Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/170/135

Height: 5'5

Default New and... and what did I miss?

Hi all.
I just started MF today. I have a huge headache which is my biggest thing right now.
Question: I went to my local MF center yesterday. Everyone was very nice however, I left with no real knowledge from the staff of any of the products or of the program in general. I spoke with the dietician and consultant for about 5 minutes each, max. I would think I would have been weighed, measured, possibly had fat measured. No one asked of any food allergies. If I was a vegetarian. What would I like to achieve in the next few weeks. I did mention that i read some information on line before coming in but I would think still that there would be more information to share. I am a runner/ marathoner and had explained I have 5 races coming up in the next 5 months and would have thought some advice would have been given to my physical activities or perhaps that I should not follow Medifast quite yet (i read the limited exercise info last night when I got home). However, i am desperate to get some weight off and I know my risks and the days before I train extensively, i am guessing more calories will be taken. I was given the booklet and a quick run through, picked my foods and that's it.
Like I said, very nice staff. However, being in and out of the center in about 30 minutes was a bit frightening. I've had deeper consultations at Jenny Craig.
Did I miss something? Was I supposed to get more service?
189bgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't do the program with a center, so I don't have anything to tell you. You're supposed to go in weekly, yes? So you can bring this up next time you're in.

It might be better to ask this question on the official Medifast forum and see what replies you get there. www.medifast1.com, and then choose forums.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #3  
finding my inner athlete

S/C/G: 252/207/150

Height: 5' 2"

Did you sign up at a center and pay for their service? They should've weighed you and measured you at the very least.
jenesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/170/135

Height: 5'5

yes. i paid and signed up for their service at the center. I got a call on the way home asking me how much I weighed because they forgot to do so there.

Last edited by 189bgone; 08-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
189bgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/239/144

Height: 5'09"

I am on medifast thru the Take Shape for Life program. I was told to limit exercise for the first few wekks but could not do that because of my job. I have been working out for 2 hours a day since day one on medifast. I am tired but I had no choice.
mizjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/198/160

Height: 5'9

I'm doing medifast through one of the centers. I'd definitely bring up your concerns during your next meeting. I get weighed weekly, they ask about any challenges, offer tips, I get tested to see if I'm in ketosis, etc. Monthly, they take measurements and stick me on this machine that calculates body fat percentage, muscle mass, all that good stuff, basically to make sure I'm making good progress and to make sure I'm not losing muscle, which is really important to me since I'm pretty athletic. When I first started, they took my weight, blood pressure, body analysis, and made me go get a complete blood work up and sent all the information to a doctor so that I could be cleared to start the program. All of that was during my first routine weekly meeting though (I officially started on a Wednesday, but I wanted my weekly meetings on Fridays, so I was back in 2 days), so maybe they're waiting? They should have been more forward about the process and what to expect, and definitely should not be slacking as far as getting your weight/measurements/etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions though! Don't leave until you get satisfactory answers from them. It's what you're paying them for after all.

As far as your races, for the first ~10 days, I did cut back on my physical activity until I felt my body had adjusted to the new diet. I was told by the center's dietitian to increase my protein by a couple of ounces a day and to increase my carbs by eating more carb-heavy (but still medifast approved!) vegetables when I'm particularly active (this probably had to do with my ketosis levels being extremely high for weeks though, I'd ask your dietitian for something tailored to your needs). I cycle and I'm training for a couple of 100+ mile rides in the next few weeks. I haven't had to do anything different diet-wise during the training, but I am a little concerned about the day of - carbless fueling? omg!
godown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/214.6/148

Height: 5'8"

I think that if you do more than 45 minutes of vigorous exercise per day, you are supposed to do a 4/2 plan instead of the 5/1. You should really look into this, because it sounds dangerous to me to do a traditional MF 5/1 while running marathons.
Lyre is offline   Reply With Quote