The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 AM   #1  

Default Anyone read "The 9 Truths about Weight Loss" ?

Hi folks:

I found this book at thrift store and am finding a lot of helpful info. It's written by Daniel S Kirschenbaum, PhD; published in 2000. He quotes the National Registry and uses many examples of the successful maintainers statistics throughout the first 3 chapters I've read.

I'm reading his chapter on "stages of change" right now, and am finding much comfort. Seems I've gone thru his stages honeymoon and frustration and I am passing into the acceptance stage - that this will indeed become a lifelong venture, and I will make it through my backslide episode. He has examples of others that have developed some of the same thoughts that I have found myself thinking the last month or so as I'm heading back to goal.

This quote is exactly where I find my thoughts drifting lately.... " You essentially have a peaceful sense of resolve about your body and what it requires to succeed in this incredibly challenging task."

Just wondering if anyone else has read this book, and if they found encouragement like I have..... Allie

Still up a few pounds, but still maintaining a 100 loss for 9 months
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I'm re-reading that book now. I find lots of it very helpful, the three stages you mentioned, the consistency he advocates. I really like the biology lessons about why weight loss is hard, and why in the end that doesn't matter because 'Biology is not destiny'.

The one thing I dislike about the book is his extreme low-fat, high-carb approach to eating. For example, it contains a menu for just 850 cal per day, and advices readers not to eat avocados and olives. The advice just doesn't match up with the latest satiety science, something I find sort of puzzling since one of Kirschenbaum's criticisms of other 'diet' books is that they just don't use the science available in the peer-reviewed literature. For nutrition/eating information and strategies, Barbara Rolls has written 'Volumetrics' which seems to have more solid satiety science behind it, and just works better for me personally as well.

With that caveat, I think '9 Truths' is a generally a good book, worth the read. Kirschenbaum has some very good advice when he stays away from nutrition--the behavioral and motivational stuff, mixed with a healthy dose of reality seems about right me. It'd be worth adding to the list of books for the discussion list when the time comes.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:27 AM   #3  
Meg

Thanks for the reviews - it sounds like it's definitely worth a read.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #4  

Hi Anne:

As I read further in the book, I too was not happy with his extremely low fat approach. I skimmed thru the nutrition section - cuz I'm basically pleased with the foods I eat, and not in the mood to change my eating patterns much right now. I think I need to work more on portion distortion.

I did get a boost in the enthusiasm from his excuses to not exercise section. Kinda sounded a bit too familiar. I got a chuckle on myself a time or two.

I haven't read his last chapter yet on maintenance - that's what I'm interested in the most. Long term maintenance of what I've accomplished. I'm looking for more hints and tips of what to expect along the way. I guess that's why I liked the parts about the stages he's found in his research of the weight loss registry.

I also found "Eating Thin for Life" published in 1997 - a few years after my copy of Thin for Life. It looks like it has some good intro chapters with "food secrets of the masters" before it gets into recipes.

I came home with 4 or 5 books with promising titles. I like the pictures in "Picture Perfect Weight Loss" where he compares different servings of different foods that are similar and gives the calorie breakdown. For a quick scan, it gives me ideas to get when I eat out, or where I've allowed "portion creep" to get established.... or whatever you call it when you start to eat more without really realizing it. I guess I could actually read what he has to say..... silly me, I like looking at the pictures.

It's been 3-4 months since I went looking for new ideas in the shelves of the thrift store. It's great to get a book for $1. I always find some new nugget to help me through a challenge. Sometimes it helps me to define the challenge, and then I can work on my own solution.

Gosh, I've rambled on. Thank you Anne for your insight into the book, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Allie

Still up a few, but still maintaining over 100 loss.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I haven't read the 9 Truths, but I HAVE read another (earlier) book written by Daniel Kirschenbaum titled Weight Loss Through Persistence: Making Science Work for You. In his excellent book Fat of the Land: The Obesity Epidemic and How Overweight Americans Can Help Themselves, Michael Fumento recommended Weight Loss Through Persistence along with a very short list of other weight-related books, which included Thin for Life and Diary of a Fat Housewife among others.

I just checked the Amazon page on WLTP, and apparently 9 Truths is kind of a 'rewrite' or 'revision' of the earlier book - the editorial review on Amazon for WLTP reads as follows:

Quote:
Successful weight control isn't simply the result of any practical diet plan or exercise program--it's tied to the fact that regardless of the method they choose, people who doggedly persist in pursuing their goal to slim down are more likely to achieve it. The key is to survive the phases one goes through when losing weight.
VERY true - and IMO this is the very reason that at both the Ladies who Lift forum and here at Maintainers, no one diet plan is 'advocated'. Everyone has their own path to tread to get to their final destination, KWIM?
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 PM   #6  

Hi Mrs. Jim:

I really like the quote you put in the little box. I think that's where I'm spending some time thinking lately. Reminding myself that if I am persistent in my exercise and limiting food intake... that I'll get back to goal in time.

There is no big rush. I just don't have the umph right now to mount a full blown attack on the extra pounds. I'm looking to do a more modified and slower loss right now. I guess reading in that book helped me to realize that this approach will be ok, as long as I don't give up on myself and turn negative. This is the first time ever in my life (52 now) that I haven't given up when I've gained more than 10 over goal. For me this is a whole new behavior. I think it is a very important step in my approach to my permanent weight management skills.

I will check e-bay for the other books you mentioned. They might make for a good read thru. I scan thru many chapters and read the ones that seem to address a problem behavior I'm working thru.

I also like "The Thin Book" by Jeanne Eddy Westin - It's a page a day type book. "365 daily aids for fat-free, guilt-free, binge-free living." No recipes, just psychological hints and tips to help along the way.

Allie
"Sometimes we want to fold up our dreams and put them away. Then from somewhere inside, there comes a song of courage and we know we can never give up."
From a calendar I bought last year.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #7  

I love to read books re. wl and maintaining and recovery in general. They provide such good motivation over time. Many good books have been recommended here recently and I am going to track many of them down. I figure if I buy a book and even get one good idea that aids in my quest, its well worth it.

Of course you dont have to buy every book you are interested in reading. There is always the public library. Many libraries are now on line and you can check their catalog, and perhaps even reserve books over the home computer. Our small town local library is also connected to several other libraries in our county and will order thru inter-library loan any book you want from any library in the system, and for a small fee (50 cents) send you a postcard when they get it so you can pick it up locally. If its a book you really like, then you can buy it wherever you can find it.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:25 PM   #8  

Mrs. Jim --

Quote:
Everyone has their own path to tread to get to their final destination, KWIM?
KWIM?????

Luanne
mscelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 AM   #9  
Meg

KWIM = Know What I Mean.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #10  
Curvy Vixen

thanx for the info... and the quote is right on!!
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #11  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

I have read bits and parts of this book but I just couldn't get into it. I really couldn't grasp the lowfat approach. I have just chosen to burn calories and eat less. I have made healthier eating choices and devoted myself to a new lifestyle. i am jusr sticking to what I do and praying that God directs me with slef control and guidance.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I picked this up in the library this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Nothin' new. I skimmed a lot of the psychobabble, I confess.
I don't mind his talk of low fat. I think all of us need to be mindful of the fats in foods. If we strive for less .... maybe not as low as he suggests but ... lower.
He makes some good points about aging and what we think of as normal aging ... which is really disuse and sedentary-ism.
He's very good about exercise and weight lifting.

It was definitely worth a read.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote