Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7"

Red face oatmeal :/

Hi Everyone! Well....Today is my start-up day! I'm starting with apple/cinnimon oatmeal this am. I can hardly get it down (I even added a sprinkle of cinnimon). Are there any tips? I ordered a few boxes of oatmeal, since I eat the regular kind and enjoy it.
Chelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm not on Medifast, so I don't really know how restricted you are, or if you have to eat specific provided oatmeal... I love my oatmeal, and I always slice a banana or some strawberries onto it... yummy!

Good luck!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/178/140

Height: 5'4"

I have a hard time with oatmeal also. I think it's the consistency...it just seems to stick in my throat.. yuck! I have tried putting fruit in it and that does help. Good luck!
Krazedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle5 View Post
Hi Everyone! Well....Today is my start-up day! I'm starting with apple/cinnimon oatmeal this am. I can hardly get it down (I even added a sprinkle of cinnimon). Are there any tips? I ordered a few boxes of oatmeal, since I eat the regular kind and enjoy it.
Aw, how rotten that your first Medifast meal sucked. I have troubles with the oatmeal, too. This is totally fixable, though. Tere is a recipe somewhere where you mix a pack of oatmeal with a pack of eggs and make pancakes...and I have also seen one where you mix oatmeal, banana pudding and eggs to make muffins. I think you add baking powder to both to make them rise. Check out the recipe section of the Medifast proper site, and also the "Lean Cuisine" section of the makemethinner Medifast support forum. I would post links but I don't think we're allowed, and I don't have enough posts yet to pm.

Hang in there. I swear, it gets better!
Mavesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

OK, the Medifast oatmeal isn't like the regular instant oatmeal you may be used to. It is more of a hot cereal. Try cooking it on the stove or microwave it in a large soup mug until it's really bubbling. (Some people soak it but I haven't tried that) Experiment w/the amount of water...I like mine thick so I use 5 oz. but others prefer it soupy & use more.

I use these added after it is cooked:
  • apple cinnamon w/1 TBS of SF caramel syrup
  • maple brown sugar w/a little Sweet n Low or SugarTwin Brown Sugar OR 1 TBS SF maple syrup
  • blueberry w/a French Vanilla Splenda stick
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #6  

I just started this morning too! I also had the apple/cinnamon oatmeal. I let it sit for a bit and thicken. I also spinkled a pinch of pumpkin pie spice. It wasn't so bad. I've always enjoyed hot cereals so it was good. Does anyone know if the splenda brown sugar is allowed? I'll have to check it out... That would be good too.
judybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Hey girl!

i did not really like my oatmeal either so i posted a few recipes that i found on the mymedifast website that i actually enjoyed. YOu shoukd check them out in the thread Medifast recipes!
You can also make MF pancakes with them by mixing:
1 MF oatmeal
1/4 c of egg beater
2 or 4 T of water
mix until you reach the desired consistency then pour on a hot griddle.

It is pretty good (for a diet )! I put some ICBINB on mine with a little bit of WF sugar free strawberry spread!

Oh and by the way, Fruits ARE NOT allowed on the plan! Just thought i would let you know so that it does not hurt your weight loss!!!

Last edited by Floprieto; 01-22-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #8  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybeans View Post
Does anyone know if the splenda brown sugar is allowed?
Splenda Brown Sugar is a mix of Splenda & real brown sugar so it is NOT allowed. Too bad because it is so tasty. I ended up using Sweet n Low brown or SugarTwin brown instead.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #9  

thanks! Hey Flo! I'm gonna do this! I have to!!
P.S. What's soaking?

Last edited by Chelle5; 01-22-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #10  

Soaking means that you add the water and let the mix of the MF meal and the water sit on the counter for a while (like 20/30 minutes).

I hope this help
Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesully View Post
Splenda Brown Sugar is a mix of Splenda & real brown sugar so it is NOT allowed. Too bad because it is so tasty. I ended up using Sweet n Low brown or SugarTwin brown instead.

Thanks Sue! That is too bad. It's good. Oh well...
judybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #12  

I'm sending the oatmeal back. I have 4 boxes and i KNOW I won't be able to get them down... I'm exchanging them.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #13  

Have you tried the banana bread recipe or even the pancakes? I really use mine that way only!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 403/250/150

Height: 5'8"

I just eat regular oatmeal and I love it, I don't eat special oatmeal though, and I add a little fat free milk to mine.
violaholladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #15  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaholladay View Post
I just eat regular oatmeal and I love it, I don't eat special oatmeal though, and I add a little fat free milk to mine.
OK, I know the plan has changed several times since I started & I don't always keep up, but when did they add regular oatmeal & FF milk to Medifast??