Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/204.4/145

Height: 5'5''

Default After years on WW, starting MF

Hi - My story is like many here. I was successful at WW back in 2003, losing 70 lbs and keeping off ~60 of that until 2005. Then the weight crept back up, and I am just about 15 lbs below my heaviest, even though I have continued WW on/off since then. I've been reading your stories and have ordered MF - should start next week sometime. I'll give it a go, and as my husband is in the field for several months, I won't have "family" distractions as much and can be devoted to the plan. I must admit, though, that I am scared. Fasting has never really been my thing, as I was always super athletic (until I reached over 200 lbs) and couldn't be active if I didn't eat. I'm back to weightlifting and as weight comes off, I will want to exercise more. Also, I am nervous the weight will just come back on when I stop using the products.

My main question is: how does MF affect exercise ability?. I know they say 45 min a day. Does that mean light cardio, or just whatever you can do?

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to reading all your continued successes!!
heidilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #2  
TSM

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'7

The FAQ on Medifast's official website is awesome for these kinds of questions. I know, because I'm new, too - and I was hopping on the web checking my questions about ten times a day when I first heard of the program.

What I've read is that - if you're currently exercising regularly, they suggest you cut that routine in half for the first few weeks of the program so you're body can adjust to the low amount of calories you're taking in. Once you've let your body adjust, you can up the time and intensity - they just tell you to be aware of your body and not to push yourself too hard. I don't personally have any experience with this, but that's what Medifast says!

I figure that you could do the typical 5 and 1 diet, but instead of using the 55 shakes, use the 70 shakes. The 70 shakes have about 3 mg more of protein, and 10 calories more apiece - they're "recommended for men and for women who are active or prefer a higher protein count". I'm not sure how it effects your weight-loss, if at all, but I'm sure some of the veterans on here could tell you.

I worried about the same thing when I was doing my research on Medifast. A lot of people end up gaining weight back. But at the same time there are a lot of people who successfully, and permanently, lose weight using the program. I think that what it really comes down to is you. I hear a lot of people say - this isn't just a diet, it's a lifestyle change. And it really is. Medifast is a tool that can help you to become a healthy, happy person. If you look at it as a quick-fix, that's all it will be. I wouldn't be trying Medifast if I wasn't 100% sure that I am dedicated to making a lifelong change, and I think going in with that frame of mind is really the first step to succeeding in the long run on a program like this.

In any case, I'm sure you'll find the perfect way to personalize Medifast according to your needs. And good luck!

Last edited by TSM; 08-15-2009 at 01:54 PM.
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #3  

on day 2. so far, i've liked everything i've tasted. i'm waiting until tomorrow to try the eggs, though. i thought that, maybe with some green peppers and mushrooms, and salsa, they would taste OK. will find out.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #4  

I actually like the eggs. I think they taste just like the regular eggs. I add chives and garlic salt, but that's what I add normally, so no big difference.

Did you end up trying them?
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #5  

dear sidrah - i did, and they are my fav meal now. could you tell me how to cook the soups? i've tried microwaving, but they boil over and i lose most of the food. i've tried adding boiled water and letting it set, but doesn't work so well. any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/280/150

I had the same problem. You need a deep bowl, or get one like I have. It has a top on it and a steam vent that you can close or open. It helps prevent it from boiling over so much. I got mine at Walmart. I also suggest watching it and just stopping it if it starts to boil over. The first time I made the chicken noodle, the microwave was covered and tasted horrible. Now it's so much better. I also reduced the water a little bit, not a lot, that helped too.
Jadenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 339/332/190

Height: 5'11''

Hello Heidilee,

I am using MF as a way to jumpstart my weightloss. I plan to lose the bulk of my weight on their system, then do WW as my maintenance program. Since you are already familiar (and have been VERY successful on WW, congrats!) maybe that type of plan would work for you as well? Medifast does have a plan to help phase people off of the 5-1 plan and into maintenance, it is outlined in the book that comes with your first order. That could be another great option for you as well. Regardless, from the research I have done it is just smart to be mindful of carbs, or the weight WILL come back on. I wish you the best of luck!
DoonBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #8  

almost at the end of week two. i lost 10.5 pounds in the first week, but only 1 pound this week. i don't know if my body is just trying to play catch-up or something, but i find the low weight loss rather depressing. i will give the diet another week, but if i lose only 1 pound again, i think i will just go back to weight watchers. anyone else find hardly any weight loss the second week?