Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 225/205/150

Height: 5"8"

Ok people

I was feeling a little bored and thinking of going off plan and thought I would come to these boards for some encouragement! What do I find? A bunch of you who are already off of the plan and making all kinds of excuses!

The whole "zigzaging" your talking about used to be called the "rotation diet"

It does have some merit, however you can zig zag yourself right back up to gaining weight.

I think all of us need to get our buts out of our chairs and exercise. If we want to up our metabolism the thing to do is to lift weights. Build muscles and then your furnace will roar!

So come on people! Get with the program! Get back on plan or forget about it and go to Weight Watchers!
Vbevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #47  
Gettin' Veggie With It!

S/C/G: 02/16/11 196/184/125

Height: 5'8"

Ok, something happened when I went off of plan. I went to the mall at 180 had an arbys sandwhich (under 600 calories, I looked when I got home) and maybe 5 fries. The next morning I weighed myself and I gained 4 pounds?!?! What the heck was that?!?!? Today, I am at 183.6. How in the world is that even possible? It's not TOM, I did no other eating off of plan. I am a bit concerned. It makes absolutely no sense to me and there is no way the food weighted 4 pounds. Any thoughts?

Vbevens,

Thanks for the "official" name for zig zagging and the finger wag. I am done cheating. Although Sunday was my first actual day of serious off plan eating, it certainly wasn't worth what I am seeing on the scale now. Actually, I got off the scale very irritated this morning. (Ok Jen deep breaths) I need a shake!

Last edited by abovethedin; 03-18-2008 at 08:06 AM.
abovethedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #48  
Gettin' Veggie With It!

I just talked to my friend who is also on MF and she thinks that the extra weight gain is mainly water retention and all the extra "stuff" in processed food. I sure hope so. She did point out that there is no way I ate an extra 14,000 calories so it can't really be actual weight from food. That makes me feel much better but I still don't think it was worth the shock when I jumped on the scale. I hope everyone has a great and happy MF day!

Jen
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

I am new and just ordered Medifast yesterday, I am really looking forward to succeeding with this plan!! I look forward to getting to know you all.
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #50  

Hey above- Yes it is the sodium in processed food that makes you gain water, also I will bet you that you will drop that extra and then some in the next couple of days. That is what happens when you do the rotation!

Gerly-Welcome, you will enjoy amazing results with this program! You just won't believe how great it will be.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #51  
Shrinky Dink

S/C/G: 215/157/142

Hey Vbevens: Great pep talk! I started MF in Jan. and was pretty active on this board for awhile but then I started a challenge on the MF board and I have a hard time keeping up with too many forums. I still lurk here occassionally. Wondering how everybody's doing.
I am a true MF believer! I am so glad I found this program. It is changing my life. I still have rough spots. I'm not quite at my goal yet but I am getting close. What started out as me thinking, "I can do this for a month" has become, "I can do this until I reach my goal and then do Transition and Maintenence". I sure as heck don't want to gain this weight back after working so hard to lose it!
Abovethedin: About the Arby's sandwich, I'm thinking the carbs probably threw you right our of ketosis. Not sure, though. That's why I am so committed to going through the T&M phase of MF. I don't want to reach my goal for 5 minutes, eat a bagel and gain 5 pounds! I plan to re-introduce everything back into my diet slowly and really watch my fat and carbs.

Just don't give up! Thinking positive thoughts for everyone!

Last edited by Andiemom; 03-19-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Andiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #52  
Gettin' Veggie With It!

Andrea,

I am sure the Arby's sandwhich threw me right out of ketosis and not only that but even today 3 days later I have only lost 1.5 pounds of the 4 that I gained. I do think it has a lot to do with water retention but really, how long will it take to get back to normal? This is where I start to get concerned. I am just having a hard time understanding how one day and really just one sandwich, can do so much "damage" for so long. I think if things don't look better by tomorrow I am going to call MF tomorrow and ask what they think. Something just doesn't seem right to me but it could just be me.

Jen
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 152/144/130

Height: 5'1

Jen,

That happened to me too. Granted my "off plan" lasted 3 days and not just one Arby's sandwich, but a week later I still have only lost 2 lbs of the 4 I apparently gained during those three days. It's pretty frustrating because those 4 lost pounds were the only ones I had lost on Medifast so far! I decided I'd give it a week more and then see how I'm doing.

Rachel

Last edited by Rachel77; 03-19-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Rachel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #54  
Gettin' Veggie With It!

Rachel,

It can be a bit frustrating but MF really does work. Before I stated MF, I had resigned myself to staying at the weight I was at, even though just 5 years ago I was at the weight I now want to get back to. Stick with it, you will see amazing results.

Ok, well I know I have been talking about this for 3 days now but I feel much better. I just spoke to a woman at MF and she just reiterated what I had been told previously. There is no way I ate 4 pounds worth of calories and my body is just evaluating what I did give it. So, although I still haven't lost the "weight" I gained I feel much better that it is just mainly water. I don't think even if I wanted to "cheat" again, I would have it in me emotionally! I have been completely consumed with the gain of 4 pounds since Monday. This has definitely been a good lesson for me and has given me a new resolve. Maybe this is just the kick I needed so that I do not become complacent.

Have a wonderful MF day group!

Jen

Oh, one more thing I wanted to add. I really appreciate everyone on this thread. It is nice to be able to talk about accomplishments and concerns and receive all the great input.

Thanks group!

Last edited by abovethedin; 03-20-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #55  

Hi everyone! I have been out reading on the My Medifast.com board, man that is a hard core group! One poor person asked a simple question about having a drink during a celebration and she got so much judgement and "advice" I couldn't believe it

I just thought that I would come back here and let everyone know how I appreciate the fact that this group is supportive and positive all of the time.

All of that judgement is what got a lot of us in this place to begin with.

Andiemom-are you the person that lives in Salem? Ever come up to Portland?

How is everyone doing?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 AM   #56  
Shrinky Dink

I love this group, too! Very nice, supportive people here.
Vbev- I think I know the group you're talking about on the MF boards. I don't post on that particular board. I found a nice group of ladies on one of the challenge boards. It's good for me to be accountable once a week by posting my weight and challenging myself. I don't want to be scolded!

As I get closer to my goal weight I am getting a little nervous about how my body is going to react to changing back over to a regular diet. I have heard that when you go out of ketosis you are likely to see a gain. I have the MF book, The Secret Is Out, and I just printed off the transition charts so when I do hit my goal I will spend some time transitioning.

Yep...I'm in Salem. I don't get to Portland too often cuz I'm scared of driving in the traffic there but I have ventured over a few times. I have an aquaintance here who is a MF health advisor but she is pg. right now so she's not doing the program at this time. She's given me some helpful tips and encouragement. I have gotten most of my support and info. right here!

Thanks so much ladies!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #57  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiemom View Post
As I get closer to my goal weight I am getting a little nervous about how my body is going to react to changing back over to a regular diet. I have heard that when you go out of ketosis you are likely to see a gain.
Hi Andrea...congrats on getting so close to goal! I didn't have a problem gaining when I went into Transition esp. w/the first 3 stages (veggies, fruit, dairy). I was pretty active so that may be why...don't know. I also chose my new foods carefully & chose a lot of items that were lower cal/lower carb. I think that helped. My weight loss stabilized/stopped when I added in grains. No surprise there to me.

It takes a little while for most to find a Maintenance menu that will work for them. It's a learning process. You may want to start checking out the T&M threads over on MyMF. Great group & very helpful info too.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #58  
Shrinky Dink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesully View Post
Hi Andrea...congrats on getting so close to goal! I didn't have a problem gaining when I went into Transition esp. w/the first 3 stages (veggies, fruit, dairy). I was pretty active so that may be why...don't know. I also chose my new foods carefully & chose a lot of items that were lower cal/lower carb. I think that helped. My weight loss stabilized/stopped when I added in grains. No surprise there to me.

It takes a little while for most to find a Maintenance menu that will work for them. It's a learning process. You may want to start checking out the T&M threads over on MyMF. Great group & very helpful info too.
Thanks so much, Sue. I have started reading the T&M board for tips. I think I am most scared about adding the grains back in, but you're right that it is a learning process. I have decided this is a lifestyle change for me, not just a 'quick fix'. I like where I am and I don't want to go back! I appreciate your reply!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

Got my first shipment today!! So excited!!! I am thinking of starting on Monday. I can't wait to start!!!
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #60  

Plateau! I knew it was coming but here it is and I am discouraged.

Anyone have any good advice to get things moving again?