The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 06-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/157/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Default The Big Skinny by Carol Lay

Carol Lay is a cartoonist who does a lot of work about her own life. Her new book is "The Big Skinny: How I Changed My Fattitude" in which she describes how she was always overweight, failed at WW, etc., and didn't really get a hold of her weight until she followed the maxim "eat less, move more."

Her weight loss advice is all pretty straightforward. Her depictions of interactions with friends is pretty funny -- the opening page, in fact, is a hostess at a party who hasn't seen her in a while and is amazed at how she looks. She asks, "How did you do it?" Carol responds, "I count calories and exercise every day." Followed by several panels of the hostess just staring at her, silent, until she says, "Gotta go, bye." Then Carol wonders what the woman wanted her to say: "Liposuction? Pills? Strictly watermelon?"

Anyhow -- there's nothing groundbreaking in there, but it's nice to see a story about a woman who changed her body and appearance the old-fashioned way, not through some gimmick.
Dianeofnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Put it on hold at the library!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean about nothing ground breaking, but nevertheless, I do enjoy reading about yet another person who's "gotten it".

Funny how the "eat less, move more" did it for her. For some it's just too simplistic, but it just may have been that simplicity that struck a chord with Carol.

So excited, our newly renovated and under construction for over 2 years - library - will be re-opening June 11. This is just another book I've got on my list.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #5  
Overcomer

S/C/G: 500/432/170

Height: 5' 5"

I picked this book up at the used book store about a month ago. It was simple and straightforward. Just the ticket for my 13 year old daughter who is trying to lose weight too.
Belinda0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5

sounds interesting
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #7  
Long-term maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeofnka View Post
Her weight loss advice is all pretty straightforward. Her depictions of interactions with friends is pretty funny -- the opening page, in fact, is a hostess at a party who hasn't seen her in a while and is amazed at how she looks. She asks, "How did you do it?" Carol responds, "I count calories and exercise every day." Followed by several panels of the hostess just staring at her, silent, until she says, "Gotta go, bye." Then Carol wonders what the woman wanted her to say: "Liposuction? Pills? Strictly watermelon?"
Heh. Haven't we all had those conversations?
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote