Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/217/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Itchy... anyone else experience this?

Starting day 2 of Medifast.

Last night I started getting hives (just a few on my legs). Now I'm itching, especially in the palms of my hands. I took some Benadryl last night and will take some more now. So curious if ANYONE else experienced this when starting Medifast. I'm praying I'm not allergic to an ingredient in the products... I so don't want that to be the case. Hoping this is part of the detox.
InnerBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Innerbeauty, it is possible that you are allergic to the protein powder in the Medifast meals. I am, and I can't eat more than one a day without having a reaction. My reaction is not hives, however--but I have had them before with other soy protein products.

I am not a doctor, and if you start to have all-over itching or have trouble breathing you should go to an ER right away! Not kidding! This can be serious.

Stop using the meals and see if your symptoms go away.

I have to use substitutes for the meals--I have made up a modified Medifast-type program. If I could use the meals, I would, but it's not possible for me. I can give you some substitute ideas if you want.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I have seen people have this reaction as a soy allergy. You could try switching to non soy Medifast meals and see if it goes away. The whey based meals are the Chai, Hot Cocoa, Cappuccino, Eggs, Cran Mango drink, punch, Dark chocolate antioxidant shakes, cherry pomegranate shakes, and soft serves. Oh and some of the cream soups. You can check the Medifast site for specifics.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 09-22-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #4  

Thank you for your replies Jay & Lyn. I called MF office yesterday and they recommended I stop all products until I have a food test run. I'm so bummed because I was really looking forward to doing MF.

Jay, I'd love to hear how you use real food as an alternative. I'm going to do some reseach too and using Dr. A's book, try to come up with an alternative plan using real food.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have started a thread for foods that come close to the Medifast meal profile. Check it out!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I have started a thread for foods that come close to the Medifast meal profile. Check it out!

Jay
Thank you so much! Heading there to take a look now.