Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/214/165

Height: 5'10

Default Dying to Try MediFast

Hello,

I just finished reading through all the posts here on the Med forum and decided to ask for some advice. I have about 75 pounds to lose, I am 22/F 5'10. I have looked into the Medifast website and spent about 2 hours on it last night and really want to order the four week package. Thing is I don't have the money right now (have about a week to go till paycheck) but I was wondering if there was anyway to mimick the diet. I know its between 800-1000 calories, 80-85 carbs a day, 6 meals a day. I have protein powder, oatmeal, lots of skinless/boneless chicken breast, veggies....I would appreciate if there is someone who maybe did this and could tell me how to go about it until I can actually order my package. Thanks a lot!

- Smatini =)
Smatini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #2  
Master of disaster

S/C/G: 269/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

You'd be better off cutting out carbs, processed everything, and increasing your water. While you're waiting you can work on your thinking and getting prepared for a limited eating plan. The plan is carefully researched and put together by doctors - I would never presume I could mimic the calories, fat, carbs, and nutrients.

Here's another thought - rather than ordering the 4 week supply, how about ordering less right now and starting slightly earlier? How about the autoship - you get 2 free weeks? Keep in mind that the variety packs have items you might not order yourself.

Good luck and keep us updated.
michelle127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #3  
it's always something

If you're going to eat solid food, then you'll want to up your calories. Otherwise you won't be able to get in the nutrients you need. Medifast isn't a high protein diet, either, so those products wouldn't be a good trade in my personal opinion.

Have you tried Slimfast? That might work, if you follow the Slimfast recommendations for meals along with the slimfast products
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

My daughter is a vegetarian so MF didn't work for her. She is doing Slimfast and actually lost faster than I did on MF. She is a college student and had a hard time taking MF to school. She keeps her calories at a higher level which you might want to do.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/224/170

Height: 5'4

I was terified of the hair-loss that I read about taking Medifast , so I have been doing my own thing over the last 2 weeks.
I bougth a Soy Powder (Genesis) from Wal-Mart and 8th Ct soy milk (plain, light), I mix it according to directions. The shakes end up being 170 calories, 7 carbs each and I have 4 or 5 a day, depending sometimes I'll have a small salad at lunch. I have a L&G for dinner just like the plan. I drink about 60-80 oz water a day, and exercise. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and I have lost 14 lbs...and 2 pant sizes, with the inches lost.
And my hair is fine
Stormcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

Congrats Storm! Glad you found something that works for you. Are you getting enough vitamins? Have you tried going to thedailyplate.com or fitday.com and putting in what you are eating to see if you are getting all you need? 2 pants sizes is amazing!
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/214/165

Height: 5'10

Default Thanks!

I just wanted to thank those who responded to my post. I took your advice brookelizabeth and bought some Slim Fast shakes. I started yesterday and did six small meals (2 Shakes) with one being lean chicken and some veggies, drank 3 liters of water, did 1 hour of pilates and 45 min on the elliptical and today my weight is down 2.6 pounds, I know its just water weight but definitley a motivater. Thanks again everybody!! Hopefully Friday I can order the Medifast =]
Smatini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/177/150

Height: 5'-6"

I would be concerned about attempting to mimic the diet. Not that you couldn't create the same calorie and core nutrient levels in your diet, but if you find yourself hungry during this pre-MediFast phase, you may become discouraged before you even get started.

A healthier approach might be to start following the lean & green guidelines for your meals, with planned snacks at intervals that mimic the 5 + 1 schedule that you will be following when you do get started on the plan.
oshvay is offline   Reply With Quote