Old 09-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/Ticker/160

Height: 5"5"

Default Dieting with Diabetes and Medifast

Would like to hear about Diabetics who diet with Medifast.
Did you use the regular or the diabetic versions?
Fabulous50Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #2  
it's always something

Hi, welcome to 3FC

We don't have many members using Medifast, so you may not bump into any in our Diabetes forum. I've moved your post to our Medifast (Nutrisystem, etc) forum, hopefully if any of our Medifast users are diabetic, they can let you know
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #3  

Default Diabetics who use Medifast

Suz,
Somewhat dissappointed that you found my question inappropriate, and moved it to the other thread, but that's OK will get replys from both threads.
Thank you for the Welcome.
Let me say in my defense that I was interested in replys from other diabetics, like me, about a diet plan that I am considering using for myself. Wouldn't that qualify for a "Dieting with obstacles" thread?
Is there some reason why a type II diabetic should not use a plan like this to lose weight, that I don't know about? Of course that was the first thing that my doctor said to me upon diagnosis. My Reasearch tells me that Medifast offers several versions of their product. Regular, Diabetic, Vegetarian, and Senior. Maybe a couple more. The replys that I was seeking was wether the diabetic version worked better, or wether the regular version was too many calories for a diabetic, etc.
I have been reading this board for quite a while now, and have finally signed on to ask a question, when I get time will get to putting a picture on and the
weight loss progress thing.
J in Houston
1500 mg Metformin
380 mg Starlix
Mycardis for HBP
Low Dose Aspirin
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Fabulous50Texas!

Things are sometimes slow around here on holiday weekends... hopefully some folks will post in response to your question in the next couple of days.

Mods and admins try to place threads where they will get the most response--it's not that your post is inappropriate!

From what I've read, Medifast for Diabetics is supposed to be quite helpful, but I'm not diabetic and therefore really can't give you any firsthand information about it.

Glad to "see" you here!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Hi Fab,

My mom has diabetes and used Medifast and that got me on it so I can tell you a bit about it although it'll be a bit long...

My mom had Type II diabetes and very high blood pressure. Her doctor had been ready to add two more blood pressure medications to the four she was already taking. She couldn't handle that so decided to find a more wholistic doctor that would work with her to use diet and exercise as part of her plan not just push pills down her throat. Her new doctor recommended Medifast. Through Medifast my mom not only lost over 90 pounds but is now off all her diabetes and blood pressure medication. Both her diabetes and blood pressure are in the normal range. She works out 3 times a week with my dad and is super happy. BTW she's 70 years old. It took her over 1 1/2 years to lose the weight and she's still working on losing more but it's always better to lose slower rather than quickly.

Well I took one look at her and was floored. I decided I'd try the program and see how it worked for me. So here I am at 163 (size 10/12), down from 235 (size 24). I would like to lose about 10-15 pounds more but needed to take a "losing break" and maintain for a while. If I never lose these last pounds I'll be fine with it. I've been at 165-160 for about 9 months now. I think the biggest thing about this plan is just like all plans you have to plan for maintenance. I would recommend following their Transition and Maintenance plans. You can't go back to your old ways of eating or your weight will come back on. Through Medifast I learned portion control. Through 3FCs I learned about nutrition, maintenance, and Whole Foods. I changed my lifestyle to change my life.

I'm so grateful to my Mom's doctor for recommending this plan and grateful to her for passing it on to me. I'm proud of myself and my Mom. I will say it's not totally easy but it's the easiest weight loss either of us has ever experienced. The hardest part is keeping it off but I finally feel like this time I actually am and will. So far so good.

I wish you all the best in your journey and please feel free to ask any questions!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Oh, I forgot the second part of your post, LOL

She used both the regular and diabetic foods. She worked with her doctor to determine what was best for her and changed things up as needed. I'd talk to your doctor/nurse/nutritionist for their advice on what's best for you. There is a link on their website to find doctors that are informed about this plan. There may be one near you that you can consult with.
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #7  

Thank You! Your Story is so helpful, exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #8  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Hi there, I'm a type 2 diabetic and just started the New Lifestyle Diet. I looked at Medifast - and if you check some of these plans, they use the same "food" products made by the same manufacturer. I believe with Medifast it is doctor supervised. NLD is not, although I went to my doc first, as I needed to know if I should decrease my dose of metformin - the answer was yes.

I checked out the nutritional information for medifast "for diabetics" compared to NLD. NLD actually has less sugar/carbs! And it costs less money. Since my primary doc is insisting on seeing me every month while I do this, and NLD's product is made by the same manufacturer, I chose NLD.

For the first time, I've had BG readings at 100...yippee!! How can it not go down, with what I'm eating!! My blood pressure has gone down too, and I can't wait to have my cholesterol checked as well (I'm Metabolic Syndrome, too).

For me, low carb in any diet is the only way I've EVER been able to lose any weight. NLD or the other liquid diets is structured and doesn't allow me to make much choice during my weight loss phase, which is what I need. After I lose the weight, I know how to eat low carb and will follow a low glycemic way of eating for the rest of my life.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

justducky2,

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Alrighty, now don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you want to do a liquid diet? I have no doubt in my mind that you will lose weight, but I also imagine the transition from liquid diet back to regular food will be challenging. That's just my opinion, though - I'm more the kind of person that thinks a weight loss journey should be a lifestyle change, because I believe that is the only way you can truly stick with it.

While saying that...
I obviously have no experiences with Medifast or anything like it, but from my knowledge of type 2 diabetes and weight loss, the "diabetic" version may be your best bet (since, after all, it is tailored to people with type 2 diabetes trying to lose weight), though watch out for sugar alcohols - a lot of sugar free and artificially sweetened products contain them, and while they may work great as sweetners, BEWARE of... well, the side effects!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #11  

Not taken at all,
congrats on your success, reading your ticker. I am born in August too.
I am an emotional, stress eater, employed full time, plus more, work odd hours
and I thought that something like that would detox me, was only considering for 30 days, to try and get the show going.
I also have a 6'5" healthy husband to cook for, which makes it double difficult.
Still looking at other things like Jenny Craig, (Valerie looks wonderful), diet to go, nutrisystem, dietgourmet, etc.
Much success to you shane, and I like the new picture.
Fab50
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #12  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
Hi there, I'm a type 2 diabetic and just started the New Lifestyle Diet. I looked at Medifast - and if you check some of these plans, they use the same "food" products made by the same manufacturer.

Medifast products are manufactured by Jason Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and are only available through Medifast.

NLD products are manuractured by Robard Corporation and are available under several brand names and sold by several online diet stores. NLD buys them from Robard and markets them under their name.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote