years. But I can tell you that if I was fortunate enough to win this contest that it was only the last diet that mattered.
Just like all the other stories you hear I lost weight only to put in on then gain it and more back. At age 16 I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. Back then it wasn’t as widely known, or for that matter, diagnosed as it is today.
The “treatment” back then was to be put on medication that only made me gain more weight and the more weight I gained the worse my condition got and the more insulin resistant I became. It was a vicious cycle that I spent the next 13 years trying to survive. In 2003 I was told that due to my PCOS I would never be able to have children unless I had major medical intervention.
I was heart broken.
After living in the UK from 2001 to 2005, I moved back to Colorado, my home. I was fortunate enough to meet John, now my fiancé, in September 2005. Since I was no spring chicken at the time, and he is 5 years older than me, I was very honest with him about my condition and the fact I might not be able to have children. None of it seemed to matter to him, my condition, my size, he loved me for me.
We started to plan for our future together. We tried to take things slow as we had both been hurt badly in the past.
Between 2006 and 2008 we had some pretty major medical things happen. I had spinal fusion in 2007 to repair a back injury I suffered at 18. He had 2 knee surgeries for an accident he had in early 2007. We were the walking wounded. It seemed every time we got well and were ready to start getting healthy something else would come up.
Finally, in March 2008 we started planning our wedding for July 2009. We both started dieting and I had lost 20lbs. I was so proud of myself.
I then starting feeling unwell and being sick in the mornings. I couldn’t figure it out. Someone asked me if I could be pregnant. I told them not to be silly. I believed I couldn’t have children and for what it was worth I was on birth control to help my PCOS anyways. There was no way I was pregnant.
Then when I missed my monthly cycle I thought well I must just be late. It had happened before when I wasn’t feeling well. I bought a test anyways to just make myself feel better.
I sat and stared at those two blue lines for 20 minutes before I could even move!
When I went to the doctor for the first time he told me that when I lost that 20 pounds it was enough to jump start my cycle naturally and that the weight loss was probably the reason I got pregnant.
The only problem, I knew that we wouldn’t be able to have the wedding only 6 months after my due date.
So we push the wedding off. Hoped that we could get it together by September of 2009.
During my pregnancy I watched my weight and only gained 14lbs. My doctor was actually proud of me, because I followed his recommendations.
Keeping true to form our daughter decided to surprise us again by coming four weeks early on December 24th, 2008. She is the best Christmas present we have ever received!
Not only so I could look nicer in my wedding dress, but so I could be healthy and there for my daughter.
Life with a baby and a full time job is a lot harder than I ever imagined. It is hard to find time to take a shower let alone work at a difficult weight loss program.
I need help. The problem, I can’t afford to pay out the nose for prepackaged foods, meetings, pills, shakes etc. Not with a new baby and trying to save for a wedding.
My hope is that if I can start to lose weight that it will encourage my fiancé, my mom and my dad to do the same.
I know that you will get lots of sob stories and probably a ton of stories just like mine. I can only hope that I will be lucky enough to be one of the six women you chose.
The first one is of the wedding dress I would love to be able to wear, I know it won’t be a size 2 but I hope to get down to at least a size 16 by my wedding day.
The second is of my daughter. The real reason I would love to have help to lose the weight. I want to be able to chase her, play and break the cycle of family obesity so I can be here and healthy enough to see her walk down the isle one day, without her having to diet to get into the wedding dress of her dreams.

That is just beautiful; amazing; powerful. You are there and ready. You are going to do a wonderful job! I loved your story. It's so familiar to many here, and being able to "say" the words gets it all out.... so you can move forward. Congratulations! You're life is about to change and I cannot wait to be there to watch and cheer you on!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I was heart broken.

Kristalin
I just read this for the 1st time and thought it was beautiful. Your mind is in the exact place it should be right now. Just keep that same focus and your are going to go far beyond your wildest dreams. Keep your letter in your purse, car, on your desk, next to your bed etc and just read it whenever you feel down or discouraged then take a moment to think of your daughter and just turn it around. There have been a few very difficult times in my life but by and far my weight has been far more challenging than any. I just keep reminding myself that with hard work, sacrifice and focus, I can do anything I put my mind to and so can you! I can't way to cheer you on as you make your way to your dreams You can do it!!!!
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #10  
Lynn

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Kristalin,

Yourstory is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing. You and I are very similar in age and with young children (mine is almost 19 months). I began pre-conditioning on 4/9 and l look forward to following you and sharing this journey together! Keep posting. Sometimes that's a life-saver for me.
noahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #11  
266/236/192

Thanks everyone. Today was a much better day. I think it is because during the week I can really keep to a schedule without any major problems. And even when I get home at night there is a structure. On weekends it just seems like I can't get the time to do what I need to do. Although maybe this weekend was a bit of a one off, I had my purse stolen on Saturday and it just kind of put me in a bad place all weekend. I didn't break program to where I ate what I shouldn't it was more I didn't eat what I should have (missed HNSs, missed fruit, timing was all off). Just stunk! Well enough moaning for me I have to go prep my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Plus tomorrow night is WI.
Hugs and sparkles to all
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/152

Height: 6'0"

Kristalin: Are you going to the Highlands Ranch center? I'm just guessing since you are in Littleton. I go to the Highlands Ranch center.
lcmaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #13  
266/236/192

lcmaly - Hi technically I am closer to the HR center but it is the Lakewood center that is "sponsoring" me so I go over there to WI etc. It isn't too bad because I have to pick my daughter up from my parents house which is over that way. They did say if I needed to I could go over to HR.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #14  
266/236/192

Just thought I would do a quick update.

I did invite the other brides who I had emails for... to join the board so hopefully they will post info here.

I am going to try and get my butt up in the morning to go to a 530am spin class at the gym ... wish me luck! LOL Think Garfield in the AM with me

According to the scale at the center I have lost 8.8 lbs in 12 days! Yeah for me According my home scale I am down 13!!!

I packed up all my maternity clothes (read big clothes I can hide in) this weekend. And I dug out my box of smaller clothes. Including my Goal outfit! A dress I have owned for almost 10years that "fit" in the dressing room but was never worn. I want to be able to wear it to fiance's sister's promotion ceremony that is right after the wedding.

BTW if anyone is looking for or you know of anyone that is looking for an AWESOME deal on a wedding location or event location in CO I HIGHLY recommend the Red Lion Restaurant in Boulder, CO, up in Boulder Canyon.

We went there this weekend and put the deposit down for the wedding They have amazing deals! And everyone was super nice.

Anyways... best get to bed since i have to be up at 430 to get to the gym.

hugs, sparkles and skinny dust to all.

start 4-20-09 - 266lbs
current 257.2 lbs
goal 186.5 lbs
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #15  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hi Kristalin,

I got your email and thought I would join you here. I read your essay and there were parts that sounded like I could have written it.

For all others, I am one of the other ladies that won with in the MRC brides contest. I really didn't think I had a chance, but here I am. I go to the center in Aurora. It is close to home which helps with a busy schedule.

I have had a pretty good start on the program. I am really excited and thankful that I was given this opportunity. I go back tomorrow for my next WI.

I am going to start walking at about 5 am with our 55lb puppy. Pretty soon he will weigh as much as I want to lose! Once I'm finished with school for the semester, I am going to go for a shorter walk in the evening again. The three of us play the WII, which if anyone hasn't tried it can kick your behind. My sides ache after spending 10 minutes hula hooping! It makes for fun with my son and fiance`.

My biggest problem has been being able to eat everything I'm supposed to. Sounds silly I know. I just keep trying to switch things around to get it all in. When I started weighing meat, I was amazed that I usually only ate about half that amount.

So far, I haven't wanted anything off menu and have been able to easily pass things by. Pepsi has probably seen a drop in sales, but I haven't even wanted one!

The support system here is great. Thanks everyone. I hope I can add to that for others.

Teresa
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote